Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

reflection mario andretti racing experience....

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 09:21 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default reflection mario andretti racing experience....

Id say Im glad I did it, just because it was with my dad. Don't think it was worth it alone. Did it at charlotte motorsports park. The most exciting part was feeling the oval (something ive never experienced). I was a bit annoyed at the "5 min" I got. I understand the reasons why they do what they do but it wasnt worth even the discounted rate of $100... the cars were single gear and had tons of power, something I never got to use. I hit 155mph max speed but was really held back. I came up on a guy going about 60 so fast and since I was first in the cars my radio was too low. Right as I was telling him he needed to turn the radio up I came around the turn on this guy. The instructor got a little flustered with me saying I wasnt listening to him. Couldnt pass till back straight so he told me to back way off (still mad at me flying up on this guy). Then passed back straight. He kept telling me "hold this speed" and considering how much more power the car had I feel he was just punishing me for the earlier incident. I'd say id rate it 4/10.

If you are like most of the guys and have no experience in racing and just checking off a bucket list, id say it was good. But for us, dont waste your time. I never got to feel the power of the car since they slowly worked up the speed. Never came even close to maxing grip on that bank. So much down force and traction.

First I never saw my "crew chief" just a voice in my head. I think if they took into effect my experience as an instructor and racer things would have been different but I understand why. Now I need to get my butt to daylight to darkness so I can go a lot faster than 150. If it wasnt the first time driving at charlotte, I would really be annoyed. I was expecting a bit more freedom. But with a dude who has a remote cutoff switch in his hand, cant really do what you want....

Last edited by rithsleeper; 07-20-2014 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 AM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

deffinately dampers the mood when you have 1st timers or newly green students in some of the advanced courses for people with experience all mixed together. for sure makes it alot less enjoyable for the experienced people who dont need to be handheld as much.

Quick Reply: reflection mario andretti racing experience....