Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 prep for track days

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 07:59 PM
lathrash
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default C6 prep for track days

I recently bought a 2008 C6 w/ the Z51 package. It is my primary car, but I am slowly working on getting it prepped to do track days with it. This will be my first time at the track. I have done mostly routine maintenance so far and wanted to get some input on what I am looking at for future purchases.

The tires that came with the car are Michelin Pilot Sport A/S run flats up front and the OEM Goodyear F1 run flats in the rear. The rears have some life left and the fronts are nearly new. I don't like the idea of running around the track in mismatched tires, so I was thinking of buying a second set of wheels to use with track tires. This way I can also use my run flats for everyday driving and not kill my track tires while commuting.

So far I have done the following...
- new engine oil and filter (Mobil 1 5W-30)
- new transmission fluid (Redline D4 ATF)
- new diff fluid (Dextron LS 75W-90)
- new sway bar end links (they were making noise)
- new sway bar bushings
- new clutch fluid (Prestone DOT 4)
- ordered Raybestos ST-43 brake pads (for track use only)

Here is a list of my to-do items...
- flush brake fluid (i have Motul 600 brake fluid)
- purchase SS brake lines
- purchase brake rotors for track use only
- purchase tires
- purchase second set of wheels for new tires
- replace (slow) leaking power steering hose
- purchase tow hooks
- get an alignment (Pfadt street performance specs)

A few questions and things I would like recommendations on...
- should I have the ABS unit pumped? or is a standard flush ok?
- SS brake line recommendations? (Goodridge? StopTech? DRM? Spiegler?)
- inexpensive track rotor recommendations? (Napa premiums?)
- track/summer tire recommendations? (Michelin Pilot Super Sport?)
- do I need tow hooks? (if so, is Pfadt the way to go?)
- should I install a catch can?

What else am I'm missing??? Any other recommendations or suggestions???
Old 04-25-2013, 08:39 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Definitely read the sticky at the top of the road racing section. C5 track car conversion I believe the title is - all your questions will be answered.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:53 PM
blkbrd69
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
Definitely read the sticky at the top of the road racing section. C5 track car conversion I believe the title is - all your questions will be answered.
+1
Old 04-25-2013, 08:58 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Wow!!! Very good list of stuff, but WAAAAYYYY overkill for your first several track events.

Nothing the matter with doing everything on your list, but the only thing I'd really recommend for an owner's first couple track events is DOT 4 brake fluid.

And - make sure your helmet is SA2005 or SA2010 certified.

I have a Rage R3 head-n-neck restraint that works with the OE shoulder harness seat belt - I'd be more concerned about safety stuff before a lot of that other stuff.

SS brake hoses - I wouldn't bother.

Rotors - I have a Z06, so I may not know what I'm talking about here, but I don't think there any cheap alternatives in the Z51 sizes. The NAPA ones you mentioned are, I think, only available in C5/base C6 size. I believe many Z51 owners get the base brackets so they can use the cheaper blanks in C5/base C6 size. Butt....maybe that's from the early days of the C6, and maybe Z51 size are readily available now - I dunno!?!?

Tires - any street tires will be good for learning the stuff you'll be concentrating on during your first several events. I just bought a set of Michelin PSS tires and ran them at an event 2 weeks ago, and they are a VERY good street/track tire!!

You mention getting a 2nd set of wheels and tires - don't forget tire pressure sensors, and you'll want a TPMS tool to reset your sensors when you swap sets of wheels/tires/sensors.

Tow hooks - you don't need them. Get them if you want them, but absolutely not necessary until you start doing club racing, time trials, etc. At that point you'll want a cage, you'll need a fire suit, fire extinguisher, and all kinds of additional stuff.

ABS - I just flush in fresh fluid and go to the track. You can flush in your new Motul, go out and do some ABS stops, and that will get some of the old fluid out of the ABS circuits and some new MOTUL in. Then you can flush your system again to get rid of the old stuff that came out of your ABS. I never have worried about it - I get into the ABS at the track and next time I flush before the next event I'm happy that I've got good fluid throughout.

That's a great list of stuff to work on over time, but your first couple events are going to be learning a whole lot of stuff before you will start driving 10/10ths and need most of that stuff.

Just MHO!!

Most important thing is to have an open mind to better learn the overwhelming amount of stuff that will be thrown at you. I hope they will have some good classroom sessions.

Bob
Old 04-25-2013, 11:49 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Add the extra quart of oil per the owners manual. I never drained it, I just gently warmed up the oil around town as I normally did to get the oil temp up and pressure down. Enjoy! I ran an '08 Z51 at track days for about 3 years and it was a blast.
Old 04-26-2013, 03:31 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny that my fist track day was on a set of PS2s in the front and Goodyears in the rear. In fact, I still have that setup on the street (not on purpose, just always seems to work out that way).

I would agree that outside of a brake flush, you're ready to go for your first few days. The rest of the stuff will come in time. Note that cooling will make it to your list shortly.

I see you're in upland. Where are you going to do your first track day? Are you coming out to a Corvette Challenge Event? If not, you should. Check out the threads in the SoCal forum. Plenty of cool people to talk with about your setup and help you out at your first few days. Let me know if you're going to make it to a CC event. You'll have a blast!

Kevin
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM
lathrash
Instructor

Originally Posted by StreetSpeed
I did read that sticky. There was some good information in there.

Originally Posted by BEZ06
Wow!!! Very good list of stuff, but WAAAAYYYY overkill for your first several track events.

Nothing the matter with doing everything on your list, but the only thing I'd really recommend for an owner's first couple track events is DOT 4 brake fluid.

And - make sure your helmet is SA2005 or SA2010 certified.

I have a Rage R3 head-n-neck restraint that works with the OE shoulder harness seat belt - I'd be more concerned about safety stuff before a lot of that other stuff.

SS brake hoses - I wouldn't bother.

Rotors - I have a Z06, so I may not know what I'm talking about here, but I don't think there any cheap alternatives in the Z51 sizes. The NAPA ones you mentioned are, I think, only available in C5/base C6 size. I believe many Z51 owners get the base brackets so they can use the cheaper blanks in C5/base C6 size. Butt....maybe that's from the early days of the C6, and maybe Z51 size are readily available now - I dunno!?!?

Tires - any street tires will be good for learning the stuff you'll be concentrating on during your first several events. I just bought a set of Michelin PSS tires and ran them at an event 2 weeks ago, and they are a VERY good street/track tire!!

You mention getting a 2nd set of wheels and tires - don't forget tire pressure sensors, and you'll want a TPMS tool to reset your sensors when you swap sets of wheels/tires/sensors.

Tow hooks - you don't need them. Get them if you want them, but absolutely not necessary until you start doing club racing, time trials, etc. At that point you'll want a cage, you'll need a fire suit, fire extinguisher, and all kinds of additional stuff.

ABS - I just flush in fresh fluid and go to the track. You can flush in your new Motul, go out and do some ABS stops, and that will get some of the old fluid out of the ABS circuits and some new MOTUL in. Then you can flush your system again to get rid of the old stuff that came out of your ABS. I never have worried about it - I get into the ABS at the track and next time I flush before the next event I'm happy that I've got good fluid throughout.

That's a great list of stuff to work on over time, but your first couple events are going to be learning a whole lot of stuff before you will start driving 10/10ths and need most of that stuff.

Just MHO!!

Most important thing is to have an open mind to better learn the overwhelming amount of stuff that will be thrown at you. I hope they will have some good classroom sessions.

Bob
Thanks for the reply. I will just plan on flushing my brake fluid and swapping over to track pads/rotors. I can't run my stock brakes because they are too worn for track use and need to be replaced soon. I have a helmet, but it is M2005 certified, not SA2005. I guess I'll have to get a new helmet.

Originally Posted by QUIKAG
Add the extra quart of oil per the owners manual. I never drained it, I just gently warmed up the oil around town as I normally did to get the oil temp up and pressure down. Enjoy! I ran an '08 Z51 at track days for about 3 years and it was a blast.
10-4. I'll make sure I add the extra oil for the track.

Originally Posted by Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Funny that my fist track day was on a set of PS2s in the front and Goodyears in the rear. In fact, I still have that setup on the street (not on purpose, just always seems to work out that way).

I would agree that outside of a brake flush, you're ready to go for your first few days. The rest of the stuff will come in time. Note that cooling will make it to your list shortly.

I see you're in upland. Where are you going to do your first track day? Are you coming out to a Corvette Challenge Event? If not, you should. Check out the threads in the SoCal forum. Plenty of cool people to talk with about your setup and help you out at your first few days. Let me know if you're going to make it to a CC event. You'll have a blast!

Kevin
It's good to hear you ran the same tires. I guess I'll run these until they are gone and then upgrade to something better. What cooling upgrades did you do? I've been reading that I will probably want to upgrade my oil cooler at some point.

I don't know what my first track day will be. I haven't signed up for anything yet, but I did see that Corvette Challenge. I won't be able to make it to the one coming up on May 12th, but i hope I can make it to the one on June 1st and/or June 29th.
Old 04-26-2013, 12:23 PM
boltvette
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

You're going to find out that no matter how tightly you cinch down the belts, you're going to slide on your seat through the turns. The outsides of your knees will get bruised and your legs will get tired from having to brace yourself. Look into getting a set of Angel Pads. They'll keep your butt planted in your seat.

We're at Chuckwalla Valley next Saturday (5/4) if you want to try them out. You can register for the event at Extreme Speed Track Events. We're also going to Sonoma, Laguna Seca and Streets of Willow next month. Send me a PM for details. We can get you a discount on the registration fees.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:43 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Originally Posted by boltvette
You're going to find out that no matter how tightly you cinch down the belts, you're going to slide on your seat through the turns. The outsides of your knees will get bruised and your legs will get tired from having to brace yourself.

I've never used angel pads. I got a harness and bar with my stock seats thinking that would solve the problem and it definitely did not. A racing seat certainly did though. I've heard good things about the angel pads.
Old 04-26-2013, 01:49 PM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

Originally Posted by lathrash
It's good to hear you ran the same tires. I guess I'll run these until they are gone and then upgrade to something better.
Don't get me wrong, those tires are terrible. It just doesn't matter at first. (Note that my PS2s were run flats)

What cooling upgrades did you do? I've been reading that I will probably want to upgrade my oil cooler at some point.
I replaced the radiator and put an external oil cooler. You'll need both eventually. For me it was around track day 5.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:18 PM
lathrash
Instructor

So I just finished my first track day at Willow Springs. It was a ton of fun. I ran completely stock except for Raybestos ST43 pads and Centric rotors with Motul RBF600 fluid. I had my mismatched run flat tires which took quite a beating. My best time was 1:43.725. It was almost 100° and my oil temps got into the 280° range. I ran the track entirely in 4th gear and tried to focus on my line and braking points.

I can see why people get hooked on this. I'll definitely be going again as soon as I can. I have a Z06 oil cooler I'm hoping to install before my next event to help keep the oil temps down.

Thanks again for all the advice.

Last edited by lathrash; 06-02-2013 at 11:38 PM. Reason: 280° instead of 180°
Old 06-02-2013, 11:28 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It was almost 100° and my oil temps got into the 180° range.
Your oil temps only got to 180 degrees? That is pretty low considering the ambient temp was nearly 100. I was running up to 300 degrees at my last event and the ambient temp was only 85.

Also, depending on which track event you attend, some require a tow hook. My car had a bad crank sensor at Buttonwillow and I had to have my car towed from the track. The tow hook came in very handy so I would not dismiss it as a non-essential.

Last edited by skxf430; 06-02-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:31 PM
skxf430
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced the radiator and put an external oil cooler. You'll need both eventually. For me it was around track day 5.
Which radiator and external oil cooler setup did you go with?

Is your car a Z06?
Old 06-02-2013, 11:37 PM
lathrash
Instructor

Originally Posted by skxf430
Your oil temps only got to 180 degrees? That is pretty low considering the ambient temp was nearly 100. I was running up to 300 degrees at my last event and the ambient temp was only 85.

Also, depending on which track event you attend, some require a tow hook. My car had a bad crank sensor at Buttonwillow and I had to have my car towed from the track. The tow hook came in very handy so I would not dismiss it as a non-essential.
I meant 280 degrees. My bad. I'll edit my post.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:41 PM
lathrash
Instructor

Originally Posted by skxf430
Which radiator and external oil cooler setup did you go with?

Is your car a Z06?
I have a base 2008 with the Z51 package. Not a Z06. I have the stock oil cooler that comes with the Z51 cars. The larger Z06 oil cooler is in the garage waiting to be installed.
Old 06-03-2013, 12:45 AM
Grabbed_Crow_Mobe
Pro

So I just finished my first track day at Willow Springs. It was a ton of fun. I ran completely stock except for Raybestos ST43 pads and Centric rotors with Motul RBF600 fluid. I had my mismatched run flat tires which took quite a beating. My best time was 1:43.725. It was almost 100° and my oil temps got into the 280° range. I ran the track entirely in 4th gear and tried to focus on my line and braking points.

I can see why people get hooked on this. I'll definitely be going again as soon as I can. I have a Z06 oil cooler I'm hoping to install before my next event to help keep the oil temps down.

Nice!!! Glad to know you made it out and enjoyed it!

I think you were parked across from me?
Old 06-03-2013, 12:58 AM
lathrash
Instructor

Nice!!! Glad to know you made it out and enjoyed it!

I think you were parked across from me?
Ya, I remember seeing another silver C6 across from me. I thought I'd have more time to walk around and talk to everyone, but the day went by faster than I expected. Hopefully I'll see you around at some other events.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 prep for track days

Old 06-03-2013, 01:25 AM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, I remember seeing another silver C6 across from me. I thought I'd have more time to walk around and talk to everyone, but the day went by faster than I expected. Hopefully I'll see you around at some other events.
Hi Nick, I was in the Silver C5Z in front of you for gas, and then to the side of you in our covered parking area. We chatted a bit (was nice to meet your lady friend as well).

You did very well your first time out. You remind me of another fast learner (Kevin .....).

Regarding your C6Z Oil Cooler. It will drop your temps about 15 to 20 degree's vs the smaller Z51 cooler.

I ran a 08 as well and found the following to help:

- Use Redline Synthetic for your power steering.
- Consider the Pfadt Poly Sway Bar Bushings (I have a set if you want to try them).
- The Michelin Pilot "Super Sport" tires are very good for dual usage and will last on track longer than other tires I had tried. A bit pricey but will perform better and last longer.
- I used the Angel Wings for the first time at Willow and was happy with the extra support they provided. Definitely not a Race Seat, but a help. You should order the thicker pads if you go that route.

Follow the above and you will be well set up to run Corvette Challenge events !!

Use Kevin as a resource as he has used a very methodical approach and has a car that is very well set up.

Ed
Old 06-03-2013, 01:36 PM
village idiot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,053 Posts

IMO, you're going super overkill. If you're going to do all that stuff, just buy a spec miata for $10-15k and save your C6.

All you really need is good brake fluid and maybe a good set of pads. Even the EOC isn't needed (though not a bad idea if it's sitting around).

Keep an eye on engine coolant and engine oil temps. If they get hot, just short shift for a lap. I will make you a $100k bet you won't set any track records that day- don't worry about. You're going to be worried about (or at least, you should be worried about) your lines, looking through turns, getting a feel for the car, getting on and off throttle at the right times, etc.

As far as tires- don't get track tires on your first day. you're better off screwing up at 0.90 G's and 45mph than 1.3G's and 75mph. When slicks let go, it's violent. In a C6, you're not going to plow/understeer either- good chance you'll be spinning. Plus, with more tire you're going to bring out other weaknesses and stress other parts (suspension, brakes, etc) more.
Old 06-03-2013, 02:47 PM
lathrash
Instructor

Originally Posted by village idiot
IMO, you're going super overkill. If you're going to do all that stuff, just buy a spec miata for $10-15k and save your C6.

All you really need is good brake fluid and maybe a good set of pads. Even the EOC isn't needed (though not a bad idea if it's sitting around).

Keep an eye on engine coolant and engine oil temps. If they get hot, just short shift for a lap. I will make you a $100k bet you won't set any track records that day- don't worry about. You're going to be worried about (or at least, you should be worried about) your lines, looking through turns, getting a feel for the car, getting on and off throttle at the right times, etc.

As far as tires- don't get track tires on your first day. you're better off screwing up at 0.90 G's and 45mph than 1.3G's and 75mph. When slicks let go, it's violent. In a C6, you're not going to plow/understeer either- good chance you'll be spinning. Plus, with more tire you're going to bring out other weaknesses and stress other parts (suspension, brakes, etc) more.
I have nothing against spec Miatas (I think they are awesome actually), but I bought the my Corvette to track it. I didn't buy a 400+ hp car just to put along on the street, never being able to explore the real capabilities of the car. Sure, it's fun to drive on the street, but I bought it because it has the ability to double as a daily driver and a weekend track car.

Maybe you didn't read the rest of the thread, but I already finished my first track day. Here is my post you missed...

Quick Reply: C6 prep for track days