Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Formula One, Just Not As Attractive As 2013

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:18 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Mercedes Megaphone Exhaust Does Not Help

Old 06-03-2014, 12:48 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Williams Formula One co-founder says series is too expensive, has taken wrong turn

Patrick Head wants less focus on hybrid technology, more on drivers and entertainment
By: GMM on June 2, 2014

Formula One's new turbo era is "far too expensive,” according to Williams co-founder and former technical boss Patrick Head. The 67-year-old Briton also told the BBC that he thinks the sport has taken a wrong turn in focusing too much on road-relevant hybrid technology.
"I think it should be more about the drivers and more about entertainment on the track," said Head. "The road-car people are doing a perfectly good job on hybrid anyway at the moment. I'm not sure that it needs Formula One to demonstrate hybrid technology."
Head thinks the main problem is the cost of the engines to the teams.
"You could produce 800 hp for [$2.7 million] a team each year. I think the teams are having to pay about 10 times that amount," said Head. "It's a very expensive way of powering Formula One cars. I think the engines are fascinating pieces of kit, but I think they are far too expensive for what they are supposed to be doing."
With a similar view is former F1 team boss Flavio Briatore, who said F1 began to turn the wrong corner due to the disproportionate influence of engineers.
"Is it realistic to design 70 different wings in one season?" he is quoted by Italy's La Stampa. "Just so these engineers can come to orgasm? Unfortunately, with the abolition of [Formula One Teams Association], a free hand was given to people with no sense of proportion."
Old 06-03-2014, 01:51 PM
Bluefire
Le Mans Master

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

I am not a fan of the "new" sound but......

I just bought tickets for this years F1 event in Austin (COTA).

Old 06-03-2014, 02:05 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Bluefire
I am not a fan of the "new" sound but......

I just bought tickets for this years F1 event in Austin (COTA).

I'm sure I'll make the event as well.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:19 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Williams Formula One co-founder says series is too expensive, has taken wrong turn

Patrick Head wants less focus on hybrid technology, more on drivers and entertainment
By: GMM on June 2, 2014

Formula One's new turbo era is "far too expensive,” according to Williams co-founder and former technical boss Patrick Head. The 67-year-old Briton also told the BBC that he thinks the sport has taken a wrong turn in focusing too much on road-relevant hybrid technology.
"I think it should be more about the drivers and more about entertainment on the track," said Head. "The road-car people are doing a perfectly good job on hybrid anyway at the moment. I'm not sure that it needs Formula One to demonstrate hybrid technology."
"You could produce 800 hp for [$2.7 million] a team each year. I think the teams are having to pay about 10 times that amount," said Head. "It's a very expensive way of powering Formula One cars. I think the engines are fascinating pieces of kit, but I think they are far too expensive for what they are supposed to be doing."
With a similar view is former F1 team boss Flavio Briatore, who said F1 began to turn the wrong corner due to the disproportionate influence of engineers.
"Is it realistic to design 70 different wings in one season?" he is quoted by Italy's La Stampa. "Just so these engineers can come to orgasm? Unfortunately, with the abolition of [Formula One Teams Association], a free hand was given to people with no sense of proportion."
The same can be said for LMP1. There are all of 9 entries at Le Mans this year.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:34 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jcsperson
The same can be said for LMP1. There are all of 9 entries at Le Mans this year.
Before my love of Corvette all I paid attention to was the Top Class. The movie "Lemans" at the local theatre starring Steve McQueen got me hooked when I was young. I don't remember the class designation at the time but I will never forget the 12 cylinder Porsche 917 with the Gulf Oil color scheme. My father is a retired ship captain for Gulf so it was even better that "my dad" worked for the company with the "baddest car" !
Old 06-05-2014, 01:00 AM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Received 266 Likes on 98 Posts

Before my love of Corvette all I paid attention to was the Top Class. The movie "Lemans" at the local theatre starring Steve McQueen got me hooked when I was young. I don't remember the class designation at the time but I will never forget the 12 cylinder Porsche 917 with the Gulf Oil color scheme. My father is a retired ship captain for Gulf so it was even better that "my dad" worked for the company with the "baddest car" !
Oh yeah. Hear, hear!

Hear!!! ... Turn up the volume for this one. I like the sound my Z06 makes but this is from another planet.

No paddle shifting. No rev matching. No safety equipment (besides seat belts ), no speedometer, etc. When men were men ^h^h^h crazy.

http://tinyurl.com/q8tnuxs (it's youtube.)

Z//
Old 06-05-2014, 11:46 AM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Just watched that again on cable, very enjoyable. Especially McQueen blocking the p4 Ferrari near the end, guess the marshalls missed that.
Old 06-06-2014, 04:22 AM
Trackaholic
Pro

Received 154 Likes on 69 Posts

Not a fan of the new F1 sound, and the typical F1 hypocrisy between the call for less expensive racing while simultaneously adding significant complexity to the power units just highlights how seemingly out of touch F1 leadership can be.

And, while there was some interesting racing early on due to the severe unreliability of many cars, we now have seemed to settle into a somewhat boring season at least from an inter-team perspective.

The lack of team orders between Hamilton and Rosberg is refreshing, and the two are closely matches so they have been carrying the season IMO (as has Ricciardo).

Also, it is fun to hear Hamilton freak out on the radio.

So, even though the engine sound is no longer as thrilling, I'll still be watching every race.

Maybe F1 should try to get BMW back in, but rather than building engines and cars, they can just play back the V8 engine sounds through the grandstand speakers.

-T

Last edited by Trackaholic; 06-06-2014 at 04:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:20 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Trackaholic
Maybe F1 should try to get BMW back in, but rather than building engines and cars, they can just play back the V8 engine sounds through the grandstand speakers.
I've been considering building a site that takes the race and stream it with 2005 broadcast noises
Old 06-06-2014, 08:31 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Comparison Video 2014 F1 vs Indycar Sounds and Engine Program Costs

Who got it right?

Old 06-06-2014, 03:09 PM
BierGut
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

"I think it should be more about the drivers and more about entertainment on the track," said Head. I'm not sure that it needs Formula One to demonstrate hybrid technology."
"You could produce 800 hp for [$2.7 million] a team each year. I think the teams are having to pay about 10 times that amount," said Head.
... says the man who watched Mercedes and Red Bull, among other, pull away and disappear. I call BS -- Patrick Head, in the above statement, described NASCAR.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

Originally Posted by BierGut
... says the man who watched Mercedes and Red Bull, among other, pull away and disappear. I call BS -- Patrick Head, in the above statement, described NASCAR.

This is the guy who hired Adrian Newey to create the wonderful FW14/B - the technological marvel of its day - the car that every other team now had to try and catch up to (and pay $$$ for the privilege.)

High-end auto racing has *always* been about engineering, manufacturers, and big bucks. F1 (and Le Mans prototypes) have never been about "everyman" racing.

To have the fraud that is Briatore suggest that F1 ought to converted into IROC is just nonsense spewed from a publicity *****.

I *do* think that F1 needs to implement some sort of a cost cap in order to prevent it from falling into the trap that high-end racing has always fallen into where the little guys can't afford to play any more and the series dies because of it. The big teams keep vetoing the idea and their failure to look out for the bigger picture is not a good omen. Hopefully, when Bernie finally exists the scene the next management team will be both smart enough and strong-fisted enough to make it happen. Otherwise...

Z//
Old 06-07-2014, 06:39 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

We're in Montreal for the GP this weekend and the sound sucks.

You can stand at track side, which I did, 10' from the track, without ear protection and hold a conversation while the cars pass you by.

We arrived early for FP1 and the entry races made up of Honda Fit's, Mini Coopers, etc were just as loud. The Safety and Medical cars were much louder than the F1 cars.

Yes they make the same power and are just as fast, or faster, but the sound was a big part of the experience. I think Formula-E will fail due to this.

Every year they say its too expensive and every year they sell out each event at very high ticket prices. IMO embrace the cost and let them put on a better show.

We have been here a few times for the GP and this year its different. The sound is gone, the fans are less excited is my read, and its not nearly as big of a deal then during the V10 era.

I now know tires on F1 cars make noise, that is what you hear when they corner, something you never ever heard before.

Ever wonder how bad a great movie would be without the music? That is how F1 is now.

BTW all that sound you hear is enhanced, they do not sound like that in person. I'm sitting on corners 1&2 and you hear them about 2 seconds before they come into sight and once they round corner 2 and are a hair out of eyesight the sound is gone. I have to watch the monitors to see when they are coming down the start/finish to anticipate when they will come into view, you cannot hear them at all.

During FP yesterday you sat in silence until the cars came into your view and left it, it was never like that before.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-07-2014 at 06:46 AM.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:30 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by NoOne
We're in Montreal for the GP this weekend and the sound sucks.

You can stand at track side, which I did, 10' from the track, without ear protection and hold a conversation while the cars pass you by.

We arrived early for FP1 and the entry races made up of Honda Fit's, Mini Coopers, etc were just as loud. The Safety and Medical cars were much louder than the F1 cars.

Yes they make the same power and are just as fast, or faster, but the sound was a big part of the experience. I think Formula-E will fail due to this.

Every year they say its too expensive and every year they sell out each event at very high ticket prices. IMO embrace the cost and let them put on a better show.

We have been here a few times for the GP and this year its different. The sound is gone, the fans are less excited is my read, and its not nearly as big of a deal then during the V10 era.

I now know tires on F1 cars make noise, that is what you hear when they corner, something you never ever heard before.

Ever wonder how bad a great movie would be without the music? That is how F1 is now.

BTW all that sound you hear is enhanced, they do not sound like that in person. I'm sitting on corners 1&2 and you hear them about 2 seconds before they come into sight and once they round corner 2 and are a hair out of eyesight the sound is gone. I have to watch the monitors to see when they are coming down the start/finish to anticipate when they will come into view, you cannot hear them at all.

During FP yesterday you sat in silence until the cars came into your view and left it, it was never like that before.
Very sad to hear the "live experience" doesn't require hearing protection and you can hear the tires? F1 was a complete overwhelming of your senses, the greatest motorsport spectacle on earth. A visceral combination of sight, sounds, and speed making it the most exclusive event to attend and. You make a great point about movies without sound. Without my 5.1 surround sound and subwoofer Saving Private Ryan is still a great movie....but without great sound it is less enjoyable. Put a 1970's sound system in movie theaters and watch the attendance drop. It's the total experience we are all after.
Old 06-07-2014, 06:55 PM
Zoxxo
Safety Car

You do realize that this is all just "preaching to the choir", right? Exchanging tales of woe with those who agree with you and doing nothing else about it is kind of sad and thoroughly pointless. Put all this energy into some action by writing to Bernie and the FIA and FOTA and the Canadian GP folks and voicing your concerns and dislikes.

In a similar vein, the rich teams have now proposed killing all of Thursday's press day and having just a single 90 minute practice session on Friday. This is to "save money" for the small teams. See "arrogance" (and that's saying something in the F1 world!)

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28207.html

Z//
Old 06-07-2014, 09:07 PM
JETninja
Melting Slicks

Received 77 Likes on 68 Posts
WA Events Coordinator

The car sounds are lacking, but they have more power and a lot more torque then before and are harder to drive. I personally love that Renault who demanded the engine change cause it was more relevant to the cars it sells, are the slowest engines out there.

Also, the noses I hope will be gone next year, its like everyone agreed to do either a Phallic or Vaginal look to the nose to spite the rules laid upon them.

Get notified of new replies

To Formula One, Just Not As Attractive As 2013

Old 06-07-2014, 09:24 PM
jcsperson
Team Owner

Received 745 Likes on 429 Posts
NC Events Coordinator

I don't get the bit about the noses. Are they as nice as the first aero cars like the Lotus 79? No. But they beat the hell out of those high-nosed cars that started around '97. Those cars were fugly beyond belief.
Old 06-07-2014, 11:49 PM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Zoxxo
You do realize that this is all just "preaching to the choir", right? Exchanging tales of woe with those who agree with you and doing nothing else about it is kind of sad and thoroughly pointless. Put all this energy into some action by writing to Bernie and the FIA and FOTA and the Canadian GP folks and voicing your concerns and dislikes.

In a similar vein, the rich teams have now proposed killing all of Thursday's press day and having just a single 90 minute practice session on Friday. This is to "save money" for the small teams. See "arrogance" (and that's saying something in the F1 world!)

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns28207.html

Z//
Bernie doesn't need convincing, he voiced his concerns from the start and writing to FIA and/or FOTA more a waste of time than writing it here. I look forward to seeing over time if event attendance or television audience drops. Truthfully I'll still watch every event from the comfort of my home but no longer spend time and money to fly to any venues just to feel like NoOne posted above..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/for...urd-farce.html

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blo...ne-cars-volume
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM
NoOne
Team Owner

Received 503 Likes on 247 Posts

Part of the problem with F1 as you remove the things that make it exciting its other flaws show up. Costs being one of them.

Fan access is an exclusivity in F1 and not really attainable. There is its own economy to an F1 race that go from the people who pay $60 to sit on the grass to those who pay upwards of $7,000 to sit in the paddock clubs.

Granted all races have that but the cost differences are smaller. We sat in decent seats and they were chosen based on our ability to take pictures rather than price and this weekend for the two of us is an easy 4,000. $950 in tickets, $1,900 in hotel, plus food/transportation, etc.

Even the people who do it on the cheaper end are paying 2,000 to sit in the cheap seats by the time is all said and done. Your expecting an experience when you go and its what we got in the V10 days here.

The city seems pretty quiet, the fans are very quiet, the cars are very quiet. So to get more of the experience you have to move up in cost and not a lot of people are willing to drop 10K on a weekend at a race when there are so many other venues which are available and provide more access. I would love to do pit access but its about 9K for both of us for the weekend...I would give it serious consideration in the V10 days but now I'm looking at something we're going to do once, is this the time I want to spend it?

COTA is insanely priced, for 20 percent more money than COTA I could go sit in one of the hotels in Monaco above the track including air fare.

We go for photography a lot. We travel to various events just for the picture experience. NHRA is most accessible, TUDOR/ALMS is second. For Road American in August we have photo passes you can buy which allow all access, track side and all.

I inquired about that with F1 and nothing like it exists, at any price. Me personally if I was going to spend 8K on a weekend I'd rather be track side for pictures than sitting in a AC booth.

I do not know if attendance will change much in the short term. People plan these trips a year in advance if not more. So it would have to remain like this for 2-3 years before they see it.

I'm trying to get some video to upload from the hotel before we leave for the track but its too slow. You would be surprised how quiet it is but here are a few pics. Weather is fantastic and the cars are pretty impressive to shoot:

Taken from our seats here

All the pics are here http://ericptek.smugmug.com You will see F1 2014 for Friday/Saturday plus some other events we've done.

Last edited by NoOne; 06-08-2014 at 10:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Formula One, Just Not As Attractive As 2013