Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PIC: New Bemco Track Day Car

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 10:52 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

saw the car tonight real nice work.

and damn i need to go on a diet to fit in those containment seats
Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So what hubs or spindles and brakes were used to run the 18" modern radial tires? You said earlier it had Nascar cup brakes, can you elaborate? If these cars ran modern radials, ABS, and had swinging doors, I'd be a LOT more tempted Mike's has two of the 3. I really like the Vette body like you have on yours Bosco! Mikes' is nice, yours just looks even more OEM.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:45 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
So what hubs or spindles and brakes were used to run the 18" modern radial tires? You said earlier it had Nascar cup brakes, can you elaborate? If these cars ran modern radials, ABS, and had swinging doors, I'd be a LOT more tempted Mike's has two of the 3. I really like the Vette body like you have on yours Bosco! Mikes' is nice, yours just looks even more OEM.
Mike's car, I believe has Howe hubs and spindles. Mike's car currently has
Continental radials. Doors can be made to swing but it is a pain on these type bodies with a tube frame car. I don't know of any car similar to these that has ABS and it is not needed in my view. Trans Am cars seem to brake pretty well without ABS.

My car has a stock gutted C6 body except for the roof (World Challenge type) and the hood (Howe Camaro hood cut down).

For racing Mike's is far superior to mine and looks better.

Both Mike's car and mine have big Nascar four piston calipers up front. These are of the type used on 1.5 mile tracks. The six piston cup brakes for Martinsville or Sonoma would be better but are really pricey.
The four piston type work just fine on cars that only weigh about 2400#.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 AM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I switched my ASA car over to 5x4.75" to run 18" tires. Howe makes 5x4.75" hubs and I just had to extend my suspension out for the different offsets. I struggled with the 15" tires. Just did not like the feel of those tires. Much happier running the 18" tires now...
Old 05-01-2014, 08:15 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Originally Posted by Addicted to track
I switched my ASA car over to 5x4.75" to run 18" tires. Howe makes 5x4.75" hubs and I just had to extend my suspension out for the different offsets. I struggled with the 15" tires. Just did not like the feel of those tires. Much happier running the 18" tires now...
I run 18" wheels on my "Woody" tube frame C6 with Howe 5x5 hubs. Just had CCW make up 5x5 wheels.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:14 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Addicted to track
Nice! Lap time improvements of 2-3 seconds I'm guessing?

Bosco thanks for the info!

I know that part of the allure of these cars is cheap, including tires.. But tires are everything in racing and if modern tires are better but on more durable/cheaper hubs than that is the only way id go.
Old 05-01-2014, 01:27 PM
rmj951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jerry real race cars don't have ABS! The new bias tires verses running cheap scrubs should be a wash on lap time. I do agree that a 1600 bucks of new Pzeros will be faster. I am done with spending that much on tires per weekend.

I also like the idea of wheels under 100 bucks. A CCW is 400-700 I have repaired many wheels after using too much curbing at corner exit.
Old 05-01-2014, 02:58 PM
bosco022
Drifting

Some will love the feel & forgiveness of the bias tire and I guess some won't.

But, I don't think anyway in hell a a Pirelli or Continental scrub is 2-3 seconds faster than a new 3035 or 3045 Hoosier. The bias tire is FAST, but it would not be as good for an endurance race.

The TA2 qualifying record (on 3045's) at Sebring is about a 2:10.7 by Cameron Lawrence. That is in a car with about 450 HP to the wheels. That is very similar to the lap times of the World Challenge Vette's and such at Sebring a few years ago.
Old 05-02-2014, 08:02 AM
Addicted to track
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am faster with the 18" but I think it had to do more to do with the fact I felt more confident with them than I did with the 15's. I also made a few other changes to the car at the same time so who knows if it wasn't them as well...

I never bought new 3035s or 3045's though too. I was using F45's compared to Pirelli scrubs.
Old 05-06-2014, 06:36 PM
mbeckers
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I have been traveling a lot for work lately and have not had time to think about my new toy. Ok, that's a lie. I have been thinking about how cool it will be to get it on the track once a few small issues are worked out.

After returning from The Netherlands I was able to haul the car over to DRM and spent the whole day yesterday with Doug and Todd going through the car. Doug was very impressed with the finished product from Woody and the boys at Bemco and Doug has built some killer cars. The fuel pressure issue that came up on the car's maiden voyage at Daytona was traced to a faulty regulator which was easily fixed.

After the fuel pressure problem was solved and some other minor issues were addressed the car was put on the dyno for some fine tuning. Doug did 5 dyno pulls and by the fifth one the car was putting down some respectable numbers with a conservative tune for longevity. Doug builds a nice motor.

All in all it was a great day hanging out at the DRM shop. My hats off to Doug and Todd for getting everything done in one day and sending me on my way back home. They are a class act at DRM.

I am looking forward to getting in a test day at MAM this month and then on to the NASA event at Heartland Park Topeka the last weekend of May.

If anyone out there is looking to make the next step to a full race car, you can't beat the price and quality of the cars built by Bemco.

Mike
Old 05-08-2014, 05:23 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Love your new ride, Mike. Woody will get started on my 1969 C3 racer this summer. Underneath, chassis wise it will be VERY similar to yours.
Should end up about the same weight with similar HP.

Will look much like the old Owens Corning racer

Old 05-08-2014, 02:25 PM
mbeckers
Instructor

Bosco, I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your build. It is going to be one cool car.
Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 AM
bosco022
Drifting

Sorry to hear that Mike Beckers needs to sell his beautiful Bemco C6 racer. Someone is gonna get one bad ride.

Old 12-15-2014, 09:07 AM
mbeckers
Instructor

The car is now listed in the Autocrossing and Roadracing classifieds under Bemco Fabrication C6 race car.

Quick Reply: PIC: New Bemco Track Day Car