Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My first track day

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 07:57 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '17

Default My first track day

What a blast!!!

I am now home after a weekend at Summit Point in West Virgina. This is my first track day ever and all I can say is bravo. This was a SCCA PDX event. I was a total newb. I was assigned an instructor and he was awesome. His attitude and instruction was the right balance of fun, critical, and educational. I learned a ton. I understood the line, got the tires to squeal, hit 120mph each time, and braked waaaayy outside of my comfort zone! I learned my Z06 is a beast and capable of far more than my skills allow.

I thank the folks on this forum. I was well prepared. My car was set up with the proper maintenance prior to the event. I also had the right gear on sight while I was there.

Based on my experience, I will sign up for more events and I can't wait to do it!!!!

In the pits with my brother in law to-be. He has the BRZ and is an instructor

I can't believe it all fit! I camped at the track to, so that gears included

If you've been thinking about it, GO!!! You won't regret it
Old 05-04-2014, 08:32 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,958 Likes on 5,346 Posts

Another addict!!! You are now standing at the top of the slippery slope staring down into the abyss that gets more costly the further you slide down. Just wondering if you are one of the guys that slides all the way down and in 5 or 6 years starts showing up at events in an 8 wheeler with two cars inside. Have seen it happen.

Bill

Last edited by Bill Dearborn; 05-04-2014 at 08:34 PM.
Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Another addict!!! You are now standing at the top of the slippery slope staring down into the abyss that gets more costly the further you slide down. Just wondering if you are one of the guys that slides all the way down and in 5 or 6 years starts showing up at events in an 8 wheeler with two cars inside. Have seen it happen.

Bill
I may be on my way there
Old 05-04-2014, 08:50 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn

Bill
Too funny! Yes, I can already see the value in having a tow vehicle and a trailer to get all your gear there :o)
Old 05-04-2014, 09:41 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Better Jet Hot coat that Visa/Mastercard LOL, it's about to see some heat.
Old 05-04-2014, 09:48 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good stuff .... In 2004 I bought a 2002 Z06 in hopes of flipping it and helping with my kids college fund instead i sold stock put the kid through college kept the Z and now instruct up and down the east coast at various HPDE events. Some say it is the most fun you can have with your pants on :-) Glad you had a blast, enjoy it.... do a bit of research and be safe :-) Welcome to the fun ...
Old 05-04-2014, 09:57 PM
Chevy Nick
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dan H,

You're preaching to the choir in this section. You should post in the C6 general forum to convert some of our lost brothers and sisters.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:01 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

I was there as well as an instructor. I was in the red C7. Glad you had a good time.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by RaleighSS
Some say it is the most fun you can have with your pants on :-)
You wear pants?
Old 05-04-2014, 10:44 PM
crease-guard
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

NOoooo....don't do it. Go get one of those flashy things from "Men in Black" and zap your memory.

It is a blast. I did the HPDE thing for almost 3 years. Told myself that was ALL I was ever going to do then got talked into going to comp school to get my racing license. Swore to myself at the beginning I was not going down that path. Then last week did the comp school and some races and HOLY CRAP was it awesome!! I was terrible, car broke on the last race into the second lap. Loved every minute of it. I don't know if I can ever go back to HPDE. This is a drug...and a damn fun one....and just as expensive.

Just remember, HPDE is the gateway drug to racing.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:29 PM
smellya
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you had fun. My friend did his first hpde after 10+ years of autox. I hope we opened his eyes up to how much more fun this is. Its a drug... I wish I could go more often. I am still a beginner. I have 3 track days under my belt and want to do at least one a month for the rest of the year.
Old 05-05-2014, 12:59 AM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

BRAVO! Welcome to Adreniline Junkies Anonymous

I am glad you had a great time. It's a rush like no other.

There needs to be a smiley face with a fish hook in the mouth. I got hooked 2.5 years ago.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:53 AM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Better Jet Hot coat that Visa/Mastercard LOL, it's about to see some heat.
Too funny, and yes this is going to test my self control
Old 05-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Bad Karma
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Welcome to the club, I'm a new member myself only been doing it for 2 years. The enjoyment factor is hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it.

I love the HPDE and Time trial stuff I do... but the itch to race wheel to wheel grows... I need a better job...
Old 05-05-2014, 01:42 PM
JRitt@essex
Supporting Vendor

Received 419 Likes on 273 Posts

Congrats...and good luck with the addiction.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:18 PM
Baron7700
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Im in stroudsburg!

I just did my first HPDE ever on 5/2 at pocono raceway with the audi club, and im addicted as well. Im throwing up a thread with videos. C7 did way better than me!
Old 05-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Dan H.
Drifting

St. Jude Donor '17

Originally Posted by Baron7700
Im in stroudsburg!

I just did my first HPDE ever on 5/2 at pocono raceway with the audi club, and im addicted as well. Im throwing up a thread with videos. C7 did way better than me!
Thats about 15 minutes from my place, I lived there a few years back. I was told by my instructor that the audi groups run very good events. I'm looking to register for my next event, trying to do watkins glen in June with a porche group from DC.

I had my friends gopro in the car, but it wouldn't take video, i was bummed because it was a rockin session, oh well :o)

Get notified of new replies

To My first track day

Old 05-05-2014, 09:41 PM
millstreet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan H.
Thats about 15 minutes from my place, I lived there a few years back. I was told by my instructor that the audi groups run very good events. I'm looking to register for my next event, trying to do watkins glen in June with a porche group from DC.

I had my friends gopro in the car, but it wouldn't take video, i was bummed because it was a rockin session, oh well :o)
Watkins Glen is car MECCA, but the walls are very close
just do it!!

looks like this;

Andy
Old 05-05-2014, 10:00 PM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bad Karma
Welcome to the club, I'm a new member myself only been doing it for 2 years. The enjoyment factor is hard to describe to someone who hasn't experienced it.

I love the HPDE and Time trial stuff I do... but the itch to race wheel to wheel grows... I need a better job...
Crap-can endurance racing is my recommendation on satisfying the W2W itch. Been doing it for about 3 years now. Its certainly cheaper than fielding a Vette and you split your costs with a team. Drive time is comparible to a HPDE, but the W2W aspect, pit strategy, etc, all add to the experience. Over the last few years, our endurance racing has run each team member about 1.5x-2x cost of a typical HPDE. This is with a well sorted car and proper prep done. Choose your fix (in order of most serious racing first):

WRL (World Racing League) - www.worldracingleague.org
ChumpCar - www.chumpcar.com
24 Hours of LeMons - www.24hoursoflemons.com

Last edited by BryanPendleton; 05-06-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 05-05-2014, 10:06 PM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is that a supercharger whining, Andy? That is crazy loud, I hope its not that loud with helmet on.

Quick Reply: My first track day