Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Days with a C6 Automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2014, 08:05 PM
mikeCsix
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 193 Likes on 166 Posts

I like the A-6 on the track but like others have stated they tend to get pretty warm. I monitor my oil temps on the HUD and the transmission temps on the DIC. Last year I upgraded the engine radiator to a DeWitts with EOC/TOC. That helped. I think the other issue not really mentioned is the differential. For the A-6's especially, the transmission is a big heat sink trying to cool the diff which gets pretty hot. If you search for hot differentials, you'll find some that have been able to install a temp sensor for the diff oil, 300 degrees is not unusual. I changed my diff oil this spring and wish I had done it earlier.

With the A-6's, it depends which run group you are in. If the beginner level, everything is just fine stock but as you go up the classes, problems start to crop up and cooling seems to be the first. My recommendation would be to install a DeWitts or Ron Davis radiator with integrated eoc/toc and then a good differential cooler and see what that does to your transmission temps. Then figure out how far you want to go with hpde and what classes you want to run in. I've seen all-out race cars on the track, so there is a lot of room to grow, it just depends how far you want to take it.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:15 PM
383LPE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Driving the A6 on the track more than a couple of times is only creating an expensive Time bomb for you or the next owner.

Hopefully you'll see the joy of rowing the gears and trade it in (before you dump needless money into the A6 tranny)
Old 07-17-2014, 09:24 PM
C6WNC
Instructor

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by sportbikes
I was hoping to do some track days and was told that a stock (2012) C6 with an automatic would not do well here is SoCal at a track day. They will overheat quickly, especially if on a tight course due to the shifting requirements.

Can anyone tell share their experience with an Auto on the track or tell me if this is the case or what would be required to get the C6 capable of handling a track day in terms of heat management?
I have an 07 A6 Base. Had have been running DE's for the last 4 years. I run with Chin Motorsports at VIR and Road Atlanta in the Blue group. I have a Stock engine with Halltech intake, X pipe and Magnaflow Catback exhaust. Suspension changes include Bilstein shocks, Z06 sway bars, 2 piece rotors, cooling ducts and R888's. I do not have any oil or trans cooler. Oil temps max at 285 degrees after 20mins. When I reach that temp I short shift and use 5th gear on the straights. In one or two laps of backing off the temps drop 15 degrees and then I finish the session hard. Trans temps reach 260 degrees about the same time the oil hits the 285 mark.

I average 5 to 6 two day DE events per year. I service the rear diff after 4 track days and take it in for a trans flush in the same interval. Now that may seem like overkill but at $150 to service the trans it's cheaper than a set of front brake pads. I use Mobil 1 5w-30 and add a Quart at the track. I have had zero issues.

Oh and this is my daily driver. Go have fun, just monitor your temps.

Also had the trans tuned by ECS, which shortened the shift time with the paddles.

Last edited by C6WNC; 07-17-2014 at 09:27 PM.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:43 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

I've run my 2010 GS A6 on the track a few times, ever had any issues. My oil temps don't get nearly as high as the other posters, and while on the HUD the tranny fluid shows it's getting hot, it really only gets to like 240 or so based on the DIC. It hasn't given me a bit of trouble at all.

Quick Reply: Track Days with a C6 Automatic?