Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Goodbye, Corvette. Hello GTA car.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
That's certainly a quick way to make a weekend a whole lot more expensive.

www.pure-gas.org <~~~ Ethanol free gas.

I light $100 bills for fun! Don't you? LOL

Whether it's 100, 104, 110, all the same price at the track ($9/gallon). BTW - none of those stations listed are nearby or have high enough octane (ie - 91 octane is the highest, the Keller station is $3/gallon MORE than what we pay at the track...).
Old 08-19-2014, 05:24 PM
millstreet
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain Buddha
I light $100 bills for fun! Don't you? LOL

Whether it's 100, 104, 110, all the same price at the track ($9/gallon). BTW - none of those stations listed are nearby or have high enough octane (ie - 91 octane is the highest, the Keller station is $3/gallon MORE than what we pay at the track...).
if you're looking to save money, racing is a bad way to go about it...

Andy

Pocono SCCA Sunday 8/10/14 ;

Old 08-19-2014, 05:50 PM
Captain Buddha
Drifting

Received 177 Likes on 129 Posts

Very nice, Andy! But were you really racing? Looked like you were out for a Sunday drive...LOL...I like the start..."I pass you, you pass me, I pass you" (the gray camaro).
Old 08-19-2014, 05:56 PM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

That is just... yikes.

I've never had trouble finding E-free 93 for close to the same price as any other 93. ...usually $.20/gallon or so more.

Originally Posted by millstreet
if you're looking to save money, racing is a bad way to go about it...
That may be true... but it doesn't mean I want to go spend a few hundred dollars extra for no good reason every time I drive the car.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:16 PM
millstreet
Heel & Toe

Very nice, Andy! But were you really racing? Looked like you were out for a Sunday drive...LOL...I like the start..."I pass you, you pass me, I pass you" (the gray camaro).
gray Camaro was starting on the pole, he had qualified fastest with a 1:31, By Sunday his motor had soured a bit, slowing him to 1:36 laps, that 's why I was able to pass him @ the start, he passed me because I was trying a bit too hard on cold tires & slid 2 wheels off the track, my bast laps where during the race @ 1:33

had a blast

lots of lapper passing during the later stages, even got close to the 800HP leader once or twice:

Andy

Old 08-20-2014, 11:07 AM
racer313g
Instructor

Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO
That is just... yikes.

I've never had trouble finding E-free 93 for close to the same price as any other 93. ...usually $.20/gallon or so more.

That may be true... but it doesn't mean I want to go spend a few hundred dollars extra for no good reason every time I drive the car.
55 gallons of 112 per weekend @ $6 gallon = $330

Old skool, carbureted SBC walking the puny LS1s/LS6s by 2 cars down the straights = Priceless

Old 08-20-2014, 11:13 AM
RedLS1GTO
Race Director

Received 42 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by racer313g
Old skool, carbureted SBC walking the puny LS1s/LS6s by 2 cars down the straights = Priceless
#Coperocket
Old 08-20-2014, 02:38 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey guys any problem with running 110 LL AVGAS instead of race fuel?
Old 08-20-2014, 02:44 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Hey guys any problem with running 110 LL AVGAS instead of race fuel?
Not a good plan. Enven though it has Low Lead in the name, it has far more lead than Auto Fuels
Old 08-20-2014, 02:47 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Not a good plan. Enven though it has Low Lead in the name, it has far more lead than Auto Fuels
I know it has allot of lead, but what harm will the lead do? I know it's bad for cats, but I won't have a problem there.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:09 PM
racer313g
Instructor

I know it has allot of lead, but what harm will the lead do? I know it's bad for cats, but I won't have a problem there.
It should be fine in a catalytic converter-less LS motor. AVGAS is actually "low lead" now and can't be run in a car without hardened valve seats.

Unfortunately, unless you have it really close, by the time you factor in going to get it the price is almost the same as race gas.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:15 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by racer313g
It should be fine in a catalytic converter-less LS motor. AVGAS is actually "low lead" now and can't be run in a car without hardened valve seats.

Unfortunately, unless you have it really close, by the time you factor in going to get it the price is almost the same as race gas.
I have it about a mile from me. The issue I have with race gas is I can't store any quantities here where I warehouse the car. I have the EPA in here regularly inspecting because I'm an Ewaste facility and warehouse large quantities of paper. I could hide a 55 gallon drum somewhere but if they found it there would be hell. The Avgas I could just run over and fill my 5 gallon gas cans as needed.

BTW what makes you think it harms valve seats that aren't hardened? I thought that was the whole point in running it in older cars, it helped the valve seats last longer?

Last edited by moespeeds; 08-20-2014 at 03:26 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 04:10 PM
racer313g
Instructor

I have it about a mile from me. The issue I have with race gas is I can't store any quantities here where I warehouse the car. I have the EPA in here regularly inspecting because I'm an Ewaste facility and warehouse large quantities of paper. I could hide a 55 gallon drum somewhere but if they found it there would be hell. The Avgas I could just run over and fill my 5 gallon gas cans as needed.

BTW what makes you think it harms valve seats that aren't hardened? I thought that was the whole point in running it in older cars, it helped the valve seats last longer?
Supposedly it (the 100LL AVGAS) no longer contains enough lead for older cars. I've read about people having issues in their "driver" older cars which has kept me from trying it in my race car. I have a GTA car with and SBC configuration , not an LS based engine.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a firesuit, but I don't wear it on track days. I know, I'm living on the edge, but that's just how I roll.

What type of power steering rack do you have? How big is your steering wheel? I think I screwed up putting the 350mm wheel on there, it was about 1.5" smaller than the wheel it came with.

Can anyone help me with getting this thing into reverse? It won't go! I was told to push down HARD on the shifter, then push left and forward, like I'm going into first. But every time, I just end up in first gear. I was told I may need to adjust it, but how? Here is a picture of what I've got under here.

Looks like a T101 to me. If its a long shifter you push down hard then push towards first gear. The reverse gear is very skinny and easy to destroy...So it could be its toast. I think its also possible that the shift linkage is in the wrong spot. Its the farthest one back on the T101s and you might be able to move it by hand and try that.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:17 PM
SDF
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

My car has a Jerico...for reverse its all the way to the right...push down and forward.
As for as the question raised about AvGas...one of your biggest problems will be getting a fixed base operation to sell it to you. You may be able too if you know somebody there, but if they get caught selling it for highway use there is hell to pay.
AvGas is not the best choice for your race car. AvGas while having some lead, is actually designed to run at altitude. In a distillation test, it has totally different properties than a race fuel or a premium fuel purchase from a local service station. AvGas also has a water dispersing agent in it as carburetor icing can be a problem at very high altitudes. Hope this helps.........
Old 08-20-2014, 11:40 PM
Charley Hoyt
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Many years ago I got my Airframe and Powerplant license (the FAA license that enables working on Aircraft) and I worked in an Aircraft engine overhaul shop..... And we were always taught to never use AvGas in cars. The few people in the shop that decided to AvGas anyway all had problems, and became the but of jokes for their inability to follow the tribal knowledge. My advice,FWIW, is to stick to fuels that are blended for your application. If you are racing use racing fuel, if you are flying use AvGas. They are optimized for specific applications. If they were the same the would use them for multiple applications.

Charley
Old 08-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have to adjust it, you will need to make sure the link is allowing the rear most lever to fully travel forwards and backwards. It could be the rod isn't adjusted to allow it to go back and forth the full amount. If I understand how they work is that each one of those levers has three positions forward (lets say 1st gear) neutral and backwards (2nd gear). the the next one is the same 3rd neutral and 4th. the rear one is just reverse and neutral. So make sure it can go the full travel in both directions. so might have to adjust the rod ends on that aluminum rods to allow for that.
Old 09-27-2014, 11:03 AM
rikhek
Safety Car

Received 860 Likes on 393 Posts

FWIW, here in Oklahoma in run 91 ethanol free in my ASA LS1 without issue. I have six 5 gallon jugs I haul to the track when I run the car. No knocking or issues at all.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:10 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

I've been mixing 100 with 93 about 50/50. Still haven't tried the Avgas I gotta get over to the airport and do some research into what's actually in it. I do know from my flying days that experimental engines that were tuned for automotive pump gas could also run on 105 LL from the airport pumps. Shifter was toast, I took it apart and the reverse arm was all egged out. Put in a Long and it's great. Raced the car for the first time this past weekend at Millville with the SCCA, video below. I love this thing, and have smashed my C5 time by 5 seconds and I'm still just getting used to it.

Blew the start when I tried to hold 3rd at the rev limiter rather than just shifting into 4th.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Goodbye, Corvette. Hello GTA car.