Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How does everyone monitor trans and diff temps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 01:07 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by C5Z06CE
This is not a "racing tax". A pump for diff fluid needs to be able to handle hot oil up to 275F if you track the car. That water pump for your fountain and those Shurflo pumps commonly used for meth kits and soda machines have a rubber diaphragm inside to pump the fluid. How long do you think that will hold up to hot diff oil? Answer not long.... If your diff over heats and is damaged it's not cheap to replace.

If your car is a garage queen and occassionally auto crossed maybe you could get by with your diaphragm pump but any serious track use will require a pump that uses GEARS to pump oil. This motor is rated to 10,000hrs of use with the ability to be rebuilt and brushes are replaceable. I blew my diff on track at 100 mph and can tell you the extra $300 is worth it to me to not go through that again not to mention the expense and lost track time. It happened on lap #5 of my 1st session. I not only lost my $275 for track day, plus $175 towing, plus repair bills..... and Weeks in shop missing out driving my car, etc... Seems like cheap insurance to pay for durable quality product.

C5Z06CE

By the way here is a source to explain why gear motors are better. This guy is a bit arrogant and has a bit of a chip on his shoulders but if you filter through that he has some good stuff to teach.

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/oilsystems.htm
Good points & interesting link, thanks.

Quick Reply: How does everyone monitor trans and diff temps?