Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door window on race car

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 04:09 PM
lefrog
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Door window on race car

I need to cut the doors of my C5Z for the Nascar door bars of my rollcage. That probably means that the window will have to go, however I would like to keep the windows for transportation.
What solutions do you guys have to keep the window in place once the motor and the bottom half of the door has been cut?
Is there an alternative to windows to keep the car protected during transportation on an open trailer?
Pictures are welcome!

Thanks

Last edited by lefrog; 04-14-2014 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:12 PM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 284 Likes on 200 Posts

Personally, I have used plexiglas either inside the channels, with a pull that is velcro'd, or not inside the channel, but taped to the opening.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:16 PM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by 63Corvette
Personally, I have used plexiglas either inside the channels, with a pull that is velcro'd, or not inside the channel, but taped to the opening.
The windows are quite curvy on the C5, does the plexiglas bend easily (eventually by warming it up)?
Old 04-14-2014, 05:15 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Keep the stock glass (because you already own it and it is free), scribe a line across the glass with a marker where the door frame meets the glass, that is how deep you need to suspend it once you gut the door and nothing remains inside the door or on the bottom of the window. Use a piece of 20ga aluminum that is 12"x 9" and bend a channel for the window to sit in, and then another channel to suspend your aluminum bracket as it sits on inside of the door frame at the top (I remove the weatherstrip at the top of the door for this). For my C6, the channel is 4.25" inches deep and has 2" "v"s on each end (think the letter N). Longer than 2" and you won't be able to drop it in the top of the door. Line it with a little foam padding, drop the window in, shut the door, and tape your door pull (good reminder from 63Corvette).

Last edited by JerryTX; 04-14-2014 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-14-2014, 07:10 PM
lefrog
Racer

Excellent tips, thanks.
If you have a picture of your C6 setup I would be happy to see that.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:41 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

This thread might give you some more ideas:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...as-needed.html
Old 04-14-2014, 10:34 PM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by MySR71
This thread might give you some more ideas:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/auto...as-needed.html
Awesome link. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2014, 05:44 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

I'm not even sure if NASCAR is using "NASCAR bars" anymore. Before you start taking thing apart Google FIA roll cages. Pratt and Miller use them on both the Corvettes and the Cadillacs. The old NASCAR bars are petty antiquated.

Also take a look at what the Aussies are doing in V8 Supercars.

Richard Newton
Old 04-15-2014, 10:42 PM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by rfn026
I'm not even sure if NASCAR is using "NASCAR bars" anymore. Before you start taking thing apart Google FIA roll cages. Pratt and Miller use them on both the Corvettes and the Cadillacs. The old NASCAR bars are petty antiquated.
I am not trying to build an FIA GT spec rollcage which is an overkill for my application. SCCA/NASA compliance is what I am aiming at. Actually the Pratt and Miller door bar does not go inside the door, it is aligned with the chassis which would not work in my C5 as it would be in the way.
If you use an X for the door bar, I have read that they don't allow them to bow out, they have to stay in the same vertical plane as it is more solid. This is not the case for a Nascar style door bar.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:46 PM
redvetracr
Race Director

Received 174 Likes on 160 Posts

two words for you.....enclosed trailer
Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 AM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by redvetracr
two words for you.....enclosed trailer
Probably the best option if cost is not an issue!
Old 04-16-2014, 05:19 PM
rmackintosh
Pro

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by lefrog
I am not trying to build an FIA GT spec rollcage which is an overkill for my application. SCCA/NASA compliance is what I am aiming at. Actually the Pratt and Miller door bar does not go inside the door, it is aligned with the chassis which would not work in my C5 as it would be in the way.
If you use an X for the door bar, I have read that they don't allow them to bow out, they have to stay in the same vertical plane as it is more solid. This is not the case for a Nascar style door bar.
Yeah, as a bigger guy...my NASCAR door bars are ALL THE WAY out to the door skin. This makes it EASY for my big *** to get in and out of the car, yes STILL have the level of protection that I DEMAND.
Old 04-16-2014, 05:42 PM
LateBreak
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

With Nascar style bars on a C5, it's really slick to just run verticals at an angle down to the frame. I can't see this being insufficient in any side impact scenario.

Here's one from the Google:
Old 05-31-2014, 07:21 AM
lefrog
Racer

Here is the solution I came up with:
Old 05-31-2014, 09:31 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

first tow and the suction will pull the window right out.
Old 05-31-2014, 02:22 PM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
first tow and the suction will pull the window right out.
I am not sure what suction you are talking about. Anyhow after hours of towing on highways and bumpy New England roads, I can report that so far the windows haven't move a bit. I even went through a major storm and the car stayed dry. Just make sure you take the time to put adjust the window when you put it in to prevent leaks.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:24 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by lefrog
I am not sure what suction you are talking about. Anyhow after hours of towing on highways and bumpy New England roads, I can report that so far the windows haven't move a bit. I even went through a major storm and the car stayed dry. Just make sure you take the time to put adjust the window when you put it in to prevent leaks.
Well obviously I'm wrong. When doing freeway speeds there is a scution that occurs trying to suck the windows away from the car. It did not look like anything kept the windows from being easily removed from the outside like I could lift the window right out. My bad or am I not seeing you the window is retained? I see how it is seated and will not drop down.

Get notified of new replies

To Door window on race car

Old 06-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 475 Likes on 352 Posts

Wow. A ridiculously simple solution. I think for some warm fuzzies I'd stick some tape along the top.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:31 PM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Well obviously I'm wrong. When doing freeway speeds there is a scution that occurs trying to suck the windows away from the car. It did not look like anything kept the windows from being easily removed from the outside like I could lift the window right out. My bad or am I not seeing you the window is retained? I see how it is seated and will not drop down.
When the window is installed in its proper location as if it were lifted up all the way, there is actually quite a bit of pressure on the weatherstrip just by sitting in place. I never trailer over 70mph on the highway and with the truck in front, that might not create as much of a depression on the windows as if the car were to drive by itself at that speed.
It is actually pretty hard to remove the window if you don't open the door. As there is too much prying involved, I just open the door when I need to remove the window.
I just got an enclosed trailer so only a couple more tows with the open one until I don't need this anymore but it looks like it is working fine.
Old 06-04-2014, 07:34 PM
lefrog
Racer

Originally Posted by Supercharged111
Wow. A ridiculously simple solution. I think for some warm fuzzies I'd stick some tape along the top.
For added security you can put some tape, but if you want something that is resistant to water, you'll have to get some strong tape that is going to be hard to remove and leave marks on both the weatherstrip and the window.
This is probably something one might do for a long haul tow otherwise it might be more of a headache than a real added benefit.

Quick Reply: Door window on race car