Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I actually want/ need coilovers?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:44 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Default Do I actually want/ need coilovers?

A good friend of mine is selling his car, and offerered me his LG GT2 Coilovers in exchange for my stock springs/ JOC shocks. I 95% street drive my car, and 5% HPDE with R-compounds at the track.

Do I really want the LG coilovers, or will they adversely affect street ride quality?
Old 04-21-2014, 11:13 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I switched to the GT2 and swaybars, I kicked myself that I didn't do it sooner. It is a night and day difference in all the best ways possible. It makes the car feel more responsive sure footed and the loose rearend when going over bumps in a curve goes away. I found no downsides, well with the exception that now that I have the G2's I like those even better . If I were you I would do it in a NY second.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:58 PM
w00tw00t
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
When I switched to the GT2 and swaybars, I kicked myself that I didn't do it sooner. It is a night and day difference in all the best ways possible. It makes the car feel more responsive sure footed and the loose rearend when going over bumps in a curve goes away. I found no downsides, well with the exception that now that I have the G2's I like those even better . If I were you I would do it in a NY second.

me too - coilovers made a huge difference even on the street.

morris - how much of a difference did you see going from GT2s to G2s?
Old 04-22-2014, 02:10 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Don't bother unless they're free.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
Don't bother unless they're free.
Why is that?
Old 04-22-2014, 03:31 PM
morris
Drifting

Originally Posted by w00tw00t
me too - coilovers made a huge difference even on the street.

morris - how much of a difference did you see going from GT2s to G2s?
It was significant at the same time I added drop spindles, r6's, camber kit and mono *****. It's hard to isolate the improvements solely due to the G2 but if I were attempt to do is I would say the following. The car corners sharper and flatter the springs are heavier than the gt2 springs. In order to get the same level of stiffness on the gt2 I would have to really dial in some stiff settings but then the car would be unstable over rough track and bumps at higher speeds. The g2 lets me have the stiffness and still absorb the roughness in the track without feeling like I will loose control of the car at 150mph. In short it was worth the upgrade for a guy that is a track junkie I would reccomendations it without hesitation. For someone that still wants a softer ride though stiffer than stock I would say gt2.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:33 PM
morris
Drifting

Oh and less squat under acceleration particularly when in a curve it helps to inspire confidence while accelerating and maintain traction, both in the rear and front.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:53 PM
Jawnathin
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

How is ride quality with the coilovers? Car is dual purpose, so I don't want to ruin quality on the street.

Running DRM Revalved Bilsteins on my C6Z now, been told coilovers are the bees knees so I'm considering them.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
It was significant at the same time I added drop spindles, r6's, camber kit and mono *****. It's hard to isolate the improvements solely due to the G2 but if I were attempt to do is I would say the following. The car corners sharper and flatter the springs are heavier than the gt2 springs. In order to get the same level of stiffness on the gt2 I would have to really dial in some stiff settings but then the car would be unstable over rough track and bumps at higher speeds. The g2 lets me have the stiffness and still absorb the roughness in the track without feeling like I will loose control of the car at 150mph. In short it was worth the upgrade for a guy that is a track junkie I would reccomendations it without hesitation. For someone that still wants a softer ride though stiffer than stock I would say gt2.
Morris...curious as to why you went coils and drop spindles? Maintain more travel?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:12 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Jawnathin
How is ride quality with the coilovers? Car is dual purpose, so I don't want to ruin quality on the street.

Running DRM Revalved Bilsteins on my C6Z now, been told coilovers are the bees knees so I'm considering them.
I know I've been telling you to pull the trigger on coils...but I have to answer this for you as well. Ride quality is far superior than anything stock like (shocks/leaf springs). The car stays flatter, the front end doesn't lift, and the rear maintains excellent control. On the street..i get compliments all the time with how smooth the ride is...and all I have to do is reach underneath, turn the dial 2 or 3 clicks to a harder setting, and bam...its a race car. With all you've done on your car...you are doing it an injustice by letting it suffer without coils and sways. Just sayin.....
Old 04-22-2014, 04:24 PM
Wickster
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How difficult is it to install coils?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:31 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Originally Posted by LFZ
I know I've been telling you to pull the trigger on coils...but I have to answer this for you as well. Ride quality is far superior than anything stock like (shocks/leaf springs). The car stays flatter, the front end doesn't lift, and the rear maintains excellent control. On the street..i get compliments all the time with how smooth the ride is...and all I have to do is reach underneath, turn the dial 2 or 3 clicks to a harder setting, and bam...its a race car. With all you've done on your car...you are doing it an injustice by letting it suffer without coils and sways. Just sayin.....
How many adjustments to the LG GT2's have? One of the appeals of the JOC package is just install and forget about it. Although I did go the extra mile and pull my scales out, corner weight, and install a camber kit and an aggressive street/ track alignment per Pfadt's recommendations. But I do notice that the front end definitely rises up at WOT, and front end dips hardcore on braking. Enough to make the rear end feel pretty light. But boy does that JOC package ride nice on the street. Zero complaints about ride quality.

All these options are really confusing!
Old 04-22-2014, 05:01 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
How many adjustments to the LG GT2's have? One of the appeals of the JOC package is just install and forget about it. Although I did go the extra mile and pull my scales out, corner weight, and install a camber kit and an aggressive street/ track alignment per Pfadt's recommendations. But I do notice that the front end definitely rises up at WOT, and front end dips hardcore on braking. Enough to make the rear end feel pretty light. But boy does that JOC package ride nice on the street. Zero complaints about ride quality.

All these options are really confusing!
I personally do not have GT2s on my car...(I have Featherlights), but I am familiar with the LG coils. There is enough adjustment on the dampening to dial it in where you like it. If you want to install and forget about it, I can't say thats going to be the case with any set of coils; however, if you are willing to pull out the scales, you'd be willing to adjust coils.

LG G2 coils are valved and springed specifically for what your needs are, so that might be something to consider...but you'll of course have to make some height adjustments, especially if you are corner weighting...the G2 coils are also more expensive than the GT2 coils. (G2s have inverted Bilstein shock bodies with Hyperco springs).
Old 04-22-2014, 05:12 PM
morris
Drifting

The adjustments on the gt2's aren't bad basically you set it where you like the ride and leave it, there. If after a week you decided it is too soft just reach under each wheel and give it too more clicks.

I decided on the drop spindles and coils for a couple of reasons. The G2's are better for me on the track than the Gt2. The drop spindles were a no brainer, it gives full suspension travel even with the car lowered and it has camber built in, both of which are important but especially important at the track.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:06 PM
3X2
Melting Slicks

Received 466 Likes on 361 Posts

Just get GM's T1 package.
Old 04-22-2014, 07:09 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

With 2 very similar setup C5 Z06s run with the same tires on the same days on the same tracks we saw (with data) that there was a much larger gain with the sway bars (GM T1) vs. stock than with the LG coils vs. stock.

If I was building a street/track C5Z again, it would be stock Z06 springs, T1 bars, and T1 or a similar shock.

But if they're free...
Old 04-22-2014, 08:01 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
With 2 very similar setup C5 Z06s run with the same tires on the same days on the same tracks we saw (with data) that there was a much larger gain with the sway bars (GM T1) vs. stock than with the LG coils vs. stock.

If I was building a street/track C5Z again, it would be stock Z06 springs, T1 bars, and T1 or a similar shock.

But if they're free...
T1 bars....

Get notified of new replies

To Do I actually want/ need coilovers?

Old 04-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

How do the T1 bars compare to the Pfadt JOC bars?
Old 04-22-2014, 10:22 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jawnathin

You need a set of Motion Controls for your car!!!
Old 04-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Chris Edwards
Drifting

Guys I've decided I'm gonna do a track day on May 17th with the existing setup (JOC package) and shake the car down to see how it does. I will be using 305 front/ 325 rear Conti scrubs from GT Racing Tires. I'm sure I'll have a clearer perspective vis-a-vis what needs to be changed or improved once I actually know what's wrong with it (if anything).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do I actually want/ need coilovers?