Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street car vs race car

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 04:18 PM
JeremyGSU
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by trapp
It is less expensive to buy a used track/race car then to convert your street car to a race car. If you just plan on doing track days you can do a few more things to your car and you will be plenty fast. If you looking at a lightweight race car you will see them for sale on this forum for a fraction of the cost to build yourself...
Very true. I have spent a ton of money adding track parts to my street car. While I didn't want a track only car it's definitely cheaper to do it that way.

However, not sure all the other costs associated with it are.

Buying a truck is pretty costly anymore, even a used one. Diesel's are holding a premium. Trailers aren't cheap either and then you have to have a place to store it.

Not a cheap hobby no matter which way you go.

Last edited by JeremyGSU; 01-25-2013 at 04:22 PM.
Old 02-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Z07coupe
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
This is a long slippery slope. I've ridden down this slope. When you reach the bottom of the hill you'll be driving a truck and pulling a trailer behind it.

My goal at this point is to buy a street car with a/c that I can just drive to the track and then drive home. It might not happen but I can dream.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
And that's a fact!
Old 02-16-2013, 10:01 PM
ZedO6
Burning Brakes

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

This is a long slippery slope. I've ridden down this slope. When you reach the bottom of the hill you'll be driving a truck and pulling a trailer behind it.

My goal at this point is to buy a street car with a/c that I can just drive to the track and then drive home. It might not happen but I can dream.

Richard Newton
Car Tech Stuff
Having done this twice before...you couldn't be more right.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:14 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Loose the turbo idea and use a real motor...then it will be more of a race car
Old 02-17-2013, 08:20 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1

loose the twin trubo. those are for ricers.

Super HIGH HP cars dont always seem to last very long at track days. They loose their brakes, over heat or wind up in the tire walls / armco.

A good NA engine is well worth the time NOT spent fixing it.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:31 AM
MYRX
Instructor

Too bad I did not read a post like this 5 years ago. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to have a competitive TT car, that I could still drive on the street. Now I have neither, plus a new truck, and 20' trailer. The car isn't 100% a race car, but enough changes that it isn't streetable, (camber settings, very stiff springs, etc). But, it isn't built enough to really win in TT either.

Lesson learned: If you want to be competitve buy or build a dedicated track car! You can't have both. Looking back, I have already spent what I needed for some of the good deals I see today on race cars. I could have had both.

If you just want to do HPDE's then I think having a dual car is ok.
Old 02-17-2013, 08:32 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by VGLNTE1
Originally Posted by AU N EGL

loose the twin trubo. those are for ricers.

Super HIGH HP cars dont always seem to last very long at track days. They loose their brakes, over heat or wind up in the tire walls / armco.

A good NA engine is well worth the time NOT spent fixing it.
Please re read my origional post. I am looking to loose as much weight as possible to make the car faster. I am interested to know at what point f removing/ changing stock parts do I change my street car to a race car.

I am building something to compete with the 1500hp lambos, I wan to shed more weight to offset my traction disadvantage
Old 02-17-2013, 08:34 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

When I was trying to make the same decision back in 03 (clearly can tell which way I went), I read somewhere that tampering with federally mandated safety devices (e.g. seat belts and air bags) was not legal. Can't cite a source, but before you go down this road and find out at your state inspection that you have crossed a line, I'd do some research on this one.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-17-2013, 08:40 AM
SinisterC6
Le Mans Master

Received 380 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by MYRX
Too bad I did not read a post like this 5 years ago. I have spent a lot of time and money trying to have a competitive TT car, that I could still drive on the street. Now I have neither, plus a new truck, and 20' trailer. The car isn't 100% a race car, but enough changes that it isn't streetable, (camber settings, very stiff springs, etc). But, it isn't built enough to really win in TT either.

Lesson learned: If you want to be competitve buy or build a dedicated track car! You can't have both. Looking back, I have already spent what I needed for some of the good deals I see today on race cars. I could have had both.

I agree when I have more time and want to get into track racing I will pick up an AVI racing corvette and just beat on that
Old 02-17-2013, 08:54 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by SinisterC6
Please re read my origional post. I am looking to loose as much weight as possible to make the car faster. I am interested to know at what point f removing/ changing stock parts do I change my street car to a race car.

I am building something to compete with the 1500hp lambos, I wan to shed more weight to offset my traction disadvantage
why? and where are all these lambos?

driving skill is very important, then safety.

traction might be more of a function of car stability, ( roll cage) suspension, brand new sticky tires, and driving skill, not loosing too much weight.

loosing weight or adding lightness is not too complicated. Replace as many parts as you can with carbon fiber parts. Strip out everything you can. but as others have said, might not be street legal.

there are a few guys who have got their car down to 2700 lbs. but with cage back to 2900-3000.

th AVI may be what you are really looking for.

Turn-key Starting at $59,900 (with crate LS3 – less seat, paint and tires)

Last edited by AU N EGL; 02-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:40 AM
Z07coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by MYRX

It feels good to learn that I did something right in my life. When I got the track bug, I first installed sway bars, bushings, camber brace and the big brake option on my Ruby. This made it a great street car and an adequate occasional track car. Not wanting to carry the project further and slide down the slope, I simply bought a car that ‘hrocks’ built. What a car! It did, for my purposes, require a trailer (and trailer modifications to load and haul, trailer maintenance issues, trailer storage issues and total loading and unloading for every use). It also required the purchase of a vehicle to tow. For six years I have adapted to this situation wondering if I made a big mistake for only a few outings each year. Even though I’m mentally preparing to sell the car due to growing old, you made me feel better. Thanks MYRX.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM
63Corvette
Le Mans Master

Received 283 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Charley Hoyt
Loosing weight doesn't make a car a race car. The conversion starts with a full roll cage.... But, to be a full race car the car needs to be prepared to meet a specific race class. On the other hand, it stops being a street car when it isn't street legal.
What he said!!! Building a race car is not good economics when buying a racecar is so cheap. NOTE: a WINNING racecar is a completely different category of cost.
Old 02-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Ludedude
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car Tech Stuff
Ah you know about that too, eh?
Old 02-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Trefin
Advanced

Race car - Fully stripped down, almost nothing stock left down to the steering wheel and seats being replaced, at this point your car would not be street legal. If you ever want to drive your car on the streets again then keep it somewhere in between.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:43 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by SinisterC6

Hey not everybody's goal are the same, My buddy has a a UGR Lambo has 1800hp has a blast with it, the dam thing went 195 on Miller's front straight.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:51 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

When you reach the bottom of the hill you'll be driving a truck and pulling a trailer behind it.
There is a bottom? I keep buying bigger trailers... which require bigger trucks...
Old 02-18-2013, 08:05 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

195 mph ? hmm

Been 170 something? in a ZR1 and 200 in a DEI Cup car at Telidaga several years ago. Think I pass on that again.

Rather take corners 5-7 mph faster then a street car, and a few mph faster then the next guy.

My cars not beat to chit and go home to my family. vs being the fastest on a straight a way. Guess I am getting old.

Get notified of new replies

To Street car vs race car

Old 02-18-2013, 10:53 AM
mesospeedy
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I read about the UGR Lambo on this forum at first I thought maybe it was a kit car like a GTM etc. Then I searched an found they are actual Lamborghinis that have been modded. So my question is, how many of these things are you actually gonna see at the track? It takes some coin to afford a Lamborghini and then add a $35k turbo kit to it, can't be that many running around could it? Also, to use a Top Gear quote, a person's driving ability doesn't necessarily increase with the size of their wallet! A "slower" car with a better driver can possibly kill these cars in the corners, of course if they have enough straight away you'd be SOL. This is just my opinion, and I mean no disrespect to the OP with what I have stated above. My advice is leave the car alone as far as airbags, ac etc. Add a cage and the 1000+hp and good tires. With the 1500 or so poneys you want on tap, you'll never notice 150 extra pounds! Most Lambos aren't less than 3500lbs anyway. A lighter car won't help traction either, hard to even the odds with a rwd vs awd (although I prefer rwd). Like I said, just my 2 cents, and that's about all it's worth haha!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Bill32
Melting Slicks

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
195 mph ? hmm

Rather take corners 5-7 mph faster then a street car, and a few mph faster then the next guy.
Notice how with these big horse cars, it's always "It hit blah,blah on the straight." ?

Then they never mention laptimes.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:47 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Bill32
Notice how with these big horse cars, it's always "It hit blah,blah on the straight." ?

Then they never mention laptimes.

Bill, we all started there. Then a little <koff> "agriculture" experiences, and maybe a tire wall or two, brings us back to reality. Hopefully not too big of Hospital bills or too many broken bones.

the amount I have put into my car, Looking at prebuilt race cars and turn mine back into a street car.

Quick Reply: Street car vs race car