Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hotter than I'd like. Any ideas for a solution?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 02:18 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Default Hotter than I'd like. Any ideas for a solution?

Max temps on the track for oil, coolant and especially the tranny are now higher than they were before I installed the DeWitt's radiator with the integrated EOC and trans cooler. Before / after max temps were / are:
Oil = 290 / 298
Coolant = 219 / 240
Tranny = 268 / 261. Tranny is lower but the after # = temp after adding a B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler. Without the cooler, tranny was 20 degrees higher.

On the street, all run much cooler than before. The oil and coolant ~ 20 - 25 degrees and the tranny about 50.

Oil is Amsoil ZROD 10w30, was M1 5w - 30
Coolant has 1 bottle of Water wetter vs. none before
Trans fluid is also Amsoil, their ATF vs. stock fluid before

Going to go to a mid-sesision cool down lap for next event but don't want that to be the long-term solution. Any ideas on what to try next?
Old 05-20-2013, 02:38 PM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Max temps on the track for oil, coolant and especially the tranny are now higher than they were before I installed the DeWitt's radiator with the integrated EOC and trans cooler. Before / after max temps were / are:
Oil = 290 / 298
Coolant = 219 / 240
Tranny = 268 / 261. Tranny is lower but the after # = temp after adding a B&M Hi-Tek trans cooler. Without the cooler, tranny was 20 degrees higher.

On the street, all run much cooler than before. The oil and coolant ~ 20 - 25 degrees and the tranny about 50.

Going to go to a mid-sesision cool down lap for next event but don't want that to be the long-term solution. Any ideas on what to try next?
Looks like you have an A6, I'm running pretty much the same with two exceptions I have a Z06 stand alone cooler, and an additional Big trans cooler. so far my temps have topped out at 208 coolant, 220 oil and trans about 190. I'm not using the Dewitts EOC just the trans cooler then an additional cooler after (biggest that would fit)
so I'd go for the stand alone cooler (EOC) and add more trans cooling. that will probably do it
Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Oil = 290 / 298
Coolant = 219 / 240

Subscribe,

That does not make sense does it? Keep us posted. I would call DeWitt and go over it with him, sounds like something not right.

How are fans setup? Stock on/off temps?
Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Unfortunately, I haven't kept up with stock cooling on all the C6 versions. What was your stock setup? It is possible that the coolant is seeing increased temp because of the load from the oil and tranny and the oil and tranny temps are in turn raised by the coolant temp as it is their heat sink. On my SCCA T2 car, I have DRM racing radiator, external oil and tranny coolers so none are tied to each other. Works well on the track, almost impossible to heat the oil on the street.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 05-20-2013, 11:27 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
Looks like you have an A6, I'm running pretty much the same with two exceptions I have a Z06 stand alone cooler, and an additional Big trans cooler. so far my temps have topped out at 208 coolant, 220 oil and trans about 190. I'm not using the Dewitts EOC just the trans cooler then an additional cooler after (biggest that would fit)
so I'd go for the stand alone cooler (EOC) and add more trans cooling. that will probably do it
Can you tell us about your trans cooler setup. Is it in front of the radiator? behind a front screen? in the rear of the car? Cooler size? I got a friend who wants to track an A6 but tranny temps are an issue. It would be great to not have to reinvent the wheel if you got yours dialed in. Thanks for the help!
Old 05-21-2013, 05:57 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

My cooler A6 is plumbed in series with the Dewitts fluid flow is into the radiator then into the aftermarket and back to the trans. I went to AA auto and bought the biggest one they had, It said it was good for 26,000 lbs motor home. it is mounted on the Air condenser. I also have a debris screen tiewrapped to the back side of the stock grill. the car has a trans tune by COW (huge difference) and one more piece a fined trans pan with a drain plug That didn't seem to change temps but it is nice for fluid changes. HTH feel free to ask if i can help any more
Old 05-21-2013, 09:17 AM
NemesisC5
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 331 Likes on 241 Posts

Too much heat load in the radiator for hot laps on a track.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:14 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by froggy47
Subscribe,

That does not make sense does it? Keep us posted. I would call DeWitt and go over it with him, sounds like something not right.

How are fans setup? Stock on/off temps?
I will. I called DeWitt last year when the trans temps went up 20 degrees after the install (oil and coolant went down 15 - 20) but didn't get anything that helped. I have another call in now at your suggestion so I'll see.

160 stat with tune to accommodate it and Calloway intake.

I am thinking it may be the tune. I have switched back and forth between stock, a CoW tune and another tuner. Switched several times so not sure what was in when. Will see if I have the records.

My cooler A6 is plumbed in series with the Dewitts fluid flow is into the radiator then into the aftermarket and back to the trans. I went to AA auto and bought the biggest one they had, It said it was good for 26,000 lbs motor home. it is mounted on the Air condenser. I also have a debris screen tiewrapped to the back side of the stock grill. the car has a trans tune by COW (huge difference) and one more piece a fined trans pan with a drain plug That didn't seem to change temps but it is nice for fluid changes. HTH feel free to ask if i can help any more
I do have a trans cooler, a B&M Hi-Tek Automatic Transmission Cooler that is 10″x7-1/2″x4″ with 7″ diameter fan. Plumbed the same as yours. Location is tucked into passenger side wheel well where it gets some air but with fan, huge amount of air flow is not necessary. Either way, oil and coolant are too hot so trans cooler location not likely the issue.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 05-23-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:25 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Too much heat load in the radiator for hot laps on a track.
Yeah, I missed it that you have an auto tranny. Putting the heat from the engine coolant and the oil and the tranny may be just asking too much of one radiator.

It would handle it on the street, but maybe not on the track.

Maybe a big azz spal fan? I have heard moves more air than the 2 stock ones.

Vented hood?

Vendor should really advise that triple cooling needs to be backed up by additional mods.

Course "real" track cars have all separated radiators for each.

Building them into one radiator is a compromise situation.

Maybe close out the tranny fluid going into the radiator & just rely on the external B&M and see what happens.

Keep us posted.

Last edited by froggy47; 05-21-2013 at 01:38 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:31 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Yeah, I missed it that you have an auto tranny. Putting the heat from the engine coolant and the oil and the tranny may be just asking too much of one radiator. It would handle it on the street, but maybe not on the track.

Maybe a big azz spal fan? I have heard moves more air than the 2 stock ones.

Vented hood?

Vendor should really advise that triple cooling needs to be backed up by additional mods.

Course "real" track cars have all separated radiators for each. Building them into one radiator is a compromise situation. Maybe close out the tranny fluid going into the radiator & just rely on the external B&M and see what happens.

Keep us posted.

I kicked the tires on the fan idea but rightly or wrongly concluded @ speed the fan is not much help. Might be good @ cooling things down more quickly but that doesn't seem to be the issue. Temps revert back to reasonable levels with and without the rad and cooler. Fan would be effective on the street @ lower speed but those are fine.

I like the vented hood idea. Halltech makes a beauty. The downside is the price, $3.5k to $4k after painting. Was hoping for something more reasonable.

Will think about closing out the tranny fluid going into the radiator. thanks for the idea. Keep 'em coming.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 05-23-2013 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:01 PM
froggy47
Race Director

I would do more research on the spal fan. The "common sense" idea that a radiator gets plenty of air at high speed may not be 100% true on any specific car.

For example I know that the air dam on stock c5 Vettes tends to bend out of normal position at high speeds & spoils the "planned" flow of air thru the radiator.

Some guys brace the air dam so it can't move at all on track.

The bigger fan overcomes this simply by sucking more air thru the radiator regardless of the dam position.

The stock hood blocking flow has always been well known, fixed on the c7 I heard.

Old 06-03-2013, 02:05 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Update:
Kept an eye on the oil pressure @ Lime Rock last week. Pressure was in high 30s in 3rd gear @ about 110mph @ ~ 5.2k rpm. Oil temps got to 290 - 298 within 9 - 12 minutes each session. 1 1/2 to 2 cool down laps got temps down to 273 - 280.
On the highway: pressure went lower as oil temps got higher. High 50s with oil below 200 degrees high 40s with temps about 240.
Start-up pressure: 38 - 41.

Last edited by TKOGTO; 06-05-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: 12 - 15 to 9 - 12 after re-reading data
Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Update:
Kept an eye on the oil pressure @ Lime Rock last week. Pressure was in high 30s in 3rd gear @ about 110mph @ ~ 5.2k rpm. Oil temps got to 290 - 298 within 12 - 15 minutes each session. 1 1/2 to 2 cool down laps got temps down to 273 - 280.
On the highway: pressure went lower as oil temps got higher. High 50s with oil below 200 degrees high 40s with temps about 240.
Too much heat going into the radiator, you could probably get away with the set up a couple of times a year if you back off when the temps get up there. More than that you need more external radiator cooling IMO. Or more fan.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:12 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update:
Kept an eye on the oil pressure @ Lime Rock last week. Pressure was in high 30s in 3rd gear @ about 110mph @ ~ 5.2k rpm. Oil temps got to 290 - 298 within 12 - 15 minutes each session. 1 1/2 to 2 cool down laps got temps down to 273 - 280.
Sounds like you're losing #3/4 rod bearings.

Oil pressure is low for what I have seen from a C6 at 5.2k RPM.
Running Amsoil 10w-30 with oil temps at 280 we would see 50+ no problem at those kinds of RPM.
Old 06-03-2013, 03:48 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Originally Posted by geerookie
Sounds like you're losing #3/4 rod bearings.

Oil pressure is low for what I have seen from a C6 at 5.2k RPM.
Running Amsoil 10w-30 with oil temps at 280 we would see 50+ no problem at those kinds of RPM.
If that's what you sense then he should take a sample & lab test it, yes?

I would.

Old 06-03-2013, 06:16 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

OP: I have an A6 and was wondering if you are using the paddles a lot, as that may increase the trans temps.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 PM
geerookie
Drifting

I would.

or pull the pan. You will be able to see the bluing before the bearing completely fails.

Get notified of new replies

To Hotter than I'd like. Any ideas for a solution?

Old 06-04-2013, 12:22 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

I would.

Rec'd the Blackstone kit yesterday. Will send out tomorrow.

Originally Posted by Gering
OP: I have an A6 and was wondering if you are using the paddles a lot, as that may increase the trans temps.
Not much at all. In 3rd gear for all of the lap with exception of switch into and out of 4th for the main straight. In 4th for ~ 5 - 6 seconds.

or pull the pan. You will be able to see the bluing before the bearing completely fails.
Apologies for ignorance but bluing where?
Old 06-04-2013, 06:41 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Apologies for ignorance but bluing where?
You will see it on the edges of the main cap from the extra heat due to a degrading bearing surface.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:16 PM
froggy47
Race Director

You will see it on the edges of the main cap from the extra heat due to a degrading bearing surface.
So you can see the edges without pulling the cap off?

Quick Reply: Hotter than I'd like. Any ideas for a solution?