Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Run with TPMS in your track wheels??

Old 07-17-2014, 10:38 AM
Dr.Ron
Le Mans Master

Location: 2007 Nat'l Corvette Challenge 11.50 index Champ. New Jersey
Received 210 Likes on 161 Posts

Default Run with TPMS in your track wheels??

Just like the title states...Do you have them in your track wheels, or if you drive to the track on stock wheels and swap at the track, do you have them in the track wheels?

Thanks!

Ron
Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 AM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

I have them in my track wheels as well as the reset tool.

BTW - since we no longer have a C6 GS/Z06 they are doing me no good! LOL...I don't believe they will fit on the C7 Z51...so, I've got a set of LG Motorsports C6Z06 wheels and MPSC with TPMS ready to go for anyone interested...I'd guess there is about 50% tread left...need to actually measure though.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:49 AM
0Bobby @ LG Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This handy device will allow you to plug into the body control module of your Corvette and completely remove the tire pressure monitoring system with no ill effects to the car. Great for road racers and drag racers that have been plagued by tire pressure sensor issues for years. No more will you have to face those dreaded error messages or bothered by the computer when you install your track wheels and tires.

This will also allow you to start the car with Active Handling and Traction Control completely turned off so you don't have to reach down and hit the button if you happen to kill the car before a run. Your TC button does still work so you can turn those systems back on even with the box plugged in and running.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:22 AM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I run the sensors in my track wheels as well but instead of a reset tool I just cloned my street wheel sensors and so the track wheels match them, all I have to do is swap the wheels and I am ready to go. The car doesn't even know it has occurred.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:56 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
I have them in my track wheels as well as the reset tool.
I do the same thing for my c6.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:48 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

I had them in my track wheels but the LG unit is great is you don't want them.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:25 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have my TPMS sensors in a pressurized container that mounts in the rear of the car. One 3-4" piece of 3" PVC and two end caps. Simple but effective.

Jim
Old 07-18-2014, 12:02 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
I have my TPMS sensors in a pressurized container that mounts in the rear of the car. One 3-4" piece of 3" PVC and two end caps. Simple but effective.

Jim
I've seen several posts stating that this does not work since there is not enough motion to prevent them from going into sleep mode. You seem to have found a way around this......what's the secret? AND are you driving a C5 or C6?
Old 07-19-2014, 10:20 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by harrydirty
I've seen several posts stating that this does not work since there is not enough motion to prevent them from going into sleep mode. You seem to have found a way around this......what's the secret? AND are you driving a C5 or C6?
Well, maybe I've not driven it enough to see this problem. The car is a race prepared 2006 C6Z. I have an electrical kill switch that completely kills the power to the car and does reset the TPMS to all zeros. I use the kill switch at the end of the event to prevent the battery from becoming discharged. At the beginning of each event, I just reprogram the sensors. So it works for me but may not be viable for a combo street/track car.

Jim
Old 07-19-2014, 06:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,917 Likes on 5,327 Posts

Originally Posted by jlutherva
Well, maybe I've not driven it enough to see this problem. The car is a race prepared 2006 C6Z. I have an electrical kill switch that completely kills the power to the car and does reset the TPMS to all zeros. I use the kill switch at the end of the event to prevent the battery from becoming discharged. At the beginning of each event, I just reprogram the sensors. So it works for me but may not be viable for a combo street/track car.

Jim
Jim,
Being an 06 your car probably will run an hour before it misses the sensors. My car is an 08 which can go about a half hour before noticing the sensors aren't broadcasting. When I tried installing sensors in a cannister everything went fine until I hit the half hour mark on track. At that point the car noticed the sensors weren't broadcasting fast enough and put me in 55 mph mode. If I let the car sit for an hour it would be happy for another half hour. You probably can do just as well taking the cannister out of the car and letting it sit in the garage or car trailer next to the car.

Bill
Old 07-19-2014, 09:17 PM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Jim,
Being an 06 your car probably will run an hour before it misses the sensors. My car is an 08 which can go about a half hour before noticing the sensors aren't broadcasting. When I tried installing sensors in a cannister everything went fine until I hit the half hour mark on track. At that point the car noticed the sensors weren't broadcasting fast enough and put me in 55 mph mode. If I let the car sit for an hour it would be happy for another half hour. You probably can do just as well taking the cannister out of the car and letting it sit in the garage or car trailer next to the car.

Bill
So what happens when you let the car sit for an hour? Does the TPMS computer reset? Or is it just the fact that you turned off the ignition that resets the TPMS computer?

I have an '07Z and I believe it can go 20 or 25 minutes before it starts complaining.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:15 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Jim,

Bill
Hi Bill,
Thanks for the info. I don't have much data on this car; I've only done five track events with it so far. At the first event, the car would not turn - massive understeer, but was perfectly happy going 150 on the straights. I discussed this with Aaron Pfadt and he told me that the problem was that I was using the kill switch in between track sessions and that was resetting the TMPS sensors to zeros. I was being overly protective of my tiny battery. No problems since then and this makes perfect sense with what you've said. The maximum session time is 40 minutes and there is over an hour between sessions.

As we have discussed before, I'm disconnecting the Active Handling steering wheel sensor before any more track time and that will also disable the TMPS.

So the canister solution has worked well for me in my particular situation but is not a solution for everybody.

Jim
Old 07-21-2014, 12:53 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 74 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.Ron
Just like the title states...Do you have them in your track wheels, or if you drive to the track on stock wheels and swap at the track, do you have them in the track wheels?

Thanks!

Ron
I have a set on my 18" CCWs on my 2010 ZR1.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:15 AM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

I run sensors in all my wheels and just reset the TPMS based on whatever combo I have on at the time... (current run 3 different sets of rims/tires, HPDE, autox, and Street)
Old 07-22-2014, 12:19 AM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I'm curious why folks aren't running with the steering sensor pulled? I have no TPMS in my track wheels, I have pulled my steering sensor and run with TC and AH off - am I missing something here????
Old 07-22-2014, 02:39 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by w00tw00t
I'm curious why folks aren't running with the steering sensor pulled? I have no TPMS in my track wheels, I have pulled my steering sensor and run with TC and AH off - am I missing something here????
My car is driven on streets as well as track, so I feel the need for the nannies when not on the track.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:38 AM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by harrydirty
My car is driven on streets as well as track, so I feel the need for the nannies when not on the track.

TC still works on the street if I keep it on (even with no TPMS and steering sensor pulled). In my opinion, AH on the vette is rubbish anyway..

Get notified of new replies

To Run with TPMS in your track wheels??

Old 07-23-2014, 12:29 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by w00tw00t
TC still works on the street if I keep it on (even with no TPMS and steering sensor pulled). In my opinion, AH on the vette is rubbish anyway..
Can you describe how it is turned on/off when the steering sensor is pulled? Do you still use the TC/AH/Comp button? Is Comp Mode still available? Can you turn everything off?
Old 07-23-2014, 04:02 AM
CTZoom
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run with the steering sensor plug unconnected as well and can vouch for it's effectiveness. No TPMS in any of my wheels and TC works fine. All modes are still available except that the data logger can't get a steering angle reading. Mind you, the LG product is an impressive solution too. Just wasn't around when I first disconnected my steering sensor.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:13 PM
SCEMO
Racer

Originally Posted by Bobby @ LG Motorsports

This handy device will allow you to plug into the body control module of your Corvette and completely remove the tire pressure monitoring system with no ill effects to the car. Great for road racers and drag racers that have been plagued by tire pressure sensor issues for years. No more will you have to face those dreaded error messages or bothered by the computer when you install your track wheels and tires.

This will also allow you to start the car with Active Handling and Traction Control completely turned off so you don't have to reach down and hit the button if you happen to kill the car before a run. Your TC button does still work so you can turn those systems back on even with the box plugged in and running.
bobby ... did you get this unit to work with the 2009?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Run with TPMS in your track wheels??