Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

17 Best Race Tracks in America

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 AM
0Chin Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
It's really hard to say, I haven't found a real track map and website idiots have the maps scrolling so fast that you can't take a good look.

The only vid I've seen is on dirt.

It's hard to comment on a track until you've actually driven it.

At a quick glance, it looks like it's going to be a great track.
Looking forward to a video at speed.
We'll get some on-track and in-car footage for you all of NCM Motorsports Park in less than a month!
Old 08-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I've driven three and been to watch races at four more.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:44 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

13. Sonoma Raceway, California
Known for decades as Sears Point and briefly as Infineon Raceway, Sonoma is a winding path in the middle of wine country just north of San Francisco. Its combination of rhythmic sweeping corners and long straights is irresistible even to NASCAR, which makes its drivers turn left a bit every year.
Doesn't he mean right?
Old 08-20-2014, 03:49 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

6. Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Indiana
You can make a solid argument that Indy has more history than any other track on Earth. Most of that history is on the legendary oval, though, not the road course cutting through the middle of the infield past manmade lakes and a golf course. Still...it's a road course at Indy cutting through a golf course, and that's enough to make anyone's bucket list.
The course didn't look all that cool to me. I watched the recent Tudor Series race there and it didn't look better than all 12 of the other courses on this list.
Old 08-20-2014, 05:49 PM
Subfixer
POSSE ZR-1 Driver
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 105 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Dr Chin, I ave raced at ALL of these tracks except for:
1) Miller Motorsports park
2) Lime rock Park
3) Barber Motorsports park
4) Willow Springs
5) VIR
6) Thunderhill
I guess there is still time to try those
Pack up the trailer!
Historic Festival at Lime Rock Aug 29 - Sep 1.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:25 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by jcsperson
Doesn't he mean right?

He's probably been on 2 out of 17 of them.

Trying to put numbers on the "Best" tracks is kinda like "how do you like the color of my car?".

The Nascar track at Sears sucks, when they first came there, they ran the real track............but we were turin' faster lap times in our Formula Fords.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:25 PM
Robert R1
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill32
I'd put Sears at #1. But ThunderHill in the top 5.

But this thread is geared towards HPDE.

There's a HUGE difference between driving on a track and racing on one.

Sears is a tough track to race on, that's what makes it so good.
What's not so good is that Burton Smith owns it.

What makes ThunderHill so good is the amount of passing opportunities per lap.
For HPDE drivers, it's a great high speed track. The new addition's added the technical sections (great improvement).
That's a great point about SP. Even on bikes, passing there is limited and takes a leap of faith. I can't imagine doing it in a car.

Thill is deceptive in the sense that it seems easy to learn but people seem to really peak out early and get stuck fast.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:06 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

I ran Bridgehampton for 4 years in the 70s............on a 750 Kawasaki triple! I got hurt there in a high side on Memorial day 1977, and spent the night in Southampton hospital.....another rider died. It ended my bike riding career.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:21 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Robert R1
That's a great point about SP. Even on bikes, passing there is limited and takes a leap of faith. I can't imagine doing it in a car.

Thill is deceptive in the sense that it seems easy to learn but people seem to really peak out early and get stuck fast.
Sears is my favorite. 3 wide thru the Carousel is, ah, interesting.

Yea, T-Hill can sneak up on you. I have approx. 2,500 laps there in competition and a few hundred as an instructor.

If you think T-Hill is deceptive, try it in the dark.......at 3 a.m.
I've run 2 of the 25 hour races there, trying to find your braking and turn in points on the back side is nuts.....but really fun.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Joy of 6
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've run 2 of the 25 hour races there, trying to find your braking and turn in points on the back side is nuts.....but really fun.[/QUOTE]

Especially when there is a car behind you with 100,000 candle power lights!
Old 08-21-2014, 12:45 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Joy of 6
I've run 2 of the 25 hour races there, trying to find your braking and turn in points on the back side is nuts.....but really fun.
Especially when there is a car behind you with 100,000 candle power lights![/QUOTE]

Yea, those damn lights.

Watching them in your mirror when you're in a Miata and those lights are on a Crawford Daytona Prototype is a tad nerve racking.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:07 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by US Icon
The draw to Daytona is, as you say, the speeds. I'd also say the highbanks add to it. My favorite high bank track is Talladega, but I've only done high speed parade laps, not a full blown HPDE.

I know Sebring is the holy grail for some, but I think most guys who've driven both Road America and Sebring would give the nod to RA as being funner. If I lived in central Florida I would spend more track time a Sebring, but I'm just to far away and RA is right here in my backyard.

Yes I'd say the bumps and crack fill at Sebring do count as a slight elevation change

You guys should rent Talladega and have a HPDE.
I would agree that In my opinion, Talladega is a much better road course than Daytona. I have raced both tracks multiple times with IMSA, and I just loved Talladega. I was doing poorly there in practice in 1972 when brain surgeon Dr Wilber Pickett (driving Bobby Rinzler's Corvette) came by to ask how I was doing. When I told him my times, he said "Next practice, come let me tow you around and your time will improve." SO, I asked him if he took the north banking "flat" and he said "I can, but you should work up to it." For qualifying, I ran 180mph on the banking.......faster than I had ever been in my life! It was a life altering experience. (My avatar picture is from that race)

Quick Reply: 17 Best Race Tracks in America