Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone track without tow hooks?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 10:58 AM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Anyone track without tow hooks?

I know this is a stupid question but does anyone track without tow hooks? I've done 11 events in my C5 Z with no incident. Not to say I couldn't have one. I've down probably close to 70 events or more total and only ever been towed once and I'm not sure the tow hook was really needed.

90% of the tracks I go to do not have any kind of gravel pits. Is it easy to tow if you don't if that is the case?

I really don't want to take my front bumper off plus I have a Vararam and putting a tow hook on with that is a pain.

Still, I know having a tow hook makes it that much easier and quicker. How exactly do they tow if you don't have one?

I do not race and only do DE events. Car is still driven on the street.

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:05 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 264 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I know this is a stupid question but does anyone track without tow hooks? I've done 11 events in my C5 Z with no incident. Not to say I couldn't have one. I've down probably close to 70 events or more total and only ever been towed once and I'm not sure the tow hook was really needed.

90% of the tracks I go to do not have any kind of gravel pits. Is it easy to tow if you don't if that is the case?

I really don't want to take my front bumper off plus I have a Vararam and putting a tow hook on with that is a pain.

Still, I know having a tow hook makes it that much easier and quicker. How exactly do they tow if you don't have one?

I do not race and only do DE events. Car is still driven on the street.

Thanks.
I did but had a trailer hitch. and yes I needed it once when I threw a belt. just put one on the back it's easy there. if you don't have one the track crew may get antsy and just hook up on any thing . like a tie rod
Old 01-24-2013, 11:20 AM
Larry Myers
Burning Brakes

Received 82 Likes on 78 Posts

Tow hooks = insurance. Have had them on my car for several years but have had no need to use them. But, if you do have an off track event, the likelyhood of the track crew retrieving your car without further damage is much higher. Having tow hooks gives me a warm fuzzy.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM
dreamscometrue
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out Phoenix, they have hinged tow hooks that when the eye is removed the bracket is barely noticeable on the street.
Old 01-24-2013, 11:44 AM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

I have been there rain day, empty track having a blast sliding the car around got cocky and this happened. It sucks watching them try to drag your car out on suspension stuff it took hours to clean this clay off even with the mother of all pressure washers at the track.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:07 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ErnieN85
I did but had a trailer hitch. and yes I needed it once when I threw a belt. just put one on the back it's easy there. if you don't have one the track crew may get antsy and just hook up on any thing . like a tie rod
Hey I didn't think about that. I just recently installed a Drawtite hitch on my car to pull a tire trailer. Can this now suffice as a rear tow hitch?
CanadianVetster
Drifting

Received 161 Likes on 87 Posts

my Z06 is lowered and I ran out of gas and they wanted to tow me back on the flatbed......... got them to bring gas instead............ very embarrassing......
RDnomorecobra
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I added them after seeing fiberglass body panels destroyed by a wrecker at the Glen. Their purpose in life is to remove the car asap, not to make sure they don't damage anything. Have not had to use mine so far ... knock wood.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:52 PM
crimlwC6
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 47 Posts

http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=118
Old 01-24-2013, 01:01 PM
sperkins
Le Mans Master

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Sounds like you're tempting fate.
I've had one on both the front and rear of my car for 3 years and I've never needed to use either, but I know my time is coming.
Old 01-24-2013, 02:01 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
Hey I didn't think about that. I just recently installed a Drawtite hitch on my car to pull a tire trailer. Can this now suffice as a rear tow hitch?
That should be fine. There are eyelets available to slip into your receiver. Somewhere I read some specs on tow hooks/eyelets and I think a 2" x 2.5" hole is recommended (mandatory in some cases). Remember, the tow truck operator needs to pass a hook through the eyelet. I still have a couple tow hooks available for 89-96 C4s to those of you who could use one.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:28 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

I haven't installed them yet, but probably should. They would have come in very handy when I popped my motor at HMS last year. Took over 30 min putting the car on a flatbed without the hooks.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:29 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

You will want a front tow eye/rope, if, for example, your ignition switch decides to bite the bullet after you stall after a spin. It will avoid a flatbed ride back to the paddock.
When getting pulled, feather the brake so that the rope stays relatively tight, or else you could get the rope caught up in a tire (when the tow truck decides to stop/slow down) and damage the front fascia (or if you are fancy, the front splitter and carbon undertray as well).
Old 01-24-2013, 03:49 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Perfect example was this weekend in Houston at MSR: soft ground but dead grass. I had two offs and started two fires because I was stuck and nearly stuck. Thankfully I didn't need a tow just a push but the tow hooks were there just in case no matter which way I was pointing. I've seen fires consume half an acre on a windy day in nothing flat. If the car were stranded it might become a casualty.
Old 01-24-2013, 03:52 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Well, that also goes to the point that you should always have a fire extinguisher in your car if you go on the track.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:57 PM
JerryTX
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Well, that also goes to the point that you should always have a fire extinguisher in your car if you go on the track.
In my case that means a second extinguisher: I already have one bolted in that when activated will spray the drivers feet/firewall area and a second nozzle under the hood. I do not though have a second one that I can unbolt and try to put out a grass fire, may need to think about that and pull out some ballast
Old 01-24-2013, 06:42 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

I would rather have a dedicated front tow hook than have the track workers "find" a spot to hook their cable/strap/ or gulp....chain hook on my car.

My track car these days is a street car. So I didn't want to do too much that couldn't be undone. I run the Phoenix folding tow hook and keep the "eye" in my glove box in case I need it. Clean install but does require that you remove the bumper cover and drill the bumper channel. I found another intake grill and trimmed that rather than my original.

Since we are on the subject...here are some of my install pics.

Get notified of new replies

To Anyone track without tow hooks?

Old 01-24-2013, 07:22 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,919 Likes on 5,328 Posts

When the engine blew on my Z I didn't have a tow hook on the car. The tow truck driver at the Glen was very careful with my car. They lifted it at the rear wheels by sliding two bars under the car and then widening them to the tires, then the outside of the bars moved around the outside of the tires and clamping them between the two bars. Then they tied the two sides together and lifted the rear of the car just far enough the wheels and bars were off the ground.

Since then I have installed a rear toe eye but that doesn't do much good when they are trying to toe you back to the pits. Being towed backwards is no fun.

Bill
Old 01-24-2013, 07:35 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 475 Likes on 422 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

No hooks on the front of my '87 as there is no easy way to mount one there.

I have a trailer hitch in the rear and I have a ring that mounts to the hitch.
Old 01-24-2013, 10:02 PM
TravisD
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Z07coupe
I still have a couple tow hooks available for 89-96 C4s to those of you who could use one.
Talk to me...

Quick Reply: Anyone track without tow hooks?