Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding pfadt shocks

Old 03-10-2014, 10:47 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Rebuilding pfadt shocks

With the loss of Pfadt racing does anyone know if anyone else is rebuilding Pfadt shocks like Performance shock in Sonoma or other notables?
Old 03-10-2014, 11:53 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Are they based on a pre-existing shock or are they completely proprietary? It seems to me if someone did some detective work we ought to be able to figure out who actually manufactured the things.
Old 03-11-2014, 01:10 AM
C 5
No Time!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

In for the results, also interested as I am in the process of buying featherlights.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:44 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The double adjustable ones use ohlins parts.

I have no idea where the parts came from for the singles.

The doubles should be rebuildable by any ohlins dealer, and spare parts should be readily available. You may be able to get the singles rebuilt by one of the companies that does shocks for various brands... the problem with the single adjustables will be with sourcing major parts if they get damaged or worn.

EDIT:

heres a thread on the pfadt shocks - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...coilovers.html

Also pfadt mentions some of the parts are proprietary such as the pistons which were their own design.
This could mean that they had them made by ohlins (best case scenario), some outside source, or they cnc'd the parts themselves...

Last edited by el es tu; 03-11-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:20 AM
BryanPendleton
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by el es tu

The doubles should be rebuildable by any ohlins dealer, and spare parts should be readily available. You may be able to get the singles rebuilt by one of the companies that does shocks for various brands... the problem with the single adjustables will be with sourcing major parts if they get damaged or worn.

EDIT:

heres a thread on the pfadt shocks - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...coilovers.html

Also pfadt mentions some of the parts are proprietary such as the pistons which were their own design.
This could mean that they had them made by ohlins (best case scenario), some outside source, or they cnc'd the parts themselves...
When I contacted Pfadt regarding the manufacturing of their adjustable dampers, I was told they make everything "in-house". In other words, they did not out source any of the internals or externals. My reason for asking was I was looking for credibility in the quality of their product, when compared with products like Penske and Bilstein. This discuss was held last year, so may not apply to their older products.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:57 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

In for updates
Old 03-11-2014, 08:28 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

REsuspension.com, ask for Jason or Dennis
Old 03-11-2014, 10:18 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I dropped my right rear Pfadt Featherlite Single Adjustable coilover off at RE Suspension here in Mooresville late yesterday. It had evidence of leaking after Barber (it was supposedly the "new" version).

They said they had never worked on this version, only the Pfadt Coilovers with the remote reservoirs. So Pfadt must have kept the rebuilds of the Featherlight SA version in house despite our suspicions. Dennis said they could get it figured out and have it back to me next week sometime.

RE bought all of Pfadts leftover parts inventory and can rebuild as long as they have parts. Good bunch to deal with, so far. And at two miles from my house, extremely convenient.

-Kevin
Old 03-11-2014, 10:47 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good to know for the future.
Old 03-11-2014, 11:39 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

The featherlite doubles are Ohlins LMJs with proprietary mounts.

Originally Posted by el es tu

EDIT:

Old 03-13-2014, 04:32 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I dropped my right rear Pfadt Featherlite Single Adjustable coilover off at RE Suspension here in Mooresville late yesterday. It had evidence of leaking after Barber (it was supposedly the "new" version).

They said they had never worked on this version, only the Pfadt Coilovers with the remote reservoirs. So Pfadt must have kept the rebuilds of the Featherlight SA version in house despite our suspicions. Dennis said they could get it figured out and have it back to me next week sometime.

RE bought all of Pfadts leftover parts inventory and can rebuild as long as they have parts. Good bunch to deal with, so far. And at two miles from my house, extremely convenient.

-Kevin

Well ladies and gentlemen, I (we) may be screwed. RE Suspension called and said that although they can disassemble my a Featherlight Single Adjustable Coilover and take the shock apart, they cannot see a way to charge it with oil and gas when putting it back together. They assume there is some proprietary tool or tooling that they have not received from Pfadt. Or may never receive. Without having everything on hand, they are not sure how it will go back together. What they are not seeing are any external charging ports.

They stopped before taking the shock completely apart and called me knowing that I have a race in a couple of weeks. The shock is not entirely empty of fluid and gas at this point, so they are going to put it back together and I will run it at Roebling in April, weeping leak and all. If I lose, this will be my excuse.

We are not sure where to go from here... I may be looking at an entirely new set. That blows because we just bought this set last summer. Which means I will be selling my good ones at a premium as everyone else's start leaking and cannot get rebuilt!!!

This sucks.

-Kevin
Old 03-13-2014, 06:14 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Well ladies and gentlemen, I (we) may be screwed. RE Suspension called and said that although they can disassemble my a Featherlight Single Adjustable Coilover and take the shock apart, they cannot see a way to charge it with oil and gas when putting it back together. They assume there is some proprietary tool or tooling that they have not received from Pfadt. Or may never receive. Without having everything on hand, they are not sure how it will go back together. What they are not seeing are any external charging ports.

They stopped before taking the shock completely apart and called me knowing that I have a race in a couple of weeks. The shock is not entirely empty of fluid and gas at this point, so they are going to put it back together and I will run it at Roebling in April, weeping leak and all. If I lose, this will be my excuse.

We are not sure where to go from here... I may be looking at an entirely new set. That blows because we just bought this set last summer. Which means I will be selling my good ones at a premium as everyone else's start leaking and cannot get rebuilt!!!

This sucks.

-Kevin
Featherlights were supposed to be licensed by GM and available thru GM Performance Parts catalog. Maybe try that & see if they have any stock.

Old 03-13-2014, 06:41 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by froggy47
Featherlights were supposed to be licensed by GM and available thru GM Performance Parts catalog. Maybe try that & see if they have any stock.

Good lead. Thanks.
Old 03-13-2014, 07:03 PM
andy3101
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't Pratt and miller put the featherlights on the c6 z06x. Maybe they can do something to help?
Old 03-18-2014, 08:58 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

This sucks.

-Kevin

UPDATE:

As for the Pfadt Featherlight Single Adjustable Coilovers...

I picked up my coilover yesterday from RE Suspension and I will put it back on the car for the Roebling Road race in April. What is going on is the Featherlight Single Adjustable coilover shocks are assembled in a pressure chamber or something and the RE Suspension guys do not have that from Pfadt. They have the tooling and whatnot, but not the pressure chamber in order to reassemble the shock and charge it with gas.

What we discussed yesterday is RE Suspension using my coilovers as a test on retrofitting in a schrader valve or an air bladder so the shocks can be rebuilt and then gas charged after assembly. After I get back from Roebling in a couple of weeks, we are going to talk about it in further detail and see what my options are.

I do want to thank David Farmer for getting in touch with Aaron Pfadt and relaying multiple messages back and forth through me to RE Suspension. Pfadt is not totally off the radar and sounds like they are trying to continue doing what is right for everyone.

If I can get a rebuild scenario on these Featherlight Single Adjustables worked out with RE Suspension, I think something can be replicated for everyone. Right now, I need the car mobile in order to get my lexan windshield installed prior to my next race.

-Kevin
Old 03-18-2014, 10:32 AM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

I do want to thank David Farmer for getting in touch with Aaron Pfadt and relaying multiple messages back and forth through me to RE Suspension. Pfadt is not totally off the radar and sounds like they are trying to continue doing what is right for everyone.

If I can get a rebuild scenario on these Featherlight Single Adjustables worked out with RE Suspension, I think something can be replicated for everyone.
This is good news. Thanks Kevin and David for working through this. I haven't installed my SA Featherlights yet but having a rebuild source was a concern in case it was needed in the future. Even if Aaron stays small and can service the racers who need it, we may have multiple options.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:06 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Can RE suspension rebuild the pfadt double adjustables or is this a universal pfadt problem?

Get notified of new replies

To Rebuilding pfadt shocks

Old 03-18-2014, 03:27 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
Can RE suspension rebuild the pfadt double adjustables or is this a universal pfadt problem?
My understanding is RE has everything to rebuild the Double Adjustables. They worked on them before Pfadt closed and will continue to service them.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:33 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Yes, the featherlite doubles are based on a common Ohlins damper and can easily be rebuilt or adjusted. no idea about the older doubles.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:36 PM
C5ZEE06
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Yes, the featherlite doubles are based on a common Ohlins damper and can easily be rebuilt or adjusted. no idea about the older doubles.
Anyone know the recommended service interval / miles for the DAs ?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rebuilding pfadt shocks