Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ST3(2) C5Z06 Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 12:34 AM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Excellent post, thanks for sharing best of luck at the Glen
Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I didn't think the C5 PCM could have switchable tunes (other than a reflash via PC) - what is this flipchip thing?
You'll have to call Alvin, my tuner, to get the answer to that. I am not sure of the details.
Old 09-22-2013, 11:19 AM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by ZedO6
Excellent post, thanks for sharing best of luck at the Glen

Thanks!
Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
Thanks, Bill! Yeah, having bought two cars in the past 1.5 years put a hit on the racing budget for certain.

I keep telling the girls if they opt out of college (better not), then I am going to have one helluva ST1 car. LOL.
As long as Danny Popp doesn't show up, all you would need to do is add a $500 racing cam to win ST1 nationals...
Old 10-04-2013, 02:50 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

FEEDBACK on the new setup:

We hauled all the way to Watkins Glen last week for the NASA NE (vs SE) event and had an absolute blast. Beautiful area, great racers, and awesome track!

- The Wilwood W6A front kit and W4A rear kit with Carbotech RP2 pads on the 6627 backing plates performed flawlessly. I personally never complained about the stock Z06 brakes like a lot of people, but I really like the new kits. Brake pedal feel is extremely firm with zero sponginess. I was braking harder and later than ever before.

- The Pfadt Featherlight single adjustable coilovers, with upgraded springs, felt better than great. ZERO nose dive under braking, zero "float" through the apex, and no rollover on corner exit under acceleration. I actually think the coilovers did more for braking than the BBKs. With no nose dive under braking, there was far less massive weight transfer to the front and I think that helped braking more than anything else. Even though the springs are heavier for aero later and I am still running no aero, David went with the recommended settings from Pfadt and it felt great enough that I never felt the need to mess with it.

- The spherical bearings helped a LOT too. I am not sure how much of the improved feel can be attributed to the bearings and how much to the coilovers, but the car feels very responsive and easy to drive now.

After learning the track Friday morning in a couple of sessions, I started getting the hang of it and was running 2:08s by mid-afternoon. At one point late in the day coming through T9 back onto the NASCAR cut-through, I actually thought, "Damn, this thing feels FAST! Faster than it has ever felt."

I did not realize how hard I was driving the stock suspension in order to stay within sight of the rest of the C5 Mafia. I have been tracking this car since 2009 and have felt for the last two years that I was close to the limits of the car (in that setup). My laptimes over the past two years have not decreased and was always curious if it was me or if it was the car. I am now certain it was the car. During the Thunder Races on Saturday and Sunday I pushed the car harder and harder and started sliding the car on old A6s and it still felt really good. I am actually going to have to address my driving style and skill to find the limits of this new setup.

Looking forward to the next track outing on a track I know to see where it compares. If all goes well with some repairs, I will be at Carolina Motorsports Park the first weekend of November with a set of sticker A6s.

By the way, thanks to everyone that stopped by at Watkins Glen to chat!!! I wanted to spend more time talking around the paddock, but a fuel leak and an oil leak kept me busy. As well as catching up with my Canadian friends.

-Kevin

Last edited by brkntrxn; 10-04-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 03:52 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I did not realize how hard I was driving the stock suspension in order to stay within sight of the rest of the C5 Mafia. I was always curious if it was me or if it was the car. I am now certain it was the car.
So only difference was poly bushings? What else didn't you have?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:02 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
So only difference was poly bushings? What else didn't you have?

For 2013?
- poly/sphericals
- coilovers
- brake kit
- lightweight parts and weight shifting
- aero
- massive mechanical grip
- exhaust/torque
want me to keep going?

For 2011-2012?
- poly/sphericals
- brake kit
- aero
Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

For 2011-2012?
- sphericals
- brake kit
- aero
Huh? Who the heck had all that stuff?
I thought we were all on pretty much the same TTA/PTA setup other than your bushings?
BTW - that wasn't a dig. I was just curious.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:21 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

What spring rates did you go with?
Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Originally Posted by sperkins
Huh? Who the heck had all that stuff?
I thought we were all on pretty much the same TTA/PTA setup other than your bushings?
BTW - that wasn't a dig. I was just curious.

In 2012:
You, Mark, and Morris had poly. Pretty sure Rory and Ziggy had poly as well.
Morris had aero.
Rory had a brake kit.
Brian had a ducktail spoiler.

Not to mention all of the times you guys threw extra parts at your cars and ran in TTS/ST2.

No jab taken. BTW, I did vouch for you and told that guy to buy your four wheels vs my two if he was wanting a full set. I guess the fact that mine are bare and ready to ship swayed him.

Last edited by brkntrxn; 10-04-2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 08:38 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

In 2012:
You, Mark, and Morris had poly.
I don't know why I'm complaining about being busy with work and not being able to work on my car, a quick look back in the past shows the same was true in 2010. I (started) to put the Pfadt poly kit on the car after either the May CMP or Roebling event in '10. I remember because I never had time to really work on it, and for several events I'd just do a few bushings, run out of time, align it, go run.

I don't remember all the combos but I remember running Charlotte with like a poly on the rear lowers, and poly on one front lower, and the rest rubber. Even in march of '11 at RA I still don't think I had it done, I had some delrin shock bushings and some rubber

I have the crappiest C5 in the SE currently with old school PTA poly and stock exhaust still dragging around the sorry '01 motor
Old 10-06-2013, 03:56 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

A couple of hours worth of work and the following have been removed:

- OEM manifolds
- OEM midpipe with cats
- coil packs and wires
- spark plugs
- EGR/air pump hoses, brackets, and hard pipes
- alternator
- starter
- tunnel plate
- coolant temp sender

All in preparation for the Kooks Race Long Tube Headers and Mid-Pipe. Calculated savings are 28lbs, most of that in the midpipe. 3.5lbs in the egr tubes and brackets.

Old 10-06-2013, 03:57 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Weapons of War

Excellent craftsmanship

Old 10-06-2013, 03:58 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Old 10-06-2013, 04:00 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

I stopped there because I am going to replace the hard fuel line from the tank to the rail. At Watkins Glen, one of the braided clutch lines rubbed a hole in the metal fuel line and caused a leak right onto the midpipe. Came very, VERY close to going up in a ball of flame.

Here is a pic of the trackside repair:

Old 10-06-2013, 05:30 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice updates
Old 10-06-2013, 07:28 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Thanks, Jeff.

Get notified of new replies

To ST3(2) C5Z06 Build

Old 10-30-2013, 04:01 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need help. I received the boots last week, but the vent tubes weren't in the package. Today they came. I have two boots, but they sent me 6 little straws. Do I use all 6? I think I only need 4. I used tape where the axle would hold the tubes. Did I do it right? Your help would be appreciated.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:51 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

I did not buy vented boots, but what you have shown is correct in my opinion. Maybe someone else will chime in if they think differently.
Old 10-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Paul Schmidt
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some updated pics. I think I need to cut the straws to just aid the boots passage. I'll wait for some imput before assembly.

Quick Reply: ST3(2) C5Z06 Build