Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wheel alignment for DD/Track car

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Wheel alignment for DD/Track car

First, I understand there is no good "dual use" setting for street and track. Given that, I have and '03 Coupe that I HPDE ~8 times a year.

The car has first generation Pfadt coilovers, Z06 sway bars (w/ poly bushings). Tires are brand new Hankook Ventus Rs3's.

I found the Pfadt Alignment sheet. I am considering using the "Performance Street - Track use with Street Tires" section.

Anyone think I should be setting it to something else? I'm an alignment noob. All I know is that more neg. camber will help me turn in more easily. I have heard that more rear toe-in will stop the back end of the car from the slight trammeling that happens on the long, off-camber, slightly turning, back straight at PIR.

All opinions welcome.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:19 PM
mrr23
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 98 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

You might see some inside tire wear over time if you daily drive. Actually more negative toe in the front will have better turn in on turns. Negative camber allows more tire footprint to be applied when turning.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:29 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,692 Likes on 1,034 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire
First, I understand there is no good "dual use" setting for street and track. Given that, I have and '03 Coupe that I HPDE ~8 times a year.

The car has first generation Pfadt coilovers, Z06 sway bars (w/ poly bushings). Tires are brand new Hankook Ventus Rs3's.

I found the Pfadt Alignment sheet. I am considering using the "Performance Street - Track use with Street Tires" section.

Anyone think I should be setting it to something else? I'm an alignment noob. All I know is that more neg. camber will help me turn in more easily. I have heard that more rear toe-in will stop the back end of the car from the slight trammeling that happens on the long, off-camber, slightly turning, back straight at PIR.

All opinions welcome.
Actually, more negative camber (to a point) maintains grip during cornering. Toe out in the front helps with turn in. Toe out in the rear will lead to significant oversteer, so you want a touch of toe in.

For your usage I'd look at around -1.6* Front Camber, -1.1* rear camber. 0 Total Toe front, ~1/16" Total Toe in for the rear.

That will be a nice compromise with street tires. If you go to an R compound tire at the track, then you'll need more negative camber or you'll chew the outside edges off of them.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:00 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

I ran though a set of 285/18 RS3s on my Z06 that were both street tires and track tires. -2* front camber, -1* rear camber ended up with reasonably even wear. The rear scrubbed the outside of the tire a bit. The RS3 is pretty soft and seems to need a lot of camber to wear evenly.
Old 07-23-2014, 06:25 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

I have much to learn here........
I see myself getting this done for the 2015 season.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:02 PM
meldog21
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
Actually, more negative camber (to a point) maintains grip during cornering. Toe out in the front helps with turn in. Toe out in the rear will lead to significant oversteer, so you want a touch of toe in.

For your usage I'd look at around -1.6* Front Camber, -1.1* rear camber. 0 Total Toe front, ~1/16" Total Toe in for the rear.

That will be a nice compromise with street tires. If you go to an R compound tire at the track, then you'll need more negative camber or you'll chew the outside edges off of them.
After trying several setups, including many changes from street to track and back which was a total pain in the butt, I totally agree with 96GS#007's advice. Those numbers will provide decent wear on the street with decent performance on the track. That's about as good a compromise setting as possible.

Dog
Old 07-23-2014, 08:38 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluefire

All opinions welcome.
Is that 8 track days or are these HPDEs two day events? If you are talking 8 the answer is probably different than if you are talking 16.

Bill
Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 PM
dhowdy
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

If you have to travel >100 miles or so for an event and don't have means to bring extra wheels, is driving there on an aggressive alignment with so much camber okay or will it ruin tires too quickly?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:49 PM
SteveC68
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The negative camber wont hurt the tires, it's the toe out in the front combined with negative camber that will kill them quickly. Run ZERO toe in front.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:11 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Is that 8 track days or are these HPDEs two day events? If you are talking 8 the answer is probably different than if you are talking 16.

Bill
There are eight single track (HPDE) days. Each day has 4-5, 20 minute track sessions per day.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:20 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by mrr23
You might see some inside tire wear over time if you daily drive. Actually more negative toe in the front will have better turn in on turns. Negative camber allows more tire footprint to be applied when turning.
Understood. Thanks!

I do run an R-comp tire on the track. Should I boost the front camber numbers to ~-1.7 - -1.8?. Thank you.

Originally Posted by wtb-z
I ran though a set of 285/18 RS3s on my Z06 that were both street tires and track tires. -2* front camber, -1* rear camber ended up with reasonably even wear. The rear scrubbed the outside of the tire a bit. The RS3 is pretty soft and seems to need a lot of camber to wear evenly.
Good point. I have friends that run -2.5 camber front but, that is a "track only" car.

Originally Posted by meldog21
After trying several setups, including many changes from street to track and back which was a total pain in the butt, I totally agree with 96GS#007's advice. Those numbers will provide decent wear on the street with decent performance on the track. That's about as good a compromise setting as possible.

Dog
Agreed. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:32 PM
Zachreligious
Intermediate

What kind of mileage / how many track days did you get with this alignment? I'm going to RS-3/RE-11 or something comparable and I would like a more aggressive alignment, but not at the expense of considerable tire wear. This is primarily a daily driver with a little fun at the track for me - I have other cars for racing / TT.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:34 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by SteveC68
The negative camber wont hurt the tires, it's the toe out in the front combined with negative camber that will kill them quickly. Run ZERO toe in front.
For Street use...100% agree with that statement. Toe destroys tires in a heartbeat but can also make or break the feel of a car on track.

I would agree with that statement as a good starting point. Keep an eye on your tires and see what your car, your driving style, and the tracks you are on like. Each track can vary a bit so there is not one be all end all setting to use, but there are some good starting points.

Again...good point..not only does the track vary with what it wants for alignment, so do tires.

Now as they said above, camber can be more easily locked in to a point and not effect tire wear by a huge amount, especially if you are street driving and track driving on the same set of tires. Point being they are not going to last 50k miles anyway.

One cool tip on the C5/6 cars. Bring a 13mm and a 7/8" wrench with you (if I remember right) and you can make simple toe changes at the track as long as you keep track of how you move it. You will notice on the toe links there is a hex portion of the bar. One flat (not turn), but one flat change will result in a 1/16" toe change. So if you want to do some simple changes your self, just document what you do...you can do some adjustments at the track.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
For Street use...100% agree with that statement. Toe destroys tires in a heartbeat but can also make or break the feel of a car on track.

I would agree with that statement as a good starting point. Keep an eye on your tires and see what your car, your driving style, and the tracks you are on like. Each track can vary a bit so there is not one be all end all setting to use, but there are some good starting points.

Again...good point..not only does the track vary with what it wants for alignment, so do tires.

Now as they said above, camber can be more easily locked in to a point and not effect tire wear by a huge amount, especially if you are street driving and track driving on the same set of tires. Point being they are not going to last 50k miles anyway.

One cool tip on the C5/6 cars. Bring a 13mm and a 7/8" wrench with you (if I remember right) and you can make simple toe changes at the track as long as you keep track of how you move it. You will notice on the toe links there is a hex portion of the bar. One flat (not turn), but one flat change will result in a 1/16" toe change. So if you want to do some simple changes your self, just document what you do...you can do some adjustments at the track.
Awesome! Great advice. Thank you.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:25 PM
wtb-z
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Zachreligious
What kind of mileage / how many track days did you get with this alignment? I'm going to RS-3/RE-11 or something comparable and I would like a more aggressive alignment, but not at the expense of considerable tire wear. This is primarily a daily driver with a little fun at the track for me - I have other cars for racing / TT.
About 10,000km including street driving and about 10 time trial track days (e.g., not a lot of distance per track day).
Old 07-24-2014, 06:37 PM
Zachreligious
Intermediate

About 10,000km including street driving and about 10 time trial track days (e.g., not a lot of distance per track day).
That answers that question! Looks like I'll be looking for a second set of wheels to put the sticky tires on, and probably will need to keep the alignment more reasonable.

Thanks.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:55 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with a Camber kit from LG, I just move 4 washers per wheel before track day and then move them back after the track day when I swap my street tires back on. Then as Anthony mentioned you can just adjust the toe by turning them a couple of flats, once you have it set.

Get notified of new replies

To Wheel alignment for DD/Track car

Old 07-29-2014, 02:00 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by morris
I went with a Camber kit from LG, I just move 4 washers per wheel before track day and then move them back after the track day when I swap my street tires back on. Then as Anthony mentioned you can just adjust the toe by turning them a couple of flats, once you have it set.
This sounds like a fabulous idea for us DD/track car guys.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:52 AM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

excellent setup!
Old 07-29-2014, 06:36 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by morris
Could someone post a link for this, I went on the LG site and could not find it. This sounds like exactly what i need.

Thank you

Quick Reply: Wheel alignment for DD/Track car