Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lightest LS3 Clutch 450rwhp, still drive on the trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 11:42 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Lightest LS3 Clutch 450rwhp, still drive on the trailer?

Mine is a 100% dedicated track car but I refuse to push it around my driveway or winch it up a trailer. I need a new clutch after last weekend at Texas World Speedway (SPEC something with steel PP and OEM flywheel). I do want to lose as much weight as possible so how light it too light? Taking weights from the other weight savings thread the OEM setup is 56.5lbs. I have a line on a good used Fidanza aluminum flywheel which will help me lose 16lbs. If I go with an aluminum pressure plate too it is probably too little weight and too much clutch slippage to get the car up a trailer or around the corner in my driveway before the garage. Car will never be over 450rwhp, in fact I will be going ST3 so 331-360rwhp is where it will land. Race weight is now 3230lbs and this winter I plan to take out another 100lbs+. Thoughts/Comments?

JK

Clutch/Flywheel:

OEM Clutch/Flywheel----> 56.5 lbs
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->Tilton Triple Carbon Clutch w/ Alum. flywheel 14.9lbs(-41.6 lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->Tilton Triple Carbon Clutch w/ Steel flywheel 19 lbs(-37.5 lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->RPS BC2 Carbon/Alum. flywheel 25lbs (-31.5lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->RPS Street Twin Lite w/alum fly 32lbs (-24.5lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->RPS BC2 Carbon w/steel flywheel 32lbs (-24.5lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->RPS Billiet Tripple Carbon w/steel flywheel 36lbs (-20.5lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel----->Exedy Twin Disc clutch w/steel flywheel : 36.0lbs (-20.5lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->RPS Street Twin Carbon w/steel flywheel 39lbs (-17.5lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->RPS Organic Street Twin w/steel flywheel 40lbs (-16.5lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->RPS Street Twin Carbon w/Steel flywheel 43.45lbs (-13.05lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->Ram Force 10.5 twin-clutch/flywheel 45lbs (-11.5lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->Katech ZR1 Clutch w/alum fly 46.5lbs (-10lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->LS9R Clutch w/alum. flywheel 48.5lbs (-8 lbs)
OEM Clutch/Flywheel---->Textralia Exo-Skel Dual Disc w/Steel Flywheel 50lbs (-6.5lbs)

OEM Clutch---------->28.5lbs

OEM Flywheel----------->28lbs
OEM Flywheel----------->Spec Alum. Flywheel 16lbs (-12lbs)
OEM Flywheel----------->Ram Alum. Flywheel 18lbs (-10lbs)
OEM Flywheel----------->Ram Billet Steel Flywheel 25lbs (-3lbs)
OEM Flywheel----------->Spec Billet Steel Flywheel 26lbs (-2lbs)
Old 04-24-2013, 11:50 AM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Love my triple disc 5.5" V-Drive Quarter Master.
I have a pretty steep driveway and I drive it on the trailer.

Last edited by sperkins; 04-24-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 12:40 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by sperkins
Love my triple disc 5.5" V-Drive Quarter Master.
I have a pretty steep driveway and I drive it on the trailer
That's a nice setup. What do those cost out of curiosity?
Old 04-24-2013, 01:36 PM
brkntrxn
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

I have the 7.25" QM and drive it on the trailer.
Old 04-24-2013, 02:35 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I drove a 7.25" Mantic 7000 triple in NYC traffic, repeatedly starting from a stop on inclines, with a 700lb tire trailer in tow.
No problems.
It uses a real (but extremely light) flywheel instead of the button style (essentially it combines the flex plate and the button into one piece, helps w/heat).
Old 04-24-2013, 02:50 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Wow, I had no idea those tiny clutches were that streetable (for my purposes obviously I don't care about streetable per se, just trailer, driveway and pits). I guess I should ask how much? Also, did you guys or would you recommend a stock or aftermarket (Tick) Master, Slave, or both?
Old 04-24-2013, 03:46 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the 8 leg NASCAR 7.25" QM clutch and drive it up and down the driveway and on my lift. I took it apart a month or so ago and only had about 2 or 3 thousands wear after about a year of use. My driveway is pretty steep. All these guys that whine about clutches being on off switches just need to learn how to drive a clutch.
Oh ya, it weighs about 17lbs with everything including the starter ring.

Last edited by geerookie; 04-24-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 03:51 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Sperkins got a part number on that Vdrive? I'm checking Jegs and Summit but both are saying latest year is 1991?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:06 PM
geerookie
Drifting

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Sperkins got a part number on that Vdrive? I'm checking Jegs and Summit but both are saying latest year is 1991?
You have to call QuarterMaster to get the part numbers for the kit.
Or order the complete kit from Danny Popp. You won't find all the parts you need for a C5/C6 listed anywhere. You can go to Farmers website and he has a write up with most of the part numbers but you will have to substitute the part numbers for the specific clutch you want as his is for the Pro-Series.
Old 04-24-2013, 05:41 PM
Last C5
Safety Car

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

My Z is 450 to the rear wheels and I run the Fidanza aluminum flywheel and there 7.6 dual disk clutch and light weight pressure plate.
The total set up weighs under 30 lbs and I load my car on and off the trailer all the time, no problem. Very streetable.
Old 04-26-2013, 10:36 AM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Danny P spec'd Quartermaster on the way. For the Quartermaster guys what flexplate did you go with? Apparently the OEM 98 Camaro Flywheel Danny specs is now coming from GM as a heavier piece so I'm looking for the lightest SFI rated one I can get.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:08 AM
redtopz
Melting Slicks

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryTX
Danny P spec'd Quartermaster on the way. For the Quartermaster guys what flexplate did you go with? Apparently the OEM 98 Camaro Flywheel Danny specs is now coming from GM as a heavier piece so I'm looking for the lightest SFI rated one I can get.
Get the GM spec flex plate that QM recommends. I originally went with a thicker racing flex plate that I had leftover from a drag car and it ended up being too thick for the quartermaster clutch. BTW, I also have the 7.25 triple and drive it into my trailer and around the paddock with no issues.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:58 AM
raam
Instructor

I went a bit lighter yet but have not used it yet, 5.5" QM twin rally spec disks as they are easier to slip for moving the car around. Same exact setup won NASA Nats in ST1.

My new project is going to have around 500 HP at the crank in a 2300 lb(dry weight) car so it should be just fine there

Rick
Old 04-26-2013, 03:17 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by moespeeds
Sure do. I'll PM you what I have.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:36 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by brkntrxn
I have the 7.25" QM and drive it on the trailer.
I have the QM too. I got the hardware from Danny Popp. I am very happy with the 7.25" set-up and I am very happy with it. Danny was most excellent to deal with as well.

While I can drive it into the trailer I bought a 5000 lb winch from Harbor freight for about $140 and connected it to my trailer battery. I also bought the $25 HF wireless remote for the winch and the whole thing is actually easier to winch into the trailer than driving it in with the OEM clutch.
Old 04-27-2013, 11:51 PM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

There is absolutely no reason to have a car trailer without a winch.
Old 04-28-2013, 12:40 AM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by trackboss
There is absolutely no reason to have a car trailer without a winch.
So cheapassery is an unacceptable answer? What if I were to propose laziness, as the install would require thought and effort not only for the winch, but also for its power supply.

Get notified of new replies

To Lightest LS3 Clutch 450rwhp, still drive on the trailer?

Old 04-28-2013, 04:25 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

No, it just seems crazy to spend a few thousand on a trailer, even more on a clutch, (not even considering the tow vehicle) and then have no way to load a car if it cannot move under it's own power. I've seen it happen before where a vehicle was damaged enough to where it could barely roll. I even loaned my own trailer out to someone once who ended up swapping it after an event with a fellow racer who had no winch on his trailer because his car was extremely damaged. It saved a whole lot of hassle in getting the cars home.
Just trust me, a properly mounted winch and battery setup on your trailer is a worthwhile investment. If cost really is a concern you can save a few bucks by swapping the battery in your track car onto the trailer until on the track although I don't recommend it. Otherwise, why not just drive the car to the track and not deal with the whole hassle of trailering?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 PM
moespeeds
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought I was ok not having a winch in my trailer, until my Harmonic balancer came off and trashed the power steering rack. We had to push the car into the trailer what a PIA. I went out and bought a winch the next week, it really wasn't that expensive and I've already got a battery running the lights.

So I emailed Quartermaster and they suggested I go with the 7.25" setup, and gave me a part number: 3815190TL

I did a search on their website and google, and this part number doesn't come up. I PM'd Danny Popp last week, but still no response. Why is it so hard to find this thing?
Old 04-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Just try navigating their website, you can't search by year/make/model (unless I'm retarded?). I see the Pfadt/QM setup comes with its own slave. A beefy looking one at that.

Trackboss, the day my car needs to be pushed onto the trailer is probably the day before a winch becomes my priority. Currently, I drag the car to the track because I can't fit a tent, cooler, jack, stands, spare brakes, etc in the trunk of the Corvette. I once unexpectedly ran out of brake pad (which is why I now carry spares) and that was like dragging fingernails across a chalk board all the way home. I just kept the radio cranked. If all I have is the Corvette, I don't even have a place to lean the seat back and chill out between events. Worst case scenario, the tow truck hooks up diagonally and winches the beast onto my trailer for now. I'm going to change my reason to time now, as I must replace reverse and a slave between May/June events and add a fully ducted PS cooler between June/July events. Pike's Peak Hillbclimb will consume a weekend in June, so I'm a bit compressed at the moment.

Quick Reply: Lightest LS3 Clutch 450rwhp, still drive on the trailer?