Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

B-Street (BS) Corvette Build

Old 07-19-2014, 02:38 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rotis
How did you like the V2s in the wet? I ran them when they were still at full tread and thought they were pretty amazing.
They are OK. If comparing to the V1s, they are awesome. But if it's wet at Nationals for a full day, I'll be running the Contis.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:38 PM
strano@stranoparts.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 231 Likes on 145 Posts

Just a little update on the bar thing.

It's a computerized world, which isn't always good. Additionally not everyone has reading comprehension skills. An old program, one that should have been deleted was used to run bars. That was realized and a second replacement set was run..... using... the..... same.... program. Production manager found out, found 5 of the 6 bars, but one got away last week.

New ones are being run with the RIGHT program, and the right bender now and those that don't fit will be replaced ASAP. This is the bar a lot of us run, it works. Sadly there are bumps in the road sometimes.

I run this bar, Lane runs it, Tony Savini, it's on a lot of SSR, AST, and more than a couple B-street cars too. Bear with me. We're fixing it.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:46 PM
chetly
Burning Brakes

Received 84 Likes on 71 Posts

I had no issues with the Strano bar that showed up to my house last Friday. I trimmed the bushings a very small amount because of the reading here and didnt have an issue getting it to fit, or having the bushings not line up. It took maybe 20 minutes to take the old off and put the new on once i had the car up on jackstands.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:32 PM
brenb
Instructor

Originally Posted by Sam Strano
Just a little update on the bar thing.

It's a computerized world, which isn't always good. Additionally not everyone has reading comprehension skills. An old program, one that should have been deleted was used to run bars. That was realized and a second replacement set was run..... using... the..... same.... program. Production manager found out, found 5 of the 6 bars, but one got away last week.

New ones are being run with the RIGHT program, and the right bender now and those that don't fit will be replaced ASAP. This is the bar a lot of us run, it works. Sadly there are bumps in the road sometimes.

I run this bar, Lane runs it, Tony Savini, it's on a lot of SSR, AST, and more than a couple B-street cars too. Bear with me. We're fixing it.
No complaints here...it's actually nice to know that I'm not completely inept. :lol

If I didn't say it already, thanks again for taking care of this so quickly and painlessly.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:02 PM
dale3guy
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

How does the V1 RS3 compare to the V2 in dry conditions? The discounted prices on the V1 make them tempting.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:21 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Originally Posted by dale3guy
How does the V1 RS3 compare to the V2 in dry conditions? The discounted prices on the V1 make them tempting.
So far, in my opinion and with limited testing, the V2s seem to be a few tenths faster than the V1 on a 30 second course. The biggest difference is in the wet (see earlier post).

The V2s also handle heat really well. When I was running the Super Challenge at the Lincoln Pro, I broke out on my runs in the 3rd-4th round and even though I kept doing everything the same, my reaction times kept dropping from the low .600's until my red light in the semi-finals. I really think they see more improvement than a couple tenths with some heat in them.

That said, unless you are talking National level events with a good, competitive showing in class, I think you can get away with the V1s just fine.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:48 PM
dale3guy
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ltborg
So far, in my opinion and with limited testing, the V2s seem to be a few tenths faster than the V1 on a 30 second course. The biggest difference is in the wet (see earlier post).

The V2s also handle heat really well. When I was running the Super Challenge at the Lincoln Pro, I broke out on my runs in the 3rd-4th round and even though I kept doing everything the same, my reaction times kept dropping from the low .600's until my red light in the semi-finals. I really think they see more improvement than a couple tenths with some heat in them.

That said, unless you are talking National level events with a good, competitive showing in class, I think you can get away with the V1s just fine.
Thanks for the info!
Old 08-29-2014, 10:20 AM
89BP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Curious about your rear camber. 1.4 seems low to me, is that all the car can get, or is it the optimum setting for this platform?

Jeff Cawthorne
Old 08-29-2014, 11:58 AM
talon95
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We'll see what Lane has to say, but I know most of the cars have trouble getting more than around 1.5. I managed to squeeze 1.75 out of my C5Z, but only after shifting the subframe. A lot of people feel that you don't want to go much more than 1.5 anyway (possibly hurts forward grip). I'm not sure if it really hurts off corner accel though, or just straight line??
Old 08-30-2014, 11:31 PM
ltborg
Drifting

I'll try to remember to check tomorrow, but I think that is close to maxed out. I don't think going much more than that is good since it hurts forward traction, but I have never tested it. Given that I could use more rear grip, it might be something for me to look at.

If the camber is maxed out, the only way to get more would be to lower the rear, which tends to cause more oversteer as you pound the bump stops. On street tires, the reduced grip might be more tolerant of a lower ride height. I honestly haven't mess with it yet.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:34 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Default V1 Hankook Updates

Update on the V1s - It seems like I did heat cycle out the Hankooks on the second day of the Rocky Mountain Match Tour. The V1s were horrible today and the V2s fixed all the issues I had with the car. The V1s are around 120 runs. Keep in mind that I tend to run in hot weather being in Texas and I tend to drive the car with the throttle (ie. I'm harder on rear tires than most). I know some people think they heat cycle out at more runs than that, but that is not what I found on this set. We'll see if I can clean things up tomorrow and get a good lead going on the V2s in the Finale.
Old 08-30-2014, 11:38 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Default V2 Hankook Update

I should also add, that I actually had to put away my tire blankets today and spray the tires off in the second heat (while running the V2s). I was only about a tenth and a half off pace on my second runs, but the cold V2s seem to work surprisingly well. Given the low down time in between runs, the rears got a little hot during the Pro this afternoon.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:56 AM
talon95
Pro

Actually I remember quite a few accounts of the V1's going off like that, particularly for people who used them for track days, so given how hot it is in TX, it's not entirely surprising. I've been spraying my V2's if it's warm (like 80+ ambient). I can't tell they get any better after the first run on a warm day.

Good luck today. Looks like you might have some time on one side you can gain for sure (can't remember which is top/bottom in the listing, the side you're still in the 38's on).
Old 08-31-2014, 11:19 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Top is left, bottom is right.

I coned away about 0.3 so there was definitely more time out there. From looking at the data there's more. I've decided to do a bit of testing over the next three days and see if I can figure out any Lincoln specific tricks. I'll keep you guys posted.

In the mean time, I did win the Pro Finale and the ProSolo overall for season points in BS. I coned my first challenge run, made up MORE than the difference with the cone on the other side, then hit the last cone on the course, negating it all. Oh well, I'll take the class win since I only had an outside shot at the overall anyway. Once I get video cropped, I'll post links.
Old 09-01-2014, 07:58 PM
ltborg
Drifting

Default Video of my best runs during Pro Finale competition

Old 09-05-2014, 07:01 PM
ZoraC5
7th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well done, Mr. Borg
Old 09-06-2014, 02:25 AM
89BP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alignment done tonight. 1/2 tank of fuel, me in the car. Factory set ride heights, I will tinker with ride height later, for now, just getting the car ready for its first event, Sunday. My results:

Front
-2.1 Camber - maxed out passenger side, matched driver
5.1 Caster - maxed out passenger side, matched driver
0 toe (I don't like toe-out, stopped running toe-out on my 92 Z07)

Rear
-1.3 Camber - maxed out driver side, matched passenger
3/16" toe-in, 13 minutes per side

I hope with lower ride heights I can get the camber/caster numbers better.

What fuel level can a C5 be autocrossed at? Had to run the C4's at 3/4 or higher.

Congratulations on your B-Street Championship Lane.

Jeff Cawthorne

Get notified of new replies

To B-Street (BS) Corvette Build

Old 09-07-2014, 07:36 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Jeff - I've run both my C5Z and C6Z at low fuel levels (near empty) without any starvation issues.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 AM
talon95
Pro

Congrats on the win Lane. Nice meeting you and thanks for your help.

Dave G.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:51 AM
talon95
Pro

Originally Posted by acrace
Jeff - I've run both my C5Z and C6Z at low fuel levels (near empty) without any starvation issues.
On Hoosiers, I've been able to run with the "Reserve Fuel" message on the DIC without starvation, but it will starve if the "Low Fuel" message comes on. To be safe, I would run with no message on the DIC though.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: B-Street (BS) Corvette Build