Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ok, the 200tw 2015 autox/track tire questions...

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 02:29 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by greendot
I always loved my Hoosiers.

Now I love them even more
Funny, I was just thinking about how much I love endurance racing vs autocross
Old 03-18-2015, 02:37 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

FWIW, we ran the new Z2 SS at NCM last weekend. 255/40-17 front and 275/35-18 rear. All 4 drivers including myself really liked them both in the dry and wet. It was a diverse group of cars, but we set FTOD both days on them. Autocross may be different since you don't have to worry about wear, but overall I think they're a worthy successor to the Z1, and far better than the Z2. Wear was perfect right down to smooth, no chunking, feathering, or anything of the sort. Great tires...
Old 03-18-2015, 02:39 PM
Xian
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

IMO, some of you are making a mountain out of a molehill. The Dixie Tour showed a good spread of different tires at the front. Are the Bridgestones the "tire to have" this second? Yeah, probably but that's equal parts "good tire" and "they've got contingency available". It's not like the Dunlop and the Hankook turned to complete crap overnight. For anyone NOT doing a ton of Tour's and Nat's, I haven't seen real evidence that you have to be on the Bridgestone to win. Unsurprisingly the biggie is driver skill/talent (still).

Christian, who always enjoys hearing how much folks love to cling to their R-comp ideals.
Old 03-18-2015, 08:14 PM
hklvette
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Xian
IMO, some of you are making a mountain out of a molehill. The Dixie Tour showed a good spread of different tires at the front. Are the Bridgestones the "tire to have" this second? Yeah, probably but that's equal parts "good tire" and "they've got contingency available". It's not like the Dunlop and the Hankook turned to complete crap overnight. For anyone NOT doing a ton of Tour's and Nat's, I haven't seen real evidence that you have to be on the Bridgestone to win. Unsurprisingly the biggie is driver skill/talent (still).

Christian, who always enjoys hearing how much folks love to cling to their R-comp ideals.
You mean its still not about the car and/or what parts are on it?
Old 03-18-2015, 09:03 PM
justkickin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True, but my dilemma is I am on the previous gen Z2's that won't last the season and registration opens for Spring Nats next week. Would rather not go down there on last years Z2's and if history repeats itself (which it never does right...lol), the 315 Rival-S won't be available until September.

I am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on the Re-71R square 275's, mostly because well Sam and availability (in that order). At least then I can drive down on them. Driving down on that short Z2 would kind of suck.
Old 03-18-2015, 09:14 PM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

aaahhh, we still need driver skill. Dangit!

And I still like R-comps, just my bank account that complains...
Old 03-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Xian
Racer

The distributors (TR and Phils) are stating the 315 will be out at the end of the month...
Old 03-18-2015, 09:29 PM
talon95
Pro

Originally Posted by justkickin
True, but my dilemma is I am on the previous gen Z2's that won't last the season and registration opens for Spring Nats next week. Would rather not go down there on last years Z2's and if history repeats itself (which it never does right...lol), the 315 Rival-S won't be available until September.

I am thinking seriously about pulling the trigger on the Re-71R square 275's, mostly because well Sam and availability (in that order). At least then I can drive down on them. Driving down on that short Z2 would kind of suck.
I hope BFG does a better job with supply this time. They did move production from some truck plant to motorsports tire plant or some such thing, so that may help. (fingers crossed)

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthr...=1#post1576036
Old 03-18-2015, 09:31 PM
justkickin
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They said that the first year of the current Rival as well. Gotta love the preseason. Lol
Old 03-18-2015, 09:51 PM
Xian
Racer

They said that the first year of the current Rival as well. Gotta love the preseason. Lol
The difference being that they've gotta have enough out to meet eligibility requirements this year and they've got a much smaller population of tires for the line (10 of them).
Old 03-18-2015, 11:20 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by talon95
I hope BFG does a better job with supply this time. They did move production from some truck plant to motorsports tire plant or some such thing, so that may help. (fingers crossed)

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthr...=1#post1576036
Probably because that is where the R1 compounds are born. Do the math. Supposedly way faster. They certainly squeal less, I was running the Solo Trials at the same time and it was a marked difference.

I think you have two street tires that are 200TW R's now. Insert laughter here. It won't end here, and I suspect both will like to be shaved.
Old 03-19-2015, 07:50 AM
talon95
Pro

Yea I've been pretty pessimistic about this too and have posted as much before. Their track record sucks in supplying tires. I guess I'm just hoping they'll get it right this time.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:52 AM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Probably because that is where the R1 compounds are born. Do the math. Supposedly way faster. They certainly squeal less, I was running the Solo Trials at the same time and it was a marked difference.

I think you have two street tires that are 200TW R's now. Insert laughter here. It won't end here, and I suspect both will like to be shaved.
Nah. The Rival-S comes "pre-shaved" with 7/32nds.

BTW, anyone know the tread depth for the RE71R? I'm assuming it's a more traditional 8-9/32nds?
Old 03-19-2015, 03:31 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Nah. The Rival-S comes "pre-shaved" with 7/32nds.

BTW, anyone know the tread depth for the RE71R? I'm assuming it's a more traditional 8-9/32nds?
Tire Rack specs say 8/32nds - looks like the RE71R is more hardcore than the RE11 (no surprise really). I really like my RE11's as an all purpose tire, it's too bad they're outclassed in dry performance. They feel great wet and dry.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by Awesome Folks at TR

TR expects to add the V720's to the website within the next couple of weeks. The first round of V720's are still a few weeks away, but due to the lead time and shelf life of our Spring Inside Track print catalog they were included as a "Coming Soon" item. Kumho is fully aware of the SCCA's April 30th deadline and intends to meet it. The initial sizes will be limited to the following (Don't shoot the messenger...plz) While we can't announce pricing yet, it will be the least expensive of the new crop of Extreme Performance Tires. Kumho has not released any information on possible future sizes yet, they will likely wait to see how this first round of product performs before committing further to the US market.

205/50R15 KU ECSTA V720
225/50R16 KU ECSTA V720
215/45R17 KU ECSTA V720
225/45R17 KU ECSTA V720
245/40R17 KU ECSTA V720
245/40R18 KU ECSTA V720
Looks like the 720 won't be a Corvette tire initially...
Old 03-27-2015, 10:17 AM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is there any word on whether or not the RE-71R is going to be available in wider sizes than 275? Was kind of hoping it would have the same size range as the RE-11
Old 03-27-2015, 10:23 AM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by SteveC68
Is there any word on whether or not the RE-71R is going to be available in wider sizes than 275? Was kind of hoping it would have the same size range as the RE-11
Yep, word is "no". Per feedback from TR earlier and my (and other's) conversations with the Bridgestone guys at Dixie, the 275 is the widest that's coming here this season. There's a long shot that they may release a 285/30 18 next season but even that is iffy. They said that, at this time, there were no plans to offer it in big sizes like the RE-11.

Get notified of new replies

To Ok, the 200tw 2015 autox/track tire questions...

Old 03-27-2015, 10:41 AM
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Yep, word is "no". Per feedback from TR earlier and my (and other's) conversations with the Bridgestone guys at Dixie, the 275 is the widest that's coming here this season. There's a long shot that they may release a 285/30 18 next season but even that is iffy. They said that, at this time, there were no plans to offer it in big sizes like the RE-11.
Did you ask why they hate the c5/6?
Old 03-27-2015, 10:53 AM
Xian
Racer

Originally Posted by 383
Did you ask why they hate the c5/6?
Yeah, they said they don't make tires for "mullet mobiles".

Seriously though, I never expected them to bring over a tire size that wasn't part of their Japanese market roll-out (which went up to 295, links are earlier in this thread). From a corporate standpoint, they're looking to see what the market would comprise for an OE fitment 285/30 and 295/30 18. The Bridgestone guys mentioned that the 285/30 is OE on a couple 911's and might make it here next season. Maybe. And only because it's an OE fitment size. In JDM-land it appears there's just not much appetite/demand for the steamroller tire sizes we're looking for which means they're not likely to make them for just the US market...

PS
I'd imagine that they've also got plenty of RE-11 sales data to pull from and have crunched the #'s on cost to manufacture wide sizes vs. anticipated sales.
Old 03-28-2015, 12:54 AM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Made a huge *** of myself on the bridgekooks on the practice course at El Toro today. Spun twice in a row on my first lap into the grass. Made a shock adjustment, spun again in a sweeper with steady throttle. Car would turn in great, lots of front grip, then my rear end would just go flying by me I expect interesting things for tomorrow. Might end up throwing kooks on the front to decrease front grip and balance the car and make it driveable again.

B-stone reps at San Diego told me that a 305/19 should be available next year. Time will tell if that's even relevant with whatever else comes out by then.

Quick Reply: Ok, the 200tw 2015 autox/track tire questions...