Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lugs loosening up at the track

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

I spoke to John at CCW. He feels, and I agree, I just got something stuck in there somewhere. I did NOT have the rubbing in the 1st session or half of the 2nd one either.

If the caliper was rubbing, it would rub all of the time, not only on turns I don't think...I guess we'll see next time out.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:51 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Finspeed
5mm seems to be the minimum clearance to avoid grooving from track debris. If this noise is something he is hearing consistently, it is likely not track debris.
Also, if material removed from the inner barrel, there may be reason for concern. The barrel stress is very low when compared to the spokes, but if more than .015" of material has been cut away by the contact, you should call John and get his opinion. I am not sure what CCW's barrel thickness is, but I am confident .015" is greater than 10% of the barrel wall.
I meant 4mm for the spacer thickness, sorry should have clarified that.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:38 PM
phipp85
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Well, as it turns out, once I had a chance to measure the diameter of the rotor hat recess vs. the mounting diameter of the wheel, the wheel was NOT fitting into the recessed area and I DO need the filler plates, which I have as I believe I had stated earlier. I'll throw them on next track day. This may have been why the lugs loosened up I assume...I guess I was lucky that I didn't have any problems!

Here is the filler plate on the rotor.

Here is the scraped area inside the wheel's barrel. The top of the pic is the outer edge of the wheel (for orientation) and you can just see the tape over the wheel weight. The scraped line(s) are obvious. Ignore the light reflection and rubber turds above the scraped lines. The left side is not as much. I only felt and heard the rubbing on left hand turns, but that doesn't mean on right hand turns it wasn't happenning. It just may have been less.

Here is the top of the caliper. No apparent scraping. Just the one black area.

Here is the bottom of the caliper. Besides the black marks-no apparent scraping. So what the heck is scraping?? Could it be the black areas??
The barrel of my wheel is nothing like yours. Mine removed a lot of the finish and you can see where it started to get into the shot peening. That's it.

I wonder if your wheel could have been flexing a little causing it to rub when it normally would not? It was obviously moving since your lugs were loosing up. Do you put a lot of weight on your wheel before you snap the torque on the lugs? I very particular about torquing the lugs with virtually zero load on the tire.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:42 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by phipp85
The barrel of my wheel is nothing like yours. Mine removed a lot of the finish and you can see where it started to get into the shot peening. That's it.

I wonder if your wheel could have been flexing a little causing it to rub when it normally would not? It was obviously moving since your lugs were loosing up. Do you put a lot of weight on your wheel before you snap the torque on the lugs? I very particular about torquing the lugs with virtually zero load on the tire.
John said the wheel doesn't flex enough to get the rubbing like that.
I also could not find anywhere the wheel rubbed (caliper or rotor). I expected to find shined metal spots....Further evidence that maybe something was caught somewhere in there????

As for torque of the lugs, I usually gun them to snug, then final torque on the ground...Especially the fronts that spin as you know.
Bad idea??
Old 08-19-2014, 12:48 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What do you use as a gun? Get a torque stick to limit the torque applied, I torque mine with it while in the air. http://www.torquestick.com/cart/19mm...-LETTER-C.html
Old 08-19-2014, 01:06 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
What do you use as a gun? Get a torque stick to limit the torque applied, I torque mine with it while in the air. http://www.torquestick.com/cart/19mm...-LETTER-C.html
I have a Goodyear impact wrench. I guess I'll pick up one of those torque sticks!

Still concerned by the scraping...
Old 12-01-2014, 06:04 PM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

UPDATE:

I just wanted to update this thread. I went to the track 1 more time a month ago. I did NOT have any scratching/rubbing of the wheel this time, so it seems like there WAS just something caught...likely a piece of rubber with a rock in it or something.

Also, to the lugs loosening up, I got open end lug nuts and I did NOT have any loosen up the entire day, despite having the spacer plate on the front wheels for a better mounting surface....PROBLEM SOLVED!

Thanks to all who contributed!

Ron
Old 12-01-2014, 06:28 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

btw, tightening lug nuts with a gun (in the air) and then using some torque wrench to finish up on the ground works for a lot of drivers, including myself (130+ track days). However, this only works if you have a gun that tightens close to final torque. I generally use a gun that will go higher than 80ft-lbs. I used to use a gun with lower torque but only used it to do most of the spinning to get nuts on/off. While the car was still in the air, I would actually use a torque wrench to manually tighten the lug nuts enough to know that they had seated and the wheel itself was centered properly on each lug position and tight to the rotor before lowering to the ground and finishing with a torque wrench.
Old 12-01-2014, 07:35 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
btw, tightening lug nuts with a gun (in the air) and then using some torque wrench to finish up on the ground works for a lot of drivers, including myself (130+ track days). However, this only works if you have a gun that tightens close to final torque. I generally use a gun that will go higher than 80ft-lbs. I used to use a gun with lower torque but only used it to do most of the spinning to get nuts on/off. While the car was still in the air, I would actually use a torque wrench to manually tighten the lug nuts enough to know that they had seated and the wheel itself was centered properly on each lug position and tight to the rotor before lowering to the ground and finishing with a torque wrench.
I estimate that my IR set at #4 runs them up to about #80, then I lower and finish by hand. I would think almost any but the puniest air gun is going to give you 65-75 unless you get off the trigger instantly.

Good point.
Old 12-02-2014, 12:35 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
I estimate that my IR set at #4 runs them up to about #80, then I lower and finish by hand. I would think almost any but the puniest air gun is going to give you 65-75 unless you get off the trigger instantly.

Good point.
Actually, I use handheld impact wrench units powered by batteries so I learned the hard way that not all battery powered units are suitable for cars. However, once I found suitable units, they can't be beat for convenience. A two-hour charge is more than enough to get me through a typical track day where I change from street to track wheels/tires and vice versa at the end of the day......and no hoses, no air tanks or compressors.

I agree that almost all air units will be suitable......

Quick Reply: Lugs loosening up at the track