Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HPDE 1 2 day vs 1 day

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:44 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Your turn in into turn 1 is too early, turn in a little bit later. Same for turn 2, stay out for turn 2 entry a tad longer.

Too late at turn 3, you have to turn in here AT the cone and hard, your left front tire should touch the inside rumble strip at the apex cone. You have to slow down a good bit to get the car turned in here, then get the gas on early.

Way too early into 4 stay out past the cone 3/4 of a car length and turn in.

Too early in 5, see how far you are out on track out? You are turning the wheel the whole time to stay off the rumble strips.

Too early into 6, either turn in at the cone or a tad later.

Turn 7 is good

Turn 8 is ok, a tad too early...you can fudge some here depending on where you want to enter 9.

On turn 9 you want your left front tire to touch where the rumble strip ends, you can see the pothole where it has been happening.

Turn 10, waaaay too early, hold 9 longer and then turn into 10.

Turn 11 is jumbled because of the entry into 10. When you get it right you can be on the floor in 4th gear as soon as the car is rotated for 10 and drive straight through there.

Turn 13 is good.

Turn 14, tap the brake and bleed some speed to stop the car from pushing so bad.

Turn 15, get up tighter on 14. When you turn in you want to chop the pit in blend line end off with your left front tire then go to the apex cone.

Turn 16, way too early. Go past the cone, I turn in when my left rear tire is even with the cone.

Here I am on Sunday, I have new brakes on the car and am trying to learn them. But you can see where my line is a lot different.

If you will turn in a little later where I noted it will take a lot of the push out of the car. Slow down a hair more, turn in a little later, rotate the car and get the gas cracked open...when you feel it hunker down squeeze the throttle on.

Be careful, when you start getting this right the car will be going a lot quicker into braking zones...be aware.

Never mind the quick hands drill at 16:25, I lost the battle.
Thank you very much for taking the time to analyze this for me. One of the notes my instructor my gave me was that I have a tendency to turn in (I would creep into the turns) and brake too early and you absolutely confirmed it.

T1 was a bit scary for me to brake later because I wasn't positive how my brakes would be as they were stock with xp10 front and xp8 on the rear.

I can't wait to go out again and try all of this out. I'd love to go out again as the car sits but I don't know ifnmy runflats would do as well again for a direct comparison; I'd rather not change anything about the car until I find it holding me back.

Thanks very much again and I'll get to watching your video.
Old 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Received 143 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by SEVINN
Thank you very much for taking the time to analyze this for me. One of the notes my instructor my gave me was that I have a tendency to turn in (I would creep into the turns) and brake too early and you absolutely confirmed it.

T1 was a bit scary for me to brake later because I wasn't positive how my brakes would be as they were stock with xp10 front and xp8 on the rear.

I can't wait to go out again and try all of this out. I'd love to go out again as the car sits but I don't know ifnmy runflats would do as well again for a direct comparison; I'd rather not change anything about the car until I find it holding me back.

Stay on the run flats, you will learn a ton on **** tires, trust me.

I ran $99 each Maxxis tires for my first 4-5 weekends.
Old 04-14-2014, 09:02 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by SEVINN

Here is how to get better at turn 1

Pick a spot and step on the brakes, as you do take a mental snapshot of where you are. Then look at turn one, then look back at the cone.

Then look back at turn one and turn in. Running a 140 and standing on brakes is hard on the brain, my car has wheel hop issues...just part of tracking an Fbody so I started training myself this way that weekend and it helps. I have never been able to brake at the 350 mark, I did it a few times on Sunday.
Old 04-14-2014, 11:34 PM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Here is how to get better at turn 1

Pick a spot and step on the brakes, as you do take a mental snapshot of where you are. Then look at turn one, then look back at the cone.

Then look back at turn one and turn in. Running a 140 and standing on brakes is hard on the brain, my car has wheel hop issues...just part of tracking an Fbody so I started training myself this way that weekend and it helps. I have never been able to brake at the 350 mark, I did it a few times on Sunday.
I'll give it a shot for sure and I will keep the runflats for now I guess.

After watching your video I definitely see where I could improve so thanks for that once again. I'm sorry about that fast hands exercise but it looked fun anyway.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:20 AM
rbl
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You might consider going with clubs other than NASA if you want any track time. NASA just has too much going on to really do a decent HPDE IMO. The track time is minimal and the cost is $$ compared to club events.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:13 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '14, '16

Originally Posted by rbl
You might consider going with clubs other than NASA if you want any track time. NASA just has too much going on to really do a decent HPDE IMO. The track time is minimal and the cost is $$ compared to club events.
That's a good idea thank you . I'll look into some other clubs to see what is going on around me.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:55 PM
FASTFATBOY
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by rbl

At NOLA, NASA is about the cheapest to DE with.

Go to

WWW.ClubRegistration.Net

WWW.MotorsportsReg.com

And look for events.

Also Circuit Grand Bayou in Donaldsonville has $75 lapping days once a month.

Quick Reply: HPDE 1 2 day vs 1 day