Notices
Autocrossing & Roadracing Classifieds Post your For Sale or Wanted Autocrossing & Roadracing parts here.

Which Brake compound is best for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 12:37 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

On line ordering 24/7 If you would like pre bed option please call.
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-31-2014, 06:06 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Old 04-01-2014, 09:42 AM
sevinn
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 189 Likes on 175 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14, '16

I received my pads yesterday and I'm very happy with shipping speed and service; I will order from you again when necessary!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:44 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by SEVINN
I received my pads yesterday and I'm very happy with shipping speed and service; I will order from you again when necessary!
I appreciate that.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 PM
gerald122647
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
I appreciate that.
Got mine in only two days. Good job Adam.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:58 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by gerald122647
Got mine in only two days. Good job Adam.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:13 PM
CTZoom
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Adam, I debuted my road racing C6 Z06 (640hp) car on the weekend here in Australia over the weekend. I used XP20s (AP 6 spots, 355x32mm) with a DTC70 Hawk rear stock caliper/rotor. Very happy with XP20s, but more initial bite would be appreciated. If I go up to the XP24 - what rear would you suggest? (My feel is the DTC70 I used is too hard so already want to drop a step to a DTC60 if staying with Hawk.)
Old 04-02-2014, 10:21 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by CTZoom
Hey Adam, I debuted my road racing C6 Z06 (640hp) car on the weekend here in Australia over the weekend. I used XP20s (AP 6 spots, 355x32mm) with a DTC70 Hawk rear stock caliper/rotor. Very happy with XP20s, but more initial bite would be appreciated. If I go up to the XP24 - what rear would you suggest? (My feel is the DTC70 I used is too hard so already want to drop a step to a DTC60 if staying with Hawk.)
You have way to much pad in the back. We really don't recommend going higher than XP10 in the rear. What tires are you using? Also, not to be a smart *** but Carbotech and Hawk compounds do not mix well. I feel if you stick with XP20 front and run XP10 rear you will be a lot better off.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:31 PM
CTZoom
Advanced

You have way to much pad in the back. We really don't recommend going higher than XP10 in the rear. What tires are you using? Also, not to be a smart *** but Carbotech and Hawk compounds do not mix well. I feel if you stick with XP20 front and run XP10 rear you will be a lot better off.
I run Michelin slicks. I ran what I have mate - in Australia, I can't just pop down the road and buy anything for a corvette....... Seriously, there were not that bad together - just noticeable that the rear lockup was slower than the fronts making the rear snake a little on hard braking. I've been racing for over 13 years, so I know a little. I used XP10s on the rear of my 400hp Miata. I would have though an XP12 or 16 would be better. Interested in why not the XP24? I would like more initial bite than the XP20s.....
Old 04-02-2014, 11:15 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I run Michelin slicks. I ran what I have mate - in Australia, I can't just pop down the road and buy anything for a corvette....... Seriously, there were not that bad together - just noticeable that the rear lockup was slower than the fronts making the rear snake a little on hard braking. I've been racing for over 13 years, so I know a little. I used XP10s on the rear of my 400hp Miata. I would have though an XP12 or 16 would be better. Interested in why not the XP24? I would like more initial bite than the XP20s.....

The thing is with Carbotech and Hawk, they are 2 different worlds, Hawk performs like an on/off switch which means they have that initial bite where is Carbotech has modulation built in the pad this allows you to modulate the car without upsetting the balance of the Car. When you use a product like Hawk it has that initial bite that will upset the balance of the car.

Direct from http://ctbrakes.com/about.asp below.

Our competitor’s brake pads perform like an “on/off” switch. Brake pads that perform like an "on/off" switch are upsetting the balance of the car by violently throwing all that weight forward (not to mention that you don't get any modulation with an "on/off" type of brake pad). You don't realize how much it upsets your car until you have tried Carbotech Performance Brake pads. Carbotech has almost a seven year head start on the competition when it comes to our great philosophy on release & modulation, rotor friendliness, non-corrosive dust, and an unmatched consistent bite.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:34 PM
CTZoom
Advanced

Appreciate that info - all relevant thanks. I like the Carbotechs (and I've been using Hawks via a sponsorship for many many years, just want some more info is all as to why not an XP12 rear and xp24 front.....if that will work. I race at tracks like Phillip Island and Mt Panorama here where speeds approach 300kph on the main straights and we have some big stops. thanks

The thing is with Carbotech and Hawk, they are 2 different worlds, Hawk performs like an on/off switch which means they have that initial bite where is Carbotech has modulation built in the pad this allows you to modulate the car without upsetting the balance of the Car. When you use a product like Hawk it has that initial bite that will upset the balance of the car.

Direct from http://ctbrakes.com/about.asp below.

Our competitor’s brake pads perform like an “on/off” switch. Brake pads that perform like an "on/off" switch are upsetting the balance of the car by violently throwing all that weight forward (not to mention that you don't get any modulation with an "on/off" type of brake pad). You don't realize how much it upsets your car until you have tried Carbotech Performance Brake pads. Carbotech has almost a seven year head start on the competition when it comes to our great philosophy on release & modulation, rotor friendliness, non-corrosive dust, and an unmatched consistent bite.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:58 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Appreciate that info - all relevant thanks. I like the Carbotechs (and I've been using Hawks via a sponsorship for many many years, just want some more info is all as to why not an XP12 rear and xp24 front.....if that will work. I race at tracks like Phillip Island and Mt Panorama here where speeds approach 300kph on the main straights and we have some big stops. thanks
We have not seen any better results on a corvette using more than XP10 in the rear.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:10 PM
MySR71
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

We have not seen any better results on a corvette using more than XP10 in the rear.
I agree. I have StopTech ST60's front and ST40's rear on my C5Z. I've run the XP24's on the front with both XP10's and XP12's on the rear. I normally run with XP10's on the rear but I really wanted to try XP12's. The XP12's required a bit of a change in driving style for me at corner entry. The rear end was a bit loose while trail braking. It made me trail brake a bit less. Because of this, and because the XP12's wear faster, I would agree with XP10's in the rear. Can you use XP12's? Yes. But I wouldn't recommend starting there.

A friend of mine with the same StopTech setup tried the XP24/XP12 setup and really hated it. He only lasted a couple of laps before he came in and switched back to XP10's. As a result, I now have another set of XP12's. But when I use these up, I will be going back to XP10's.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Old 04-08-2014, 08:15 PM
CTZoom
Advanced

Originally Posted by MySR71
I agree. I have StopTech ST60's front and ST40's rear on my C5Z. I've run the XP24's on the front with both XP10's and XP12's on the rear. I normally run with XP10's on the rear but I really wanted to try XP12's. The XP12's required a bit of a change in driving style for me at corner entry. The rear end was a bit loose while trail braking. It made me trail brake a bit less. Because of this, and because the XP12's wear faster, I would agree with XP10's in the rear. Can you use XP12's? Yes. But I wouldn't recommend starting there.

A friend of mine with the same StopTech setup tried the XP24/XP12 setup and really hated it. He only lasted a couple of laps before he came in and switched back to XP10's. As a result, I now have another set of XP12's. But when I use these up, I will be going back to XP10's.
Excellent - thanks
Old 04-10-2014, 03:47 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

That time of year, lets get rolling
Old 04-14-2014, 06:02 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Back to work Monday

Get notified of new replies

To Which Brake compound is best for me?

Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Old 04-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Good Friday open all day and as always 24/7 on our website.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:12 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Smarter construction.

Only Carbotech uses a proprietary Ceramic and Metallic brake construction, not the carbon and iron used in conventional brake systems. Since carbon and iron combine to form carbide, which is used in cutting tools, you can imagine what those brakes are doing to your rotors.

Carbotech Performance Brakes utilize true race compounds that are “rotor friendly,” eliminating the grabbing and locking up that keep so many drivers and race cars from performing at their peak. You want to go deep to gain those precious fractions of a second before you need to brake, and only Carbotech brakes let you do just that. In every turn, all race long.

Quick Reply: Which Brake compound is best for me?