Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Corvette Community loses a great instructor and a friend to all -- Steve Landstra

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2014, 12:42 AM
NJCRUISER
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Steve

I first met Steve at my very first SCCA club race. A regional at Summit Point in 2004 I think. He was there to help Joe A. and his son AJ with AJ's first SCCA club race as well.
It was rainy and muddy as hell and I had no crew. He was quick to offer a helping hand and we all became fast friends.

Fast forward a few years later, Steve helped me move my little racing operation to Arizona from NJ. You get to know a lot about a guy during a 3 day trip driving a trailer together.

I have not spoken with Steve in a couple of years now and I sorely regret that now. I guess I just assumed that I would see him again on the next trip back east.

Lori and I will miss a great guy. I am posting a picture that we took of Steve after we arrived in Arizona. I'll remember him as he was in this photo. Enjoying life. RIP my friend.

Evan

Old 12-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Z06Ronald
Melting Slicks

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Not sure if the following link is public. It was posted by Lainey on Facebook ...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Old 12-06-2014, 06:28 PM
BuckeyeZ06
Le Mans Master

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by NJCRUISER
I first met Steve at my very first SCCA club race. A regional at Summit Point in 2004 I think. He was there to help Joe A. and his son AJ with AJ's first SCCA club race as well.
It was rainy and muddy as hell and I had no crew. He was quick to offer a helping hand and we all became fast friends.

Fast forward a few years later, Steve helped me move my little racing operation to Arizona from NJ. You get to know a lot about a guy during a 3 day trip driving a trailer together.

I have not spoken with Steve in a couple of years now and I sorely regret that now. I guess I just assumed that I would see him again on the next trip back east.

Lori and I will miss a great guy. I am posting a picture that we took of Steve after we arrived in Arizona. I'll remember him as he was in this photo. Enjoying life. RIP my friend.

Evan

Hey Evan,

It's good to hear you chime in.

Steve and Frank helped me out at the 2006 & 2007 Run Offs at Topeka, giving feedback on what other drivers were doing at various spots on the track. Back in those days that was height of the Vette vs Viper T1 wars, and they were helping me...a Viper driver. They were just two very good souls.

When I had that big crash at Road America in 2012, Steve called me clearly upset. I had many, many people call me about that incident, but his call stood out because of how concerned he was about me. I guess it was that event that caused him to cage his DE car.

I was shocked when Mike called me this past weekend. While I didn't know Steve real well, I always knew that if I would see him face-to-face, a friendly conversation would follow. I also "knew" there would be a next time. How wrong I was.

The family and friends we have are to be cherished. I marvel at the close relationships I have because of racing. People outside the sport think that what drives me to it is the speed, or the cars; not so. It's the people. And you just never know when the last time you saw someone was truly the last time.

God Speed, Steve.
Old 12-06-2014, 06:38 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

Heard about that from Jim P. the other night. That is certainly tough for the so many that knew him.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:45 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

It is hard to post when you lose a friend like Steve. We talked regularly and worked together at tracks, me asking Steve to help evaluate drivers and Steve asking me to instruct friends, and, sharing what we learned. It won't be the same without Steve being there.

Love and miss you, Steve.

God be with you Lainey.

Jim
Old 12-12-2014, 03:17 PM
kentz06
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve and Lainey were always gracious and helpful on my East Coast excursions especially in the heat at VIR. It was always fun to work side by side with him at events.

Definitely not right when one of the best is taken early.

Dean

Quick Reply: The Corvette Community loses a great instructor and a friend to all -- Steve Landstra