Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Summit Point crash...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2013, 08:30 AM
trapp
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
Apparently a pole impaled the instructor from below in a very bad way after the car flipped several times.

It was a poor error but a novice error - and very bad luck for the instructor. The car went through significant layers of track safety.

I just completed the NASA Instructor Clinic at VIR. I have not 100% decided but I think that was enough for me.

My friend Paul has instructed countless times. I think I would much rather preach safety equipment (brake pads) in the paddock rather then have that helpless feeling in the right seat.
Looks like a cage would not have helped....a pole through the floor is tough to prevent....I hope he recovers fully...
Old 04-05-2013, 10:01 AM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by sothpaw2
What turn, group/session, what error, what debris? Always good to learn. I feel safest on the straight before the braking zone so, without shifting, I wonder how that could have been an issue. Sounds like maybe an un-smooth jerk of the wheel at high speed to avoid a piece of debris.

Hope the instructor is ok. I owe my DE's to one of those guys; I didn't get much out of my first NCM VIR.
The infamous turn 10. Left wheels off track -tried to come back on track and the rest is history. I've seen more bad wrecks from turn 10 than any other at Summit. I make sure I'm firmly planted and well sorted on turn 10. I may lose a lot of time there-but I can accept that when running a HPDE.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:13 AM
von zoom
Instructor

Originally Posted by KNSBrakes
The car went through significant layers of track safety.
Sorry to disagree Ken, and by no means to begin a discussion, but that area of the track at Summit has little protection considering the speed. Only a small 4 deep tire wall, embankment with a wooden fence beyond in front of the reachable woods. No Armco.
vz
Old 04-05-2013, 12:46 PM
KNSBrakes
Supporting Vendor

Received 363 Likes on 285 Posts

Originally Posted by von zoom
Sorry to disagree Ken, and by no means to begin a discussion, but that area of the track at Summit has little protection considering the speed. Only a small 4 deep tire wall, embankment with a wooden fence beyond in front of the reachable woods. No Armco.
vz
It's fine. I didn't choose my words correctly as I have no qualifications to rate the safety of that area of the track. I was just posting what I knew at the time as David asked about it.

Best wishes to all involved however.

Last edited by KNSBrakes; 04-05-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:08 PM
r.hillenbrand
******RETIRED ARMY******
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '12

After being on the track many times and considering it a home track 45 minutes from home. I can only think this happened after getting past the rumble strip. There is a deep rock sand pit to slow the cars down there before getting into the tire wall and fence area. Even though this is a terrible thing to happen jerking the car back onto track (mistake) is where most get into trouble.

Turn 3 is the one that has me on edge. Slipping out there is dangerous small pebble pit and then trees. The dip in 9 and not on gas is where I have seen most of the cars get into trouble. Seems to send most to the inside wall backwards.

I have been going to Summit for the last 4 years and have only seen 2 accidents in turn 10 during NASA events. (1) was a Vette that went in hot and didn't try to over correct, went into the pebble pit and then into the wall. (2) was a young driver in HPDE-1 over corrected and went into the wall. Both drivers and instructor were OK. (3) Last year a Vette hit a deer on the front straight past the start finish line.

I have seen some go off there and keep it straight until the car is slowed and they can come back on safely. The safety at the track is not skimped on and I know the corner workers are some of the best and do both SCCA and NASA events. Most of them travel all over the East Coast.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:51 PM
von zoom
Instructor

Initially I refrained from posting any details about this very bad incident, however I am beginning to get many emails on the subject, and in an effort to head off any misinformation or speculation, I will provide some factual details for you.

The student and instructor in a late model Mustang after entering the front straight, the student swerves to avoid a small piece of flying debris, drops two wheels off drivers left just after the start bridge. Overcorrects to return to the track, the cars continues across the track, goes off drivers right hitting the drainage ditch just before the first crossover road, then contacting a four deep tire wall, over and up a bank, rolled several times taking out sections of wooden fence polls and boards, before coming to rest just past the SCCA sound. Fence post (four by four wood post) comes through the floor, and passenger seat, impaling through the instructor exiting out the instructor's abdomen. Instructor is life flighted to Fairfax Hospital. Serious surgery, no updates. Student cuts and bruises.

FYI, despite one of the fastest sections of track, no Armco for protection.
vz
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Independent1
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Hope the instructor makes a full and speedy recovery.

I have driven Summit Point Main on several occasions. At first glance it looks like there are a lot of run off areas but closer inspection reveals that the ground is very uneven and full of ruts. Catch a tire the wrong way and you are in deep trouble!!

The comment about someone hitting the deer near T1 made me remember seeing a deer head off to the left of T1 when I was there last July. Did see what I thought was a muskrat on the track between T2 and T3. I just slowed the car down and beeped my horn and waited for the little guy to get off the track. Let the track crew know he was out that way so they could let the other drivers know.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:20 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

After reading the above all that I can say is my thoughts and prayers for the instructor and his survival. I hate to say this but I have a feeling that if he is able to make it through, that is going to be a permanent life altering type of injury. Really puts into perspective the dangers of what we are doing and also makes me realize that no matter how well prepared you think that you and your car might be, there are simply some things that you can not prepare for. Even if the car had a full cage, fire system and everything else how do you prepare for the chances of a 4x4 post coming through the bottom of your car???
Old 04-05-2013, 03:35 PM
oh1vette
Safety Car

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Best wishes to the instructor...

You instructors got ***** of titanium to do what you do....

and THANK YOU for doing it just isn't enough when something like this happens....
Old 04-05-2013, 03:45 PM
StreetSpeed
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Initially I refrained from posting any details about this very bad incident, however I am beginning to get many emails on the subject, and in an effort to head off any misinformation or speculation, I will provide some factual details for you.

The student and instructor in a late model Mustang after entering the front straight, the student swerves to avoid a small piece of flying debris, drops two wheels off drivers left just after the start bridge. Overcorrects to return to the track, the cars continues across the track, goes off drivers right hitting the drainage ditch just before the first crossover road, then contacting a four deep tire wall, over and up a bank, rolled several times taking out sections of wooden fence polls and boards, before coming to rest just past the SCCA sound. Fence post (four by four wood post) comes through the floor, and passenger seat, impaling through the instructor exiting out the instructor's abdomen. Instructor is life flighted to Fairfax Hospital. Serious surgery, no updates. Student cuts and bruises.

vz
Thanks for the heads up. This will be something to consider discussing with future students, although I always talk about going off track, driving off track, the dangers of steering off track, etc. I wonder if there are some talking points that were perhaps missed by the instructor that could have avoided this accident? Not playing armchair instructor, just wondering. Hope the instructor pulls though all right.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 721 Likes on 501 Posts

Lots of dangerous tracks....CMP, a "modern" facility, has easily reachable Trees at half of the corners (and friends here on the forum have been through them). Makes me feel that concrete, a la Rd Atlanta, is indeed safer to hit than natural obstacles!

Prayers for the injured.....but I still feel safer at the track than on the street 90% of the time!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:22 PM
varkwso
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sperkins
After a couple of years of close calls and oh-**** moments in the passengers seat (mostly mechanical issues), we took a vote at my house and we all decided that instructing wasn't worth the risk.
Even with a 99.9% chance of nothing happening, that .01% chance could be devastating to my family (assuming they actually do like me ).
Good decision. I have hit both concrete and trees in right seat.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:24 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

wow i am getting sick to my stomach reading about the instructors injuries may god help him and his recoveries that is horrible, i cant imagine the pain he is in or the pain his family is feeling either.

sadly doesnt sound like any protection could have helped from that injury

Old 04-06-2013, 04:30 PM
Wicked Weasel
Team Owner

Received 297 Likes on 94 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'08

Hope the instructor makes it.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:52 PM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A few years back we lost an instructor at CMP due to a "freak" accident where a Porsche ended up in the woods and the resulting intrusion into the cabin proved fatal to the instructor. We all know the risk when we jump in the passenger seat but its the love for the sport and the passion to help others build their skills that keeps us there. Prayers out to this guy and his family ....
Old 04-07-2013, 06:45 AM
2 GTOs
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '11-'12

Please keep us updated. If there is anything we can do for him or the family......
Old 04-07-2013, 08:39 PM
PA Z06
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

vz
This report is correct.
The instructor in question is one of my dearest friends, the driver of the roush was friends with the instructor and this was not his first event.
A couple of us went to visit the instructor, look at the car, and survey the skid marks.
The instructor is still touch and go every day, I know all the details but, but will not post them out of respect for his family. His family has had to make many difficult decisions that will affect him for the rest of his life
Please everyone pray for him, he is one of the nicest guys anyone could meet. He was a regular at summit and VIR and even owned a C6z06 for some time. The instructor was an amazing driver, I have let him drive my car many times, in the dry and wet and I have been in his race car many times.
This kind of stuff really makes you think about the choices you make when tracking a car, and how much respect everyone should show instructors.
Please everyone say a prayer and give your loved ones a hug tonight.
Regards Nando

Get notified of new replies

To Summit Point crash...

Old 04-07-2013, 11:03 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 35 Posts

It is always sad to hear of news like this, my thoughts and prayers are with the family, and his many friends.

It sounds like there are many of us on this forum that know the instructor, but regardless, it is clear that he is a lifelong track enthusiast. I am praying that he will recover.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:02 AM
geerookie
Drifting

May God bless him and his family and provide wisdom and insight to the doctors responsible for his care.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:09 AM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by geerookie
May God bless him and his family and provide wisdom and insight to the doctors responsible for his care.

Quick Reply: Summit Point crash...