Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing DRM Rack bushing - Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 11:08 AM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

Default Installing DRM Rack bushing - Help

I was installing the aluminum bushing into a new rack (off the car) and heard a clinking sound when lightly tapping the metal bushing parts in with a rubber mallet. I am not familiar with how steering racks are internally, but would like to know if this potentially could have caused a screw up to the rack or if the rack could have been messed up allowing for that clinking to occur (this a remanufactured rack that I am replacing my current one with).

As always thank you!

Old 06-10-2013, 01:33 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you screwed up a rack installing a our bushing there is something wrong with the rack. Try to figure out where the sound is coming from.

Randy
Old 06-10-2013, 01:36 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Steering racks are pretty solid parts. You probably did not do any damage. I have a video on pulling a rack that might help you. Link in my sig below. Search my channel.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:46 PM
el es tu
Safety Car

Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

The bushing was installed into the new rack without any issues (other than the noise) but I just wanted to be sure that the clinking coming from inside wasnt a sign of a messed up part.

Im just paranoid because the original rack was making a clacking noise on any hard steering inputs and I will go nuts if this replacement doesnt work.

Randy - I couldnt tell exactly where the noise was coming from in the rack and I didnt want to keep hitting it with the mallet to find out. The noise had nothing to do with your product but rather the method I used to install it, or possibly the condition of the "new" steering rack.

Old 06-10-2013, 04:23 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by el es tu
The bushing was installed into the new rack without any issues (other than the noise) but I just wanted to be sure that the clinking coming from inside wasnt a sign of a messed up part.

Im just paranoid because the original rack was making a clacking noise on any hard steering inputs and I will go nuts if this replacement doesnt work.

Randy - I couldnt tell exactly where the noise was coming from in the rack and I didnt want to keep hitting it with the mallet to find out. The noise had nothing to do with your product but rather the method I used to install it, or possibly the condition of the "new" steering rack.

There should not be any clink, clank or other noise that comes from a proper functioning rack.

Old 06-10-2013, 09:56 PM
0Randy@DRM
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Could have been a bell effect in the rack tube? Don't have to hit a bell very hard to make a big sound.

Randy

Get notified of new replies

To Installing DRM Rack bushing - Help

Quick Reply: Installing DRM Rack bushing - Help