Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scan tools & smart phones discussion

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 06:28 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Default Scan tools & smart phones discussion

I need one of these obd2 sensors that work with a bluetooth connection to a smart phone (I have android).

Has anyone used these are they any good. In particular the ScanTool brand MX and LX sensors.

There are Chinese knockoffs also.

Have you used the "Torque" app?

You can use for diagnostics & also supply data add to race videos (like a dashboard)

Thanks.

Old 06-17-2014, 07:33 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Chinese knockoff. It seems to work okay. (edit: "V1.5 ELM327"... it's a little blue shorty so it doesn't stick down too far under the dash). I use it with Torque.

A couple of newbie tips:

1. You have to manually pair the OBD II thingie with the phone before anything else. Once you've got that set up the phone will automatically find it on subsequent uses, altho sometimes it asks for the access code (0000 or 1234).

2. Torque is fairly simple but you've got to play with it for a while to figure out all the functions. Use the menu button on the phone while on various pages and experiment. It will automatically log data while recording video, but you have to set that up before driving... then you can pretty easily download that (will be two files) to your computer and produce a data overlaid video with something like RaceRender.

I have recently noticed some lag when datalogging with video but that may have been to some offbeat data I was logging (it is difficult to log GM oil pressure and temp... they seem to not follow the usual OBD II standards in that area).

So, compared to a full fledged data logger it's a little buggy but for the price it's definitely worth a shot.

I do believe it will do all the functions of a basic code reader, including resetting codes (I have another gizmo for that so haven't tried it but think I've seen it in the menus).

Last edited by Mark2009; 06-17-2014 at 08:36 PM. Reason: added adapter info
Old 06-17-2014, 08:49 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

I use the Torque app with this one.

Amazon.com : Bluetooth ELM 327 Diagnostics : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics Amazon.com : Bluetooth ELM 327 Diagnostics : Automotive Electronic Security Products : Car Electronics

Also the app has an add on for track stuff.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...prowl.recorder

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 06-17-2014 at 08:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 11:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Guys,

How long have these lasted? Worked?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:20 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've had the chinese ELM327 for only about 6 months. 2 track days so far. so far so good.

For track vids I also use a bluetooth Qstarz external GPS and RaceChrono app on my Droid. Look on youtube under username "nuisance2008". I put a vid up there from NJMP in May with this setup.

Above comment is true, cannot get oil temp. Seems no one else has been able to either via OBD in a c5.

Also see ... http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...-03-c5z06.html
Old 06-18-2014, 09:42 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 315 Likes on 270 Posts

There is a SAE PID (SAEEOT_B) for engine oil pressure but I am not sure if it is available for the LS1 and LS6 engines.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:32 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I use this GoPoint blue tooth one:

http://gopointtech.com/products/

It works pretty well, and logs a lot of different things, except for oil pressure, which I would like to have at the track. It also syncs with Harry's Lap Time for data overlays:

Old 06-18-2014, 01:16 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I have used torque app and a slightly different same bluetooth adapter than fastfatboy linked (probably the same guts inside). works pretty well. Just be careful, some of the "super mini" ones have a very very slow refresh rate and can be frustrating to use.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:43 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

GM Oil Temp: set up custom PID 221154, unit C, max/min 215/-40, equation A-40. It's not exactly correct but it's usually within 5-10 degrees on my DIC. I think this is part of the GM extended PID set that you can access thru the Torque main menu.

GM Trans temp: set up custom PID 221940, unit C, max/min 200/0, equation A-40. I have no way to confirm if this provides a accurate number. This also is part of the GM extended PID set (listed as GM Method 1). Unfortunately this PID is not available on the Track Recorder (need to message the app author on that one), but it can be installed and seen on the live data page.

GM Oil Press: This was a toughie. Set up custom PID 22115c, unit PSI, max/min 100/0, equation (A*.065)-17.5. This is not part of the extended PID set, you have to create it from scratch. It's a little jumpy on my application -- while DIC says steady 42 PSI, for example, Torque will show it jumping between, say, 41-43. Dunno what's up with that.

When data is changing rapidly (e.g., go pedal is mashed) the datalogger function seems to have trouble keeping up (RPM lags, for example). There is a Torque option to use "Faster communication" with the OBD II adapter, I need to try that (Torque says it may not work with some devices). There is also an option on the same screen to "Don't calculate MPG/Fuel" which they say will speed up data retrieval.

Old 06-18-2014, 07:59 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sox-Fan
I have used torque app and a slightly different same bluetooth adapter than fastfatboy linked (probably the same guts inside). works pretty well. Just be careful, some of the "super mini" ones have a very very slow refresh rate and can be frustrating to use.
Could be my issue... here's a photo:

Old 06-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Sox-Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 345 Likes on 266 Posts

I haven't had a problem with Torque keeping up using the Bluetooth adapter similar to the one above. Admittedly, I have not used it in a while as I have HPTuners and dual Aeroforce Interceptor gauges.

Have a look at the Torque bluetooth adapter wiki. I knwo that one is listed, don't remember how it ranked.
http://torque-bhp.com/wiki/Bluetooth_Adapters
Old 06-18-2014, 09:10 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by Mark2009
GM Oil Temp: set up custom PID 221154, unit C, max/min 215/-40, equation A-40. It's not exactly correct but it's usually within 5-10 degrees on my DIC. I think this is part of the GM extended PID set that you can access thru the Torque main menu.

GM Trans temp: set up custom PID 221940, unit C, max/min 200/0, equation A-40. I have no way to confirm if this provides a accurate number. This also is part of the GM extended PID set (listed as GM Method 1). Unfortunately this PID is not available on the Track Recorder (need to message the app author on that one), but it can be installed and seen on the live data page.

GM Oil Press: This was a toughie. Set up custom PID 22115c, unit PSI, max/min 100/0, equation (A*.065)-17.5. This is not part of the extended PID set, you have to create it from scratch. It's a little jumpy on my application -- while DIC says steady 42 PSI, for example, Torque will show it jumping between, say, 41-43. Dunno what's up with that.

When data is changing rapidly (e.g., go pedal is mashed) the datalogger function seems to have trouble keeping up (RPM lags, for example). There is a Torque option to use "Faster communication" with the OBD II adapter, I need to try that (Torque says it may not work with some devices). There is also an option on the same screen to "Don't calculate MPG/Fuel" which they say will speed up data retrieval.

C6GaugesEditedIIIHD - YouTube

What data logger is that?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:15 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by Mark2009

nice work. I wonder if I can create custom PIDs with RaceChrono. have to look into that...
Old 06-18-2014, 09:16 PM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47

i think he was using Torque
Old 06-19-2014, 12:07 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by RDnomorecobra
i think he was using Torque
You can overlay torque data onto a video?

How?

Old 06-19-2014, 01:05 AM
c5_4_me
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I second froggy's request on how you used Torque to do data overlays. I thought it required much more expensive gear to do that. Nice to know it's possible with such a reasonable investment.
Old 06-19-2014, 08:23 AM
Mark2009
Safety Car

Originally Posted by froggy47

Torque and the cheapie ELM327. RaceRender2 for the video.

Torque has a Track Recorder function. You set that up to log the data you want. Then you just put the phone in the mount, hit Not Recording on the touch screen to Record, and drive. When done, hit Record to stop recording. Transfer two files from your phone to your computer (one will be video.mp4, the other will be pidlog.csv [which is the datalog]). When you open up a video creation program like RaceRender, it will walk you thru the steps to create a video. Then you have to point it to the two files you just transferred to your computer. Viola!

This all does take some minor geek skills to find the files on the phone (I suggest a USB cable, it will let you browse the phone like a hard drive) and understand where you are transferring them to on your PC.

The files on the phone will be in a gibberish folder, like 140398732 -- it is somehow related to the date, the newer the recording session the higher that number will be. Torque makes a new folder on the phone for each recording session, but you can pretty much only see them by hooking up with a USB cable or by digging thru the phone's File Manager (such as it is).

Edit: I still haven't found a completely stable phone mount, so that is a bit of an issue.

Last edited by Mark2009; 06-19-2014 at 08:32 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Scan tools & smart phones discussion

Old 06-19-2014, 10:03 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

try ...

http://www.panaviseonline.com/Panavi...ounts_s/21.htm
+
http://www.rammount.com
+
http://www.slipgripcarmounts.com/

I combined parts to build a solid, metal to metal mount for my HTC One X phone in my c5. No suction cups. Solid as a rock. Don't have a pic. If I remember I will take one tonight and post.
Old 06-19-2014, 10:07 AM
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...ar-mounts.html
Old 06-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Mark2009
Safety Car

I had trouble with Torque / Track Recorder yesterday... dunno what was up but in two sessions it quit recording shortly after 7 minutes, in two other sessions it quit recording after less than 2 minutes. Now on the street I have had this thing record as long as 14 minutes, so for some reason it seems like it doesn't like the track. Odd.

I did download one update to the Torque app but the Track Recorder plug in is current. No opportunity to test yet.

I am in the process of downloading Harry's Lap Timer Petrolhead for Android, it does the same thing (video/data). If Torque/Track Recorder acts up next time it gets the trash bin.

Quick Reply: Scan tools & smart phones discussion