Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changed rear sway bar end links and bushings...

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 03:52 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Changed rear sway bar end links and bushings...

and almost spun the rear around on my first aggressive turn. Seem to have a bunch more oversteer now... little surprising. Plastic to metal end links and poly bushings.

Stock c5 z51 suspension. I'm just now starting to learn about suspension stuff. What to do to reduce oversteer now? It's the reduced flex I take it.

Really like how it felt before, but was chasing a squeak (unsuccessful) and stock end link seals were done.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:39 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Joshboody
and almost spun the rear around on my first aggressive turn. Seem to have a bunch more oversteer now... little surprising. Plastic to metal end links and poly bushings.

Stock c5 z51 suspension. I'm just now starting to learn about suspension stuff. What to do to reduce oversteer now? It's the reduced flex I take it.

Really like how it felt before, but was chasing a squeak (unsuccessful) and stock end link seals were done.
Consider upgrading front links & bushings as well, should help to restore the balance you had previously. With the stiffer links and bushings car should transfer weight quicker so you will want to learn this new behavior in a 'safe' manner.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:28 PM
hungryhippo
Drifting

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts

Also, did you grease the poly bushings?
Old 07-26-2014, 07:29 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by RX82Z06
Consider upgrading front links & bushings as well, should help to restore the balance you had previously. With the stiffer links and bushings car should transfer weight quicker so you will want to learn this new behavior in a 'safe' manner.

Metal links are widely regarded as an upgrade to the plastic ones, but you have to do both ends.

In many cases a suspension improvement requires more driver "involvement" in controlling the car. Camrey's for example are pretty easy to handle, not requiring much driver skill.

If you really like the way it used to handle, just put 4 plastic links back on.

Good luck with the squeak. Makes me crazy too.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:50 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

The stock fronts are metal and still in good shape so didn't change them yet... did do the front poly also.

Also increased neg camber on right side as it was off and pulling a little. Alignment is better now.

Need to read up on suspension theory. Strange that my handling decreased with these changes.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:29 AM
RX82Z06
Instructor

The stock fronts are metal and still in good shape so didn't change them yet... did do the front poly also.

Also increased neg camber on right side as it was off and pulling a little. Alignment is better now.

Need to read up on suspension theory. Strange that my handling decreased with these changes.
Reading your first post again I see that you had oversteer to begin with. Can you share your alignment settings? These cars stock are set-up to understeer. Any other changes like wheel/tire sizes? Tire pressures equal front/rear?
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RX82Z06
Reading your first post again I see that you had oversteer to begin with. Can you share your alignment settings? These cars stock are set-up to understeer. Any other changes like wheel/tire sizes? Tire pressures equal front/rear?
I don't have too much experience yet in agg driving, so couldn't say whether I'm biased under or oversteer. On the street my turn in is mild and accelerate out of the turn... this is when the backend seems to have less traction now.

For alignment I'm right at -1.5deg camber and 1mm toe in. Haven't checked caster yet, cause it's tracking straight. It looks like I can get quite a bit more neg camber out of the LCAs.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:46 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by froggy47
In many cases a suspension improvement requires more driver "involvement" in controlling the car.

the stiffer your suspension setup gets, the quicker it will fall off once you reach the limits of grip. Take some time and get to know what the car feels like as you start to push it.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2014, 09:18 AM
Solofast
Melting Slicks

Received 85 Likes on 71 Posts

It's mostly the bushings. Because these cars have relatively big bars, a small change in bushing stiffness make a big change in overall roll stiffness.

While bushings are a tuning too that can be quite effective in adjusting roll stiffness, sticking poly bushings in one end or the other by themselves can cause a big change in handling. I have a big coffee can full of bushings that I use to tune roll stiffness and it's amazing how much you can do with just a change in bushings.

If the car was a little loose and you put poly bushings in the rear it would get real loose. I would put the rubber bushings back in the back and if it is still loose, get a set of poly bushings for the front..
Old 07-28-2014, 12:32 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I don't have too much experience yet in agg driving, so couldn't say whether I'm biased under or oversteer. On the street my turn in is mild and accelerate out of the turn... this is when the backend seems to have less traction now.

For alignment I'm right at -1.5deg camber and 1mm toe in. Haven't checked caster yet, cause it's tracking straight. It looks like I can get quite a bit more neg camber out of the LCAs.
How about the alignment at the rear?
Old 07-28-2014, 07:21 PM
cruzin2
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stiffening the bushings of the bar also has the effect of making the roll bar transition coming in quicker and more abrupt.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:08 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
How about the alignment at the rear?
Just under 0.5deg and 1-2mm toe in.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:11 PM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

How did you install the end links?

You want to install them with no preload on the bar.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:50 PM
yakisoba
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also, make sure the bar is not binding. It needs to move freely, and not be pre-loaded with the car sitting on the ground at normal height. If you put tension on the bar, it will be too tight when you go to put power down, and oversteer will result.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:38 PM
Joshboody
Burning Brakes

I just jacked up the rear installed bushings loose and end links, then torqued everything before lowering the car.

I have non-adjustable links, so can't see how they could be preloaded. Well I guess if side weighting or spring rates were different but i'm not to this point yet in suspension tuning. If I was though, would adjusting leaf spring height on each side be the same as adj-end links?
Old 07-29-2014, 09:30 PM
RX82Z06
Instructor

I just jacked up the rear installed bushings loose and end links, then torqued everything before lowering the car.

I have non-adjustable links, so can't see how they could be preloaded. Well I guess if side weighting or spring rates were different but i'm not to this point yet in suspension tuning. If I was though, would adjusting leaf spring height on each side be the same as adj-end links?
To prevent preload, suspension components should be torqued fully loaded meaning you would lower the car and have it at normal ride height prior to torquing the sway bar brackets and end links. Typically you need ramps under the wheels so you can freely/safely access these points to torque them down.

In the end you may just have a rear end that is firmer and responding quicker due to the new components and so you transition to oversteer quicker then previous setup.

Get notified of new replies

To Changed rear sway bar end links and bushings...

Quick Reply: Changed rear sway bar end links and bushings...