Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Video and Data Results - Harry's Laptimer for iPhone

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 11:23 AM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Harry's Lap Timer with a high quality external GPS should be good to about 1/10th of a second.
My testing has shown that with a 5Hz GPS it is never more than 3 hundredth's (.03) of a second off of the transponder.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Harry's Lap Timer with a high quality external GPS should be good to about 1/10th of a second.
In my experience, it's much better than that with an external GPS. More on the order of within .02 or .03 seconds as compared to an AMB transponder. I suppose it all depends on conditions at the time of the comparison though.

Either way it's an awesome way to collect data and video for not a lot of money.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Ludedude
Racer

Hah! Geerookie beat me to it
Old 06-16-2013, 12:15 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Ludedude
In my experience, it's much better than that with an external GPS. More on the order of within .02 or .03 seconds as compared to an AMB transponder. I suppose it all depends on conditions at the time of the comparison though.

Either way it's an awesome way to collect data and video for not a lot of money.
Agreed. Hard to be a $20 app with a $100 GPS for that kind of accuracy.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:30 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

What's the recommendation for the OBD II plugin? Also, I'm confused on the versions of Harry's Lap Timer. There seems to be three different versions with the "Petrohead" version being the best for the iPhone 5. Is that correct?

Jim
Old 07-17-2013, 05:24 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I use the Petrolhead version and that is the best for general 4S - 5S versions of the phone. The Pro version has a bunch of features I did not want. The Harry's website has the info on the OBD bluetooth plug in, don't remember the manufacturers name.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 AM
waddisme
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts

I use the Go Pro BT1 which works well with Harry's with Iphone5. Here is a test overlay I did with one of my laps to see how the overlay would work. Ignore the g - meter as I did not let the phone re-orient itself when I started.

Also, the BT1 comes in handy when diagnosing some issues. For $80 it works pretty good for scanning codes on all your vehicles. I am just waiting for other apps that will use the OBDII data from it for other data logging (like oil pressures during a lap). HTH.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:48 AM
jbondfl
Melting Slicks

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14

Originally Posted by WaFp
.........The app worked great, except for the fastest session I had where it only recorded two laps, didn't record about four of my fastest laps and I have a theory why. After I was done with the session I pulled back into the paddock and noticed that I had an email notification on the screen. The email arrived at the same time I lost some lap data/video. Not sure if that was the problem, but I wasn't looking at my phone (properly mounted, btw) while I was driving.

Next track day I'll put the phone on "Do Not Disturb" before doing the sessions and see if that fixes the problem.

That's funny right there... Actually, during my 2nd HPDE my phone rang (I've been using Track Addict but am considering Harry's now),,,,,, MOM calling.... I asked my instructor if I should answer it. We laughed about it later.. That also stopped my recording.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:45 AM
folsomlarry
Melting Slicks

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

On an open cockpit car with just a windscreen, I would assume you would just mount it down on the dash and forget about the video or is there a good mount for a roll bar that would protect the phone?
Old 08-01-2013, 11:30 PM
randomus
Instructor

TrackAddict is another app for the iPhone that does most of what Harry's does and a few things it doesn't for $7.99.

I find it much easier to use and it renders everything immediately if you use the phone for video.

It's written by the same guys who write RaceRender.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:57 AM
2004CorvetteZ06
Advanced

Harry's Lap Timer Pro: $20
Dual Electronics XGPS150: ~$100
GoPoint BT1 OBDII: ~$100
Ram Mount: ~$30-45?
iPhone 5:

Brainerd International Raceway (BIR) Brainerd, MN
Competition (Short) Course
Suburban Corvettes of Minnesota Drivers School and Lapping Day.

Last edited by 2004CorvetteZ06; 08-02-2013 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Video Embedding
Old 08-23-2013, 03:01 PM
jlutherva
Drifting

OK, I got the iPhone 5, Harry's Lap Timer Pro, the Kiwi PLX OBDII device and the $20 mount and I'm trying to get this set up for Monday/Tuesday at VIR.

I've entered the IP address, Subnet and router info into the iPhone 5, but the phone doesn't seem to save that info. In the Wi-Fi bar, the phone shows the selection of the PLXKiwi2 network and shows the signal icon but in the iPhone status bar, there's no signal icon.

When I go back into Settings and Wi-Fi, the IP, Subnet and router fields are blank.....

Thoughts?

Jim
Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 AM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

Are you sure that the device transmits data via WIFI ?? Most of the OBDII devices are BLUETOOTH not WIFI. Turn on the BT reception on the iPhone in the settings area. Start the car so the OBD device is powered. Let the phone do a BT discovery and tap on the device. You should link and Harrys will pick up and display the data.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:45 AM
jlutherva
Drifting

Originally Posted by CHJ In Virginia
Are you sure that the device transmits data via WIFI ?? Most of the OBDII devices are BLUETOOTH not WIFI. Turn on the BT reception on the iPhone in the settings area. Start the car so the OBD device is powered. Let the phone do a BT discovery and tap on the device. You should link and Harrys will pick up and display the data.
No, this is WiFi, not Bluetooth, not even a Bluetooth option. I've got enough other things to worry with the new car, so I figure this out later.
Thanks anyway!

Jim
Old 08-25-2013, 04:37 PM
Evolution-ary
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by randomus
TrackAddict is another app for the iPhone that does most of what Harry's does and a few things it doesn't for $7.99.

I find it much easier to use and it renders everything immediately if you use the phone for video.

It's written by the same guys who write RaceRender.
I've used both a few times, and starting to like TA for it's ease of use with Race Render (now finally available for MAC, in Beta form)... RR is easy to use for multiple cameras, and more info available on the overlay (I believe) ... Honestly haven't used either one enough to fully compare, but I prefer other cameras for the view instead of the phone. Takes some time editing, but, the time investment is worth it for me.

Haven't really dove into the differences in Apps with the data acq. either, so can't comment there. Mostly using it at this stage for the entertainment value ... But both are darn cool for the price!
Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM
nextchapt
Heel & Toe

Default Do you run out of memory?

[QUOTE=2004CorvetteZ06;1584565455]Harry's Lap Timer Pro: $20
iPhone 5:

I've read elsewhere that you can quickly run out of space when taking video. Have you had problems with that. I'm considering trying it with a media share device to get more memory. Does anyone have experience with that?
Old 07-27-2014, 04:26 PM
CHJ In Virginia
Safety Car

More memory in the phone is always better. You can adjust the video resolution from low to full HD if you want. I used a mid level setting and could get a full 30 minute session recording with more than acceptable video quality. If you need more memory, see what junk and apps that you can delete from the phone. I had a large amount of music on mine and quickly ran out of space. Deleted a lot of what I did not listen to regularly and had more than enough space.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 PM
2004CorvetteZ06
Advanced

[QUOTE=nextchapt;1587455733]
Originally Posted by 2004CorvetteZ06
Harry's Lap Timer Pro: $20
iPhone 5:

I've read elsewhere that you can quickly run out of space when taking video. Have you had problems with that. I'm considering trying it with a media share device to get more memory. Does anyone have experience with that?

I run it on full HD, and bought the 32 gig iphone 5 so I'd have enough room. I can fit six or more 20-30 minute sessions from a Trackday on the iPhone's 32 gigs. Then I transfer it all off, and load my music, apps, etc back on. The 16 gig probably would run out of space on full HD before the end of a Trackday.

Quick Reply: Video and Data Results - Harry's Laptimer for iPhone