Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette Racing at Road America: Solid Starts for Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by TLGunman
Rumor has it, that the Viper guys now have a year of experience with the car, and have put in a lot of hours back at the shop making improvements.
Still when one car has a second plus advantage in qualifying, that does speak to them having a advantage, similar to what BMW did in 2011.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:19 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Everett Ogilvie
If NASCAR has it figured out (how to finish under green) anyone else can. It's pretty simple, either red flag the race for long enough to clean up the wreck or just have them ride around behind the pace/safety car until the wreck is cleaned up, then have a green flag finish (green/white/checker like NASCAR). I don't care if folks hate NASCAR, they have race endings figured out for the fans.
Disagree, its a 2 hour and 45 minute timed race. Just because NASCAR does it, does not mean anyone else should. IMO the way NASCAR does things will end up hurting people in the long run, green white checkers, plate racing, idiotic pit stops etc.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dvandentop
good race until the last 5 minutes wanted to see a good mosport type battle.

also anyone know what items sold for at the dan binks auction? specifically the door?
dont recall the exact but was over 4000
Old 08-12-2013, 11:29 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemans24
holy ****, wow deffinately out of my league then, what were some of the other big tickets items???

glad i got my full rear bumper cover for only $650 when i got it in 2011
Old 08-13-2013, 09:29 AM
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Auction brought $27,000 and Greg Pickett matched that amount for grand total $54,000! Dan didn't break it up for me so I don't know what individual items brought.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Disagree, its a 2 hour and 45 minute timed race. Just because NASCAR does it, does not mean anyone else should. IMO the way NASCAR does things will end up hurting people in the long run, green white checkers, plate racing, idiotic pit stops etc.
Easy there, no one suggested that road racing goes to restrictor plates or other "NASCAR things", other than figuring out how to end races with, you know - racing. I could care less that it is a timed race, the ending sucked.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:53 AM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by dvandentop
holy ****, wow deffinately out of my league then, what were some of the other big tickets items???

glad i got my full rear bumper cover for only $650 when i got it in 2011
The pit board was around 800, the rear like you had was around 700, the front around 500 IIRC.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:56 AM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Easy there, no one suggested that road racing goes to restrictor plates or other "NASCAR things", other than figuring out how to end races with, you know - racing. I could care less that it is a timed race, the ending sucked.
Didn't say that, said the way NASCAR does things. Also it was a live broadcast, it would've forced ABC to go over or end coverage. It would have been a long yellow flag and some including both Corvettes would've likely needed to pit for fuel, same with Viper.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:57 PM
Rob31
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The ending was anti climatic . would have been nice to see a race at the end .
Viper got in front and kept that same distance for a half hour .I figured they were saving gas / could put distance on the Vettes at will .
Rain wasn't too bad
Who had the Very Heathy Blue C4 on the parade lap ??
Old 08-13-2013, 10:00 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Still when one car has a second plus advantage in qualifying, that does speak to them having a advantage, similar to what BMW did in 2011.
Advantage came from working on the car, not from changes given to us by the ALMS/ACO/IMSA.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:10 AM
Donny Brass
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 132 Likes on 74 Posts
C2 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist

I don't hink you are going to convince anyone that an extra 150 plus cubic inches does not help on a long track........ the Vipers ate the Vettes lunch in the staight aways...

unless you have dyno sheets showing the horse power and torque are identical between the 335 and the 488, they are not even close to being the 'equal'

enjoy the win, build a motor that meets the rule, get BMW to actually build the car they are racing in a production class, and get back to us about how much work the SRT team has done.
Old 08-14-2013, 11:53 AM
Everett Ogilvie
Melting Slicks

Advantage came from working on the car, not from changes given to us by the ALMS/ACO/IMSA.
I think you guys are doing something sneaky, like making the car more slippery, or maybe a hidden NOS bottle somewhere......
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Donny Brass
I don't hink you are going to convince anyone that an extra 150 plus cubic inches does not help on a long track........ the Vipers ate the Vettes lunch in the staight aways...
Look at the times at Lemans, that is a long track, and it was obvious the Viper lacked top end.

That said, now that we've worked on the car, and made it better, it would not surprise me at all if the ALMS changed the BoP for us, if the Viper's start to dominate.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:06 PM
TLGunman
Le Mans Master

I think you guys are doing something sneaky, like making the car more slippery, or maybe a hidden NOS bottle somewhere......
We added more stickers to the car, and everyone knows they add 5-10 hp each.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:19 PM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '12

Look at the times at Lemans, that is a long track, and it was obvious the Viper lacked top end.

That said, now that we've worked on the car, and made it better, it would not surprise me at all if the ALMS changed the BoP for us, if the Viper's start to dominate.
I think we can all agree that unless you had a Aston Martin or a 991 Porsche, you didn't have the speed to compete at all, this goes for Corvette, Ferrari and Viper... It will never be admitted but its just to ironic that the fastest GT cars were celebrating big milestones (AM 100 years-Porsche 911, 50 years)

Im not saying it was not hard work but IMO Le Mans is a terrible example to use.

Last edited by KBow_Photo; 08-18-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Quick Reply: Corvette Racing at Road America: Solid Starts for Corvettes