Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fake Brembo Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 09:41 AM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Default Fake Brembo Calipers

This is a true manufacturing operation in China. This isn't just a back room deal. They don't even hide it.

http://www.zerotohundred.com/wp-cont...8/a15_01_b.jpg

Chen does not counterfeit only Brembo. He claims that he also produces AP Racing brakes and other well known brakes. They're selling for about 1/3 of the normal Brembo price.

Here's the whole article on this.

Brembo buyers beware.

Richard Newton
Old 08-16-2014, 09:53 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

I'd be curious to measure a caliper and see what material he uses. If the is using proper materials then I don't see how they would fail...but if it's cheaply made big no-no.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:00 AM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 178 Likes on 160 Posts

Not the point, its the Chinese counterfeitters that is the problem. LG has the same issue with his headers.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

The problem here is that there is no quality control, no materials engineering and consequently this is dangerous. Moreover, Brembo invests considerable time and effort to engineer a product that they have the right to brand as their own. No one else has the right to use their trade name and pass off their product as someone else's.

What we have here is a fundamental problem in that inside China there are no protections on branding and copyrights. People can get away with making your product and putting your name on it and then selling it. Bootleg parts like this are not only dangerous, but they hurt the folks who are spending time and money to develop their product by stealing their intellectual property rights.

Last edited by Solofast; 08-17-2014 at 12:14 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,278 Likes on 923 Posts

Agree there my dude!
Old 08-16-2014, 12:53 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Good to know, nothing new.

Purses, drugs, watches, calipers, music, video, nothing is exempt.

Know your retailer.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:28 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Apocolipse
I'd be curious to measure a caliper and see what material he uses. If the is using proper materials then I don't see how they would fail...but if it's cheaply made big no-no.
Trouble is they're probably not using the proper materials, and there is no way for the consumer to tell (other than expensive lab testing).

FAA had trouble with airplane pats this decades ago, Chinese knockoff fasteners (bolts, nuts, etc) that looked like the real deal but were not made with the proper alloy steel or the proper heat treat / stress treat or whatever, which then failed in service since they were not as strong as the OEM parts.

Caveat emptor, and thanks to the OP for the heads up
Old 08-17-2014, 04:48 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

You want anything but a caliper or rotor explosion at speed.

Jim
Old 08-17-2014, 09:02 PM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,101 Likes on 715 Posts

Originally Posted by Painrace
You want anything but a caliper or rotor explosion at speed.

Jim
ANYTHING from China is to be viewed as crap. Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but who among us wants to push the envelope on a part that MUST work? Too many times Chinese manufacturing falls woefully short.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:16 AM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 417 Likes on 271 Posts

Not good, not good at all. As one of AP Racing's biggest distributors in the world, we hate to see this type of stuff. It has the potential to harm the brand, but more importantly, to actually harm people!

As others have said, just make sure you're getting the genuine article before you buy. You should stick with trusted, reputable resellers who support and use the products they're selling, rather than just going for what appears to be the lowest price. That becomes especially important if you ever run into any problems, or simply need advice or support.

Finally, all of the AP Racing calipers we sell have serial numbers on their underside. You can see the first few digits on the AP Racing caliper below. The arrow is pointing at it. If you're unsure if you're holding a genuine article, you can contact us (Essex Parts Services) to verify. Thanks.

Old 08-18-2014, 11:45 AM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm sure they can counterfeit the serial # too.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:17 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by the blur
I'm sure they can counterfeit the serial # too.
Of course they can. However, if we contact AP Racing to verify authenticity, and the serial numbers don't exist in AP's system, then you'll know the calipers are bogus.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:19 PM
the blur
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 87 Posts

So they counterfeit real serial #'s, and when you call AP, they will verify it's a good serial #. It's a major problem at 150 MPH.
Old 08-18-2014, 12:31 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Originally Posted by the blur
So they counterfeit real serial #'s, and when you call AP, they will verify it's a good serial #. It's a major problem at 150 MPH.
I see what you're saying, and the same thing goes on in all industries (guitar is a hobby of mine, and that one comes to mind).

That said, it's certainly better than not having any way to try and double check. There is data attached to the serial numbers. AP knows what type of caliper it is, when it was produced, what distributor bought it, etc. So if you tell me you're considering a six piston CP5060 caliper found in our Corvette Competition BBK's, but the serial number you give me is actually for a painted rear caliper, designed for a Lotus Elise, that was sold to their Chinese distributor, then we know something fishy is likely going on.

Get notified of new replies

To Fake Brembo Calipers

Quick Reply: Fake Brembo Calipers