Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Toe alignment shims

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2014, 01:41 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 205 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Rear Toe alignment shims

Does anyone know if there is a relationship between degrees of camber change and the thickness of the adjusting shims on the Rear assuming you are using fixed adjusting shims not the moving camlock. For example if I move the hole in the shim 1mm that equates to 1/2 degree change at the wheel face kind of thing.
Old 08-15-2014, 06:44 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Does anyone know if there is a relationship between degrees of camber change and the thickness of the adjusting shims on the Rear assuming you are using fixed adjusting shims not the moving camlock. For example if I move the hole in the shim 1mm that equates to 1/2 degree change at the wheel face kind of thing.
yes it does change. I have just reset toe when I changed the rear camber.
I use Smart strings and a laser level with a ruler on the front hubs to check thrust angle.
Pm me your email if you would like apictures of the thrust angle ruler setup.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:52 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
It's not so much"thickness". All the shims (in a shim kit) are exactly the same size to fit tightly in the "slot" where the cam bolt used to be.

It's WHERE the hole is drilled in the shim that changes camber.

A kit usually has 4 or 5 shims with different holes drilled at different places to allow you to set the replacement bolt in or out more to move the wheel & change the camber.

Each kit could vary, mine IIRC is about .2 degree of camber more or less for each hole change. I never bothered to measure how much the hole moves from shim to shim.

I would think a good machinest with good equipment could make a kit in an hour or so. Mass produced , of course, much quicker.

Last edited by froggy47; 08-15-2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:12 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 195 Likes on 166 Posts

Pfadt camber kits - the notches and the shims are both about .2 degrees.

Ernie,

Would like to see your smart string method. I've noticed toe change without adjusting camber after a few hpde's, thus it would be good to be able to check it without a trip to the alignment shop.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear Toe alignment shims

Quick Reply: Rear Toe alignment shims