Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

question c5z rear limited slip options

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 08:32 PM
555ss
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Default question c5z rear limited slip options

my limited slip is toast I am looking for options to rebuild or replace. Is this rear a pain to rebuild or similar to any other chevy or is there a better unit to in stall for a track day only car???? I run 315 Hoosiers r's and a's for time trials.
thanks Bob
Old 05-12-2014, 10:26 AM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

No personal knowledge but:
http://www.rpmtransmissions.com/page45.html
Old 05-13-2014, 12:40 AM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 555ss
my limited slip is toast I am looking for options to rebuild or replace. Is this rear a pain to rebuild or similar to any other chevy or is there a better unit to in stall for a track day only car???? I run 315 Hoosiers r's and a's for time trials.
thanks Bob
Mine just blew up because of wheel hop. Now I need to upgrade suspension and diff at same time. I have researched this heavily. Essentially you could use upgraded components and use stock diff or conversion to C6 diff which will cause you to upgrade other parts that will make it more costly to make it match, or go after market. As far as aftermarket there are 3 that are widely regarded as top choices. The Quaife, Wavetrac, and OS Giken. The Quaife is a gear diff that is usually considered indestructible but mostly directed at the drag race crowd because of a potential loss of wheel spin in a turn if one wheel is off the ground. So for road racing it is considered suboptimal. The OS Giken is a clutch pack style that is considered as indestructible as possible for a clutch style. In fact I have only heard of one ever being rebuilt even when used in racing. This one is considered the best for road racing but unless you are in a road race situation it is probably overkill. My understanding this is the diff in the Corvette Racecars. I started to look at costs for this one as it is considered the best road racing diff but ends up being quite expensive to install. Apparently, other parts also need to be changed out in the driveline (which ones I do not recall). There are fewer vendors, mechanics and installers for it which also meant I would have to ship my car to get it installed. The one I chose to go with was the Wavetrac one. It is a gear style diff that is also considered pretty indestructible and if I am not mistaken has a lifetime warranty. It is reasonably priced and more directed a road race cars. It adjusts the slip on rear wheel but unlike the Quaife you will still have traction even if one wheel is off the ground in a turn. It allows for faster application of power in a turn as well. My diff is being rebuilt by RPM and they offer and support the Wavetrac.

Good luck.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:26 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

RPM can install an OSG diff. I would imagine a number of other shops can too...basically if they can install an OEM diff they can install an OSG. The OSG is a drop in and comes with its own axle shafts.
I broke a plate (one of the ~30 odd friction discs) in an OSG diff but it still worked alright and was good enough for some pretty fast laps.
An OSG will run cooler than the other diffs.
Consider running Amsoil 190wt diff oil instead of the pricey OSG fluid. The viscosities at 212F are pretty similar. Be sure to use a thermoswitch to start your diff cooler setup to avoid burning out the pump when the fluid is cold.
The gear diffs run hot, so you will definitely need a cooler for track use.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:46 AM
C5Z06CE
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
RPM can install an OSG diff. I would imagine a number of other shops can too...basically if they can install an OEM diff they can install an OSG. The OSG is a drop in and comes with its own axle shafts.
I broke a plate (one of the ~30 odd friction discs) in an OSG diff but it still worked alright and was good enough for some pretty fast laps.
An OSG will run cooler than the other diffs.
Consider running Amsoil 190wt diff oil instead of the pricey OSG fluid. The viscosities at 212F are pretty similar. Be sure to use a thermoswitch to start your diff cooler setup to avoid burning out the pump when the fluid is cold.
The gear diffs run hot, so you will definitely need a cooler for track use.
My mechanic told me RPM does not install OSG after speaking to them. Also, they do not offer it on there site. I will be getting a diff cooler.
Old 05-13-2014, 01:47 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

RPM removed, inspected and reinstalled my OSG. You may want to call them directly.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:04 PM
555ss
Instructor

Thanks Guys atleast that gives me some direction to look at.
Old 05-13-2014, 03:13 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

C6 Z06 clutch pack and parts to fit in a C5Z are about $450 if I remember right. C6Z diff's are pretty close in performance and durability to the aftermarket units.
Old 05-14-2014, 07:47 AM
555ss
Instructor

autoxer6
Thank you so do I understand you correctly the C6Z clutch pack fits in the stock C5Z carrier??? if so that is very nice to hear..

Bob
Old 05-14-2014, 09:12 AM
msracing
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 2 Posts

i have 2 new c5z diff Carrier ,, they cam out of a new case that we used for our racecar,,

if you have any interest let me know...

MANNY
305-333-4445
Old 05-14-2014, 02:10 PM
autoxer6
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 555ss
autoxer6
Thank you so do I understand you correctly the C6Z clutch pack fits in the stock C5Z carrier??? if so that is very nice to hear..

Bob
Yes, GM Parts House (and i'm sure many others) can get you the list of parts needed for the swap.

That is what I would do in your situation.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:20 AM
555ss
Instructor

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Yes, GM Parts House (and i'm sure many others) can get you the list of parts needed for the swap.

That is what I would do in your situation.
Yes that sounds great,
I have used them many times...
THANK YOU
Bob

Get notified of new replies

To question c5z rear limited slip options

Quick Reply: question c5z rear limited slip options