Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vettes continue to rock the Optima USCA events. Congrats on the win Danny!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2014, 10:37 AM
John B
Pro
Pro Mechanic

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts

Congrats again Danny! His car definately is a modded street car. Wouldnt matter what it was with Danny driving its going to be fast.

Watching this event for the last few years has me scratching my head about the line between streetcar,racecar,kit car,hotrod. Its definately tough to define. Then ad AWD on street tires..Brandon a talented driver in a Mitsusquishy gave Danny a run this year. When more talented guys in faster AWD cars show up its going to get tough for 2wd pro touring/street cars it seems geared for.
Old 12-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Jaymz
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 2015 rules have been released and most of the aero cars are now illegal. Please sign and share the petition.

https://www.change.org/p/usca-ousci-...he-2015-season
Old 12-24-2014, 02:20 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The way I'm reading that, the ridiculous splitters are still legal - you just have to re-engineer your rear wings.

I think they should just put a big speed bump like a 4x4 piece of wood at pit-out and make each car drive over it. Can't make it over? Then you're out. That should be the extent of the aero rules (besides simply being street legal).

Custom active aero and other cool electronics should all be allowed, that is afterall the biggest arena in which there is room for innovation in street car capabilities.

Last edited by troyguitar; 12-24-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:38 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

The way I read it is only splitters that are factory installed are legal and the rear wings have a size and location limit.

My question would be, is something like the katech splitter for c6z with integrated brake duct and flat bottom legal or just the zr1 splitter?
Old 12-24-2014, 04:53 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

I read it as "factory aero is legal regardless of its fitting the guidelines, but aftermarket aero must fit the guidelines" - that interpretation could be wrong.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:58 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by troyguitar
I read it as "factory aero is legal regardless of its fitting the guidelines, but aftermarket aero must fit the guidelines" - that interpretation could be wrong.
Right, it must fit the guidelines. But, there is no guidelines for front aero therefore I don't think its legal.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:01 PM
95wht6spd
Le Mans Master

Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts

Anyone know what shifter he uses on this car?
Old 12-24-2014, 08:16 PM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95wht6spd
Anyone know what shifter he uses on this car?
I asked that a while back in a different group but never got an answer. It looks very smooth for a short shifter.
Old 12-24-2014, 08:20 PM
braknl8
Racer

The way I'm reading that, the ridiculous splitters are still legal - you just have to re-engineer your rear wings.

I think they should just put a big speed bump like a 4x4 piece of wood at pit-out and make each car drive over it. Can't make it over? Then you're out. That should be the extent of the aero rules (besides simply being street legal).

Custom active aero and other cool electronics should all be allowed, that is afterall the biggest arena in which there is room for innovation in street car capabilities.
Just to be clear... you are against a basic, static splitter but for custom active aero and other "cool" electronics?
Old 12-24-2014, 10:17 PM
RC000E
Le Mans Master

Received 346 Likes on 208 Posts

I am a person who LOVES this competition, first and foremost. Second, I am at SEMA EVERY year (have exhibited cars there as well, on elevated platforms...not in the street) and love seeing the cars throughout that are competing. The problem I have is, the cars really aren't looking like much as of late. Years back we were seeing really incredible builds...cars that would NOT think would go out and do track duty like that. To me, that epitomized the greatness of this competition. Am I GLAD Corvettes eat this event, sure I am. But...can we make the cars look like something? Can Optima make this event put a little more demand on appearance...I mean, these cars are at SEMA for gods sake. The ONLY...and I mean ONLY way to get an ugly *** Miata that's beat to hell into SEMA is via the Optima Challenge.

Optima needs to change the standard a bit, and drive more custom machines. If you're winning at SEMA/Optima with a slightly modded Z06...then in my opinion the competition doesn't hold water. There are a couple GTR's doing one lap of america that will destroy that car on a circuit...and I'm in NO way a GTR fanboi. I actually hate how damn capable they are. It's almost a no win for a RWD car vs that vehicle.

I love that a Vette won...especially MY vette..a C5Z. I intend to attempt to qualify this year, but my Z is highly modded, very fashion forward, as I want it to be something I am proud to show at SEMA and do the C5 justice...as in the looks dept, the aftermarket never really cared much about the car.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:25 PM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by braknl8

Just to be clear... you are against a basic, static splitter but for custom active aero and other "cool" electronics?
Yeah - things that are useful in a dual purpose street/track car should be allowed. That means active aero/suspension (street, autox, track modes for ride height, damping, wing angles, etc.).

Smart things should be allowed - those are actually in the spirit of the event.

A car that can be driven comfortably through Manhattan potholes on the way to the track and then raced without changing anything but pushing a button and putting on a helmet would be awesome.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:57 PM
braknl8
Racer

Yeah - things that are useful in a dual purpose street/track car should be allowed. That means active aero/suspension (street, autox, track modes for ride height, damping, wing angles, etc.).

Smart things should be allowed - those are actually in the spirit of the event.

A car that can be driven comfortably through Manhattan potholes on the way to the track and then raced without changing anything but pushing a button and putting on a helmet would be awesome.
Would you still be in support of that rule if someone rolled over the 4x4 then hit a button and a 8" splitter and supporting hydraulically-assisted aero popped out and the entire car sat down a couple of inches on the electromagnetic coilovers? Give a mafia or raft guy that rule and the car will convert like the freakin' batmobile before the flag drops....guaranteed. Just be careful of what you wish for/argue against, is all I'm sayin'.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:43 AM
troyguitar
Drifting

Originally Posted by braknl8

Would you still be in support of that rule if someone rolled over the 4x4 then hit a button and a 8" splitter and supporting hydraulically-assisted aero popped out and the entire car sat down a couple of inches on the electromagnetic coilovers? Give a mafia or raft guy that rule and the car will convert like the freakin' batmobile before the flag drops....guaranteed. Just be careful of what you wish for/argue against, is all I'm sayin'.
AFAIK that has never been done in a track capable car. I welcome that sort of innovation.

Hell I would like to have something like that on my own car if I had the time/money to develop it.

Imagine a car that handles great (meaning comfortably) on the street AND is fast on the track. That is what should be winning the ultimate street car competition. Not some slightly watered down race car with turn signals and 335 rivals.

I know I don't have the budget to win regardless of the rules, my interest is purely academic in this stuff.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:30 AM
chetly
Burning Brakes

AFAIK that has never been done in a track capable car. I welcome that sort of innovation.

Hell I would like to have something like that on my own car if I had the time/money to develop it.

Imagine a car that handles great (meaning comfortably) on the street AND is fast on the track. That is what should be winning the ultimate street car competition. Not some slightly watered down race car with turn signals and 335 rivals.

I know I don't have the budget to win regardless of the rules, my interest is purely academic in this stuff.
I wouldn't call Danny's Vette a watered down race car anymore than Brian Hobaughs Vette, Mike Maiers Mustang, Kyle Tucker's Camaro or Mark Stielows Camaro. All of those cars had all glass windows, lights that worked, full interiors, current registration and proof of insurance.

Let's face the facts, cars are built to the rules and when the rules are as Spartan as they are at the OUSCI, your going to end up with those kinds of builds. Everyone's version of what is comfortable on the street is different than others, that's what makes these cars so interesting. No two cars are alike.
Old 12-25-2014, 12:31 PM
Whis9
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

I know Danny personally
His car is driving to work on most days
You pass the dealership, you will see the vette parked
Old 12-25-2014, 04:47 PM
flash911
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by RC000E
I am a person who LOVES this competition, first and foremost. Second, I am at SEMA EVERY year (have exhibited cars there as well, on elevated platforms...not in the street) and love seeing the cars throughout that are competing. The problem I have is, the cars really aren't looking like much as of late. Years back we were seeing really incredible builds...cars that would NOT think would go out and do track duty like that. To me, that epitomized the greatness of this competition. Am I GLAD Corvettes eat this event, sure I am. But...can we make the cars look like something? Can Optima make this event put a little more demand on appearance...I mean, these cars are at SEMA for gods sake. The ONLY...and I mean ONLY way to get an ugly *** Miata that's beat to hell into SEMA is via the Optima Challenge.
except maybe you missed the Riddler winner out there this year?

Quick Reply: Vettes continue to rock the Optima USCA events. Congrats on the win Danny!