Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Pressure System on and off the track?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:17 AM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 185 Likes on 118 Posts
NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Tire Pressure System on and off the track?

Hey Gang, like most offen when I have a question I come here first. Two sets of wheels, one with and one without TPMS. I want to track the set without the TPMS.

Car: 2010 GS, M6

Q. Does anyone know of any issue with switch wheels "regulary"?

I'll check the owner's manual for turning on and off the TPMS, unless there is some one who can offer advice, reccomendations or had experiences along this line.

Thanks Y'all
Boxcar
Old 04-16-2014, 03:40 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Received 122 Likes on 97 Posts

You have a few options.

Easiest (to me) is to have two sets of TPMS, one in each set of rims/tires. You can also get LG's track box to eliminate TPMS, or you can do the seal 4 tpms's in a canister and mount canister in car.

I use the first option, two sets of sensors . I change rims tires almost every weekend. No issues (other than a bad TPMS trigger tool in the beginning, and a dead TPMS sensor once)

Hope that helps
Old 04-16-2014, 08:30 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by UrbanKnight
You have a few options.

Easiest (to me) is to have two sets of TPMS, one in each set of rims/tires. You can also get LG's track box to eliminate TPMS, or you can do the seal 4 tpms's in a canister and mount canister in car.

I use the first option, two sets of sensors . I change rims tires almost every weekend. No issues (other than a bad TPMS trigger tool in the beginning, and a dead TPMS sensor once)

Hope that helps
Roger that,

I don't have them mounted yet, so I'd better get a set ordered. I think that is the best solution so that I don't mess with the OB Systems. Any recommendation where to order from?

T/M
Old 04-16-2014, 09:47 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Boxcar
Roger that,

I don't have them mounted yet, so I'd better get a set ordered. I think that is the best solution so that I don't mess with the OB Systems. Any recommendation where to order from?

T/M
try Bob at House of wheels (forum vendor)
Old 04-17-2014, 03:26 AM
ImHuntingWabbits
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had mine cloned, so both my track wheels and my street wheels have the same sensor IDs, 2 track days in everything is fine.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/whee...-the-tpms.html
Old 04-17-2014, 08:47 AM
TorontoC6
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

You have a few options.

Hope that helps
I took this approach as well with my street/track C6. One additional point, you need to have a tpms tool to reset or re-learn the sensors when you change wheels (assuming you did not clone sensors).
Old 04-18-2014, 10:45 PM
morris
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the cloning, so now I can swap wheels without anything else. I bought a cloning kit from Amazon 4 sensors and the programmer. It was quick and easy I get to keep my eye on tire pressure when I am on the track and no worries when I switch wheels
Old 04-21-2014, 10:45 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

A third option is when you always have a 2010 or later C6 street car nearby, their sensors will also transmit to your car. Learned that when the C7 was being introduced from a factor engineer.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:54 AM
morris
Drifting

Yea not sure what you are saying but each sensor is serialized and that serial number is programmed to e car. One car will not pickup another cars sensors
Old 04-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Gordy M
Melting Slicks

Received 316 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by morris
Yea not sure what you are saying but each sensor is serialized and that serial number is programmed to e car. One car will not pickup another cars sensors
Here is what he said

When vehicle has 0 or 4 TMP's are present you can turn stability control off....However if you have 0 present and are within 50-150 feet of another vehicle with TMP's ..you car will pick up a TMP signal and then the vehicle goes back into stability control mode.

That was new to everyone present at the meeting by the way.
Old 04-22-2014, 10:53 AM
morris
Drifting

That doesn't sound correct to me but then I'm no engineer either.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:52 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
I took this approach as well with my street/track C6. One additional point, you need to have a tpms tool to reset or re-learn the sensors when you change wheels (assuming you did not clone sensors).
And if you find a good reset tool, let us know what it is. The one I have works intermittently @ best. End up taking it to the dealer 1/2 the time.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 04-22-2014 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 03:58 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
And if you find a good reset tool, let us know what it is. The one I have works intermittently @ best. End up taking it to the dealer 1/2 the time.
Had two cheaper tools before, and this one is soo cheap but works great for me, and I swap tires almost weekly...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/K-Tool-KTI-71990-Tire-Inflation-Positioning-Sensor-Tool-Auto-Diagnostic-with-CD-/390783678794?hash=item5afc85b94a&item=390783678794&vxp=mtr
Old 04-22-2014, 04:17 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Had two cheaper tools before, and this one is soo cheap but works great for me, and I swap tires almost weekly...

K Tool KTI 71990 Tire Inflation Positioning Sensor Tool Auto Diagnostic with CD | eBay

What year is your car?
Old 04-22-2014, 04:29 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
tire rack has a good one. the big secret is to rap the tire with a rubber hammer to wake up the sensor
Old 04-22-2014, 04:36 PM
UrbanKnight
Drifting

Originally Posted by tkogto
what year is your car?
2011 gs
Old 04-22-2014, 10:41 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
tire rack has a good one. the big secret is to rap the tire with a rubber hammer to wake up the sensor

EVERYBODY that doesn't have a TPMS tool should get the $20 Cub Pro 101 tool that Tire Rack has on clearance right now. It's a nice little tool with a screen that shows the sensor's ID#, the tire pressure, and for a 2010-2013 it displays the temperature in the tire:

The software in the tool only includes up through the 2009 model year vehicles.

However, the 2010-2013 C6 uses a sensor that has been used in a bunch of other GM vehicles prior to 2009, one of which is the HHR.

That's why it says HHR at the top of the screen in the picture above - I selected HHR in order to do a diagnostic check on a 2012 GS sensor.

The tool is so cheap at their clearance price that it's just too good of a deal to pass up if you don't have a TPMS tool.

I believe it will also clone sensors.

Bob

Get notified of new replies

To Tire Pressure System on and off the track?

Old 04-23-2014, 11:20 AM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Originally Posted by BEZ06

EVERYBODY that doesn't have a TPMS tool should get the $20 Cub Pro 101 tool that Tire Rack has on clearance right now. It's a nice little tool with a screen that shows the sensor's ID#, the tire pressure, and for a 2010-2013 it displays the temperature in the tire:

The software in the tool only includes up through the 2009 model year vehicles. However, the 2010-2013 C6 uses a sensor that has been used in a bunch of other GM vehicles prior to 2009, one of which is the HHR. That's why it says HHR at the top of the screen in the picture above - I selected HHR in order to do a diagnostic check on a 2012 GS sensor. The tool is so cheap at their clearance price that it's just too good of a deal to pass up if you don't have a TPMS tool.

I believe it will also clone sensors.

Bob
Thanks gents.
Will remember to use the rubber hammer tip.
Ordered the CUB PRO this morning. $30 beans w/ S&H beats the c-note my current one cost.

Terry
Old 04-23-2014, 03:41 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Wow...great conversation....
I decided to get 4 new TPMS and have them cloned to the ones on the car. My friend in the tire business sold them to me for $45 each vs $60+ at Autozone and others.

Now to look into the TPMS Tool. I love new tools. Can't have to many tools.....ever!

So now I have GS rims with TMPS and Michelin Pilot Sport Cup Tires, and soon to have Z06 rims with TPMS and Michelin Pilot Sport ZR tires on them.

This is why the forum is so excellent, just sit down ask a question and read other threads. If you don't learn something....your

Thanks for all the great information.

Last edited by Boxcar; 04-23-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:54 PM
Boxcar
Life Starts at 120 mph

Support Corvetteforum!

NCM Lifetime Member
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by TorontoC6
HEy Ed, what you doing lurking around in here? Aren't you track stars suppose to have your your forum? LOL

See soon at the Glen my friend

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure System on and off the track?