Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharger, turbo or cam?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 12:49 PM
Delta_Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger, turbo or cam?

So i have a C6 with an LS3. I use it almost exclusively for auto x, and trying to get into track as well. Im going to get a cam, i also want to get a supercharger or turbo. but im afraid it would give it too much power and make it even harder to control... I was wondering if anyone here has any experience running auto cross with a turbo or supercharger?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 PM
edge04
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Delta_Vette
So i have a C6 with an LS3. I use it almost exclusively for auto x, and trying to get into track as well. Im going to get a cam, i also want to get a supercharger or turbo. but im afraid it would give it too much power and make it even harder to control... I was wondering if anyone here has any experience running auto cross with a turbo or supercharger?
I am new to autox and roadracing so take this with a grain of salt.

I have a supercharged C6 which I have been using and my plan over the winter is to return it to NA. The power makes if harder to learn, control and not needed. The worst part is the higher engine temps which will eventually lead to engine failure somewhere. NA cars run hot so add 50% to a FI car.

Not sure of your skill level but unless your advanced I would leave the FI alone. When my friends ask "how did your car do" my response is "the right driver would lap me in my V6 4 door caddy and probably have more fun doing it"

My opinion
Old 08-20-2014, 04:08 PM
briannutter1
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

CNC and mill the heads with a small cam in the mid to upper 220's @ .050 on the intake with a good spring/retainer package and headers. That will make 470+ to the wheels without adding weight to the front or adding to cooling issues.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:10 PM
Delta_Vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thx edge, you pretty much confirmed what i was afraid would happen its to bad really, a supercharger sounds so good on an LS. and thx Brian, that sounds like a good alternative
Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I started out tracking with a sc Z06. It was a lot of work dealing with cooling, belt slip etc. Unfortunately, the way sc works, you don't get to use all that hp except on straights - but it sure is fun though. When mine blew, I repl with forged H/C/I and it has a lot more usable hp all the way around the track. And yeah, it is faster down the straights also. Gas mileage is not as good on the streets, but, I didn't buy it for gas mileage. HTH.
Old 08-22-2014, 11:45 AM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by edge04
When my friends ask "how did your car do" my response is "the right driver would lap me in my V6 4 door caddy and probably have more fun doing it"

My opinion
Stay NA for the track.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:16 PM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Take the money you would spend on a cam and supercharger and buy a nice ARE dry sump system with in line oil cooler. You already have enough power, now you need reliability.
Old 08-23-2014, 10:06 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

NA for sure. I don't think a dry sump is needed for autocross.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharger, turbo or cam?

Quick Reply: Supercharger, turbo or cam?