Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are You Faster Then A Redneck?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Madkarter
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mark is totaly correct. I miss read the NARRA post on facebook.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:19 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by 95jersey
Show will blow like all modern TV today.
Yea, bigtime.

If it doesn't blow........it will be a Television First.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:54 PM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I will watch the show as I know most of the players....Those "OLD" muscle cars are equipped with lots of modern equipemnt and suspension geometry as alot of them ,especially the Detroit Speed cars use C5/C6 Corvette front suspension geometry as the two owners were GM engineers on the C5 Corvette chassis/suspension developemnt team.

...This will be "made for TV" by the promoter, so we will see how that all turns out.

FWIW, I believe that all of the cars had to participate on 200+ treadwear tires to keep parity, not that all 200+ treadwear tires are created equally

.....and yes, Jody, Detroit Speed are the people in the show that live in YOUR backyard....

I made it known to the show producers , that if they ever require a "redneck" Corvette, I will bring something that they will not soon forget
Old 02-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Bill Howell
Instructor

Guys, I saw this, and thought I would both respond and ask about the op.

I am part of the show, I be a Redneck. Playing the part was not a stretch for me, I just had to get up and get dressed-lol

I am not sure about anyone from the show being at this event in Texas this weekend, next weekend is the big Premier, and the show will start airing on Monday nights at 9pm on Speed.

Danny is right, most all cars on BFG KDWs which are actually TW300. you could run TW200, that was minimum.
The show has Jon Reep as the main Redneck so yes, it is somewhat a comedy show, but, let there be no doubt, this was real racing, door to door and at least one rubbing incident. There were no do-overs and no retakes on the racing. What you see on the show was what happened on the track. spin, and you were out. Miss a gear, and you were passed, miss your line and watch out. The cars were very evenly matched. Muscle may have pulled the long straight but euro would eat up the corner so you might be surprised at the outcome of the episodes. Watch it and then decide if you like it or not.
I am subscribed and yes, I have my flame retardant suit close by.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:07 AM
08velocity
Drifting

Received 121 Likes on 88 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by Bill Howell
Guys, I saw this, and thought I would both respond and ask about the op.

I am part of the show, I be a Redneck. Playing the part was not a stretch for me, I just had to get up and get dressed-lol

I am not sure about anyone from the show being at this event in Texas this weekend, next weekend is the big Premier, and the show will start airing on Monday nights at 9pm on Speed.

Danny is right, most all cars on BFG KDWs which are actually TW300. you could run TW200, that was minimum.
The show has Jon Reep as the main Redneck so yes, it is somewhat a comedy show, but, let there be no doubt, this was real racing, door to door and at least one rubbing incident. There were no do-overs and no retakes on the racing. What you see on the show was what happened on the track. spin, and you were out. Miss a gear, and you were passed, miss your line and watch out. The cars were very evenly matched. Muscle may have pulled the long straight but euro would eat up the corner so you might be surprised at the outcome of the episodes. Watch it and then decide if you like it or not.
I am subscribed and yes, I have my flame retardant suit close by.
Well hello Bill !! nice seeing you on here ! oh this Scott Smith I'm "stage2ROUSH" on Pro-Touring.com . My wife and I are REALLY enjoying the show !! gotta say its really cool seeing cars and peaple we know from RTTH's,PSMC etc ... doing what we all love.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:30 AM
KBow_Photo
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

I look at the history of what Speed puts on TV, Hard Parts South Bronx, Battle of the Supercars, Pass Time, My Ride Rules, Unique Whips etc and know that this show will all to likely be complete garbage.

That along with the title, R U, what the proper Are You to long for the morons to type?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 AM
slo_z28
Instructor

The show is terrible. Shows like this are the death of Speed TV.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

I figured this show would be lame, lamer, lamest.

Wrong- it was worse.
Old 02-26-2013, 03:24 PM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know it's made for tv, but did anybody else find it pathetic that a pro driver in a 650hp/700tq TransAm with endless suspension/chasis mods damn near got beat by an amateur in a stock Gallardo? The main straight is the only place he had much of a lead! And my fear of them making good ole boys look like a bunch of idiots came true as well. I did find it funny when the guy in the Fairlane was so hyped up by the head redneck as being able to "really drive, that guy don't stand a chance"....then he hit the sand in turn 1 lap 1!
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
I know it's made for tv
That's all you really need to know. It's for TV
Old 02-26-2013, 04:14 PM
braknl8
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was suprised that the TA wasn't Griswold's mustang . ...guess that will be next episode.

What I can't understand is how shows like this can get a pilot but they won't cover grassroots stuff. I haven't even seen a trans am race on TV in forever and I can remember being in my early teens, maybe not even into my teens, not being able to wait for the next time to be able to watch Paul Gentilozzi and Tommy Kendall battle it out. Larger target audience, I guess?

Last edited by braknl8; 02-26-2013 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-26-2013, 07:46 PM
mgg
Instructor

Originally Posted by mesospeedy
I know it's made for tv, but did anybody else find it pathetic that a pro driver in a 650hp/700tq TransAm with endless suspension/chasis mods damn near got beat by an amateur in a stock Gallardo? The main straight is the only place he had much of a lead! And my fear of them making good ole boys look like a bunch of idiots came true as well. I did find it funny when the guy in the Fairlane was so hyped up by the head redneck as being able to "really drive, that guy don't stand a chance"....then he hit the sand in turn 1 lap 1!
Ol Kenny Wallace looked as if he was pretty relieved when he crossed the finish line first. His facial expressions in the car were priceless. He seemed genuinley nervous. According to Darrell Waltrip Nascar drivers are the best in the world. Looked to me like that chump in the lambo was giving him all he wanted. Actually, I thought the show was pretty funny. Got to see some cool cars, gave some guys a chance to have a lot of fun and at least the cars were on track, turning, braking etc. I just wish they could cover solo championships, a NASA race here or there and a vintage race now and then. Its better than west coast customs, monster jam, or pimp my ride
Old 02-26-2013, 08:40 PM
drivinhard
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mgg
I just wish they could cover solo championships, a NASA race here or there and a vintage race now and then. Its better than west coast customs, monster jam, or pimp my ride
They have been approached by it. They don't want it
Old 02-26-2013, 09:00 PM
froggy47
Race Director

Received 194 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by mgg
Ol Kenny Wallace looked as if he was pretty relieved when he crossed the finish line first. His facial expressions in the car were priceless. He seemed genuinley nervous. According to Darrell Waltrip Nascar drivers are the best in the world. Looked to me like that chump in the lambo was giving him all he wanted. Actually, I thought the show was pretty funny. Got to see some cool cars, gave some guys a chance to have a lot of fun and at least the cars were on track, turning, braking etc. I just wish they could cover solo championships, a NASA race here or there and a vintage race now and then. Its better than west coast customs, monster jam, or pimp my ride
I think Kenny jumped the start a little because he knew the G was awd. If the G had gone in 1st to T1 Kenny never would have caught him. The G driver was decent.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:48 AM
trackboss
Melting Slicks

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't have speed, but last night I found the show on demand and watched the first two episodes. Pretty unimpressed with the driving. Over the last couple years Finch has recieved lots of press about his camaro and driving skills. I was expecting him to completely blow out the bmw. His camaro appeared to handle pretty well and have several hundred hp more than the opponent yet the driver just couldn't pull away other than on the straight at the end. I would have loved to be able to drive that thing. Unless the car truly handles like crap I think I would have nearly lapped the bmw.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 AM
mgg
Instructor

I just thought about this so I thought I would post it. A friend of mine who I race withed for many years had his first SCCA race at Carolina motorsports park. This was many years ago. I remember him telling me that sand was bowing on the track and made it very slippery and unpredicatable. I just thought about that and wondered if that might have something to do with some of offs everyone witnessed. Well at least we all got to see some cars doing what they are supposed to be doing. Rather than just talking about it.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 AM
STEVEN13
Melting Slicks

Received 112 Likes on 92 Posts

As most people who track their cars already know-It's not the amount of HP you have on a road course. This was clearly illustrated on this show. Kenny Wallace almost got beat and in the 2nd show the Camaro had it on the long straight.

The show could be cool if they could match the cars better. Makes the RN look silly

Regards,
Steve

Get notified of new replies

To Are You Faster Then A Redneck?

Old 02-27-2013, 10:11 AM
slo_z28
Instructor

Originally Posted by mgg
I just thought about this so I thought I would post it. A friend of mine who I race withed for many years had his first SCCA race at Carolina motorsports park. This was many years ago. I remember him telling me that sand was bowing on the track and made it very slippery and unpredicatable. I just thought about that and wondered if that might have something to do with some of offs everyone witnessed. Well at least we all got to see some cars doing what they are supposed to be doing. Rather than just talking about it.
The off was from Bill Howell the poster above, and it was him not the track. The rednecks were on the brand new BFG Sport Comp 2 which is a horrid tire, or they were on some prototype BFG Rivals that are even worse. The silver camaro with the carbon fiber hood is Brian Finch, his car is normally very sorted and he is a good driver,but he changed a bunch of things and really upset the car as you can see. Finch's car has well over 600hp to the wheels, C6 suspension, good shocks, and 335's all around, and that 300HP AWD Kamakazi car kept right on him. Theres something to be said for those Kamakazi cars.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:12 AM
95jersey
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny thing, first thing people look at when they see the stats is how much HP the car has, we all know that is only a part of the chemistry to create fast lap times. Did anyone notice how much heavier ALL of the American muscle cars were than the European cars? Huge difference, like 800+lbs. Also, most of the american cars probably had iron block V8's (one with a big block), over the front wheels, with a heavy tranny matted right behind. The weight distribution on those muscle cars must be terrible. You can't get a car around a race track fast with that much weight over the front tires, ain't gonna happen. That is why the Euro cars are able to stay so close.

The show I'd like to see is take a budget (say $200k) per car. Have the Euro's buy their nice exotic, then have the American's buy a stock Z06, but allow them to spend up to the $200k budget in any mods they want. So now you have $200k v. $200k. Then lets see what fast really is...
Old 02-27-2013, 10:27 AM
slo_z28
Instructor

Being familiar with the cars from the show, I know that the silver camaro is 8-900lbs lighter than the STI. These pro touring cars can get pretty light. All these cars have aluminum block LS engines. My 74 camaro is all steel, has an iron headed iron block, big bumpers still, and is well under 3000lbs now.

Quick Reply: Are You Faster Then A Redneck?