Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

At the Roar...

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2014, 06:50 PM
dfinke23
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default At the Roar...

...and the fact that there are no Corvettes in the GTD class is criminal. BIG sin.

Those that are:
Dodge Viper
Porsche 911
Aston
Audi R8
Ferrari 458
BMW Z4

...with reports that McLaren, Lamborghini, Lotus and others will be joining by Sebring.
I cannot imagine why GM has zero interest in anyone racing a Corvette, other than them. Blows my mind.

Last edited by dfinke23; 01-04-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:21 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Not sure the C7R is a Corvette.

If you look at the 911, Audi, Ferrari, BMW, or especially the gorgeous fleet of Aston Martin Racing cars they really look like they started life as a production chassis.

Audi has really taken much of the class over with there efforts.

The C7R doesn't look like it has a single production part on it, and didn't look like a factory Chevrolet effort, looked like a well financed one off 2 car team.

Unlike the Mazda team that had engineers everywhere for the new Skyactive effort.
Attached Images  

Last edited by blkbrd69; 01-04-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:45 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blkbrd69

If you look at the 911, Audi, Ferrari, BMW, or especially the gorgeous fleet of Aston Martin Racing cars they really look like they started life as a production chassis.

The C7R doesn't look like it has a single production part on it, and didn't look like a factory Chevrolet effort, looked like a well financed one off 2 car team.

Unlike the Mazda team that had engineers everywhere for the new Skyactive effort.

Wow!
Old 01-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Here are some pictures from the Roar that I lifted from another site:

One of the DP Vettes turned a 38.x and the #4 C7R ran a 45.7.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:47 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by dfinke23
...and the fact that there are no Corvettes in the GTD class is criminal. BIG sin.

Those that are:
Dodge Viper
Porsche 911
Aston
Audi R8
Ferrari 458
BMW Z4

...with reports that McLaren, Lamborghini, Lotus and others will be joining by Sebring.
I cannot imagine why GM has zero interest in anyone racing a Corvette, other than them. Blows my mind.

Somebody here must know someone on the Corvette race team. Any idea why not?
Old 01-04-2014, 09:16 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I like how they copied the alignment rig I use on my C5....
Old 01-04-2014, 11:11 PM
acrace
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by dfinke23

Those that are:
Dodge Viper
Porsche 911
Aston
Audi R8
Ferrari 458
BMW Z4

Personal opinion . . .

GTD really doesn't get any media attention. The vast majority of media attention is in the GTLM class, with the "factory" involvement . . . not only Corvette Racing, but the Rahal Letterman BMWs, the factory Viper program, the factory Porsche program, the factory AM program. The Viper in GTD wouldn't exist but Ben Keating essentially underwrote the GT3-R program.

GM/Corvette Racing is in racing to translate their involvement into sales, and there are metrics to "justify" the investment. They track fan involvement and "walk throughs" at their display at the ALMS races, and track sales as a result of the visibility. Doug Fehan spoke at a SAE Mid-Michigan dinner function a month ago that I attended, and he commented that when GM racing programs are reviewed, Corvette Racing has always justified their investment. When all of GM's racing programs were reviewed as part of the bankruptcy reorganization, the NASCAR program was cut by approx 50%, other forms of racing essentially de-funded, but Corvette Racing was able to maintain their budget.

If the TV and print coverage started to increase for GTD, I'd think that GM would then follow. Then they should get Dempsey Racing to run Corvettes, to guarantee lots of visibility/coverage

Last edited by acrace; 01-04-2014 at 11:15 PM.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:14 PM
acrace
Drifting

Having toured the Pratt & Miller facility several times, and having seen the previous ALMS cars up close, I would respectfully disagree on both counts.
Old 01-05-2014, 07:44 AM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the C7.R is not production based, you will hear a lot of uproar, since the rules state that it must be, and the homologation book that accompanies the car must show that it is with documentation.
Old 01-05-2014, 08:27 AM
1991Z07
Safety Car

Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
If the C7.R is not production based, you will hear a lot of uproar, since the rules state that it must be, and the homologation book that accompanies the car must show that it is with documentation.

Add to that some statements by GM that the C7.R was developed side by side with the new Z06 and I think they'll find more "production" parts than people think.
Old 01-05-2014, 09:58 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TLGunman
Dave, do you have any insight what they did to allow DPs and P2s to run in the same class? Did they up the HP in the DPs and dumb down the P2s a bit (if I understand the classes correctly)?
Old 01-05-2014, 12:05 PM
jasonberkeley
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

GM wants Camaros to win in GTD (Stevenson's factory backed effort), and Corvette in GTLM.

GTD isn't eligible at LeMans, which is a critical part of Corvette's marketing program.

Corvette Racing works closely with the ACO and IMSA when developing the new car to ensure it is compliant with the rules.

Considering Corvette Racing has won the drivers and team championships the last two seasons in one of the most hotly contested sports car classes in the world against a number of factory programs, something tells me that they know what they're doing.

Last edited by jasonberkeley; 01-05-2014 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-05-2014, 12:18 PM
rustyguns
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley
GM wants Camaros to win in GTD (Stevenson's factory backed effort), and Corvette in GTLM.

GTD isn't eligible at LeMans, which is a critical part of Corvette's marketing program.

Corvette Racing works closely with the ACO and IMSA when developing the new car to ensure it is compliant with the rules.

Considering Corvette Racing has won the drivers and team championships the last two seasons in one of the most hotly contested sports car classes in the world against a number of factory programs, something tells me that they know what they're doing.
very good info! Thank You!
Old 01-05-2014, 02:00 PM
acrace
Drifting

Originally Posted by jasonberkeley

I thought that for 2014 Stevenson was not going to run in the TUDOR GT classes, and only in the Continental Sports Car Series.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:16 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Received 72 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by acrace
Having toured the Pratt & Miller facility several times, and having seen the previous ALMS cars up close, I would respectfully disagree on both counts.
Is he talking about the DP cars and not the GTLM class cars??
I think they (will) --GTLM that is--look very similar??
Old 01-05-2014, 02:19 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

Personally, I would rather see Vettes in GTD and GTLM and not DP.
Old 01-05-2014, 02:20 PM
05dsom
Melting Slicks

That's not the C7R.

Get notified of new replies

To At the Roar...

Old 01-05-2014, 02:46 PM
acrace
Drifting

Originally Posted by 05dsom
Is he talking about the DP cars and not the GTLM class cars??
I think they (will) --GTLM that is--look very similar??
My (acrace) comment (post #8) is that the ALMS cars (the GT class C5R and C6R) are production based, and as TLGunman posted, there is a homologation book that has to be submitted by the entrant documenting compliance to the rules and to interpretation of the rules as agreed upon by ACO and the manufacturer/team.

I was commenting on blkbrd69's post (post #2) that the C7R didn't look like it had a production part on it, and didn't look like a factory team.

If any of you ever have the chance to tour the Pratt & Miller facility in South Lyon, Michigan, do it. It's quite impressive, and Pratt & Miller also does a lot of other GM Motorsports work.
Old 01-05-2014, 03:23 PM
rfn026
Safety Car

Received 272 Likes on 214 Posts

Gary Pratt has built an empire with his GM money.

Richard Newton
Old 01-05-2014, 03:39 PM
acrace
Drifting

Originally Posted by rfn026
Gary Pratt has built an empire with his GM money.

Richard Newton
Opened a nice restoration shop a mile away from the race shop a couple of years ago. And also does some good ground defense work.

Last edited by acrace; 01-05-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Quick Reply: At the Roar...