Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPMS reset not working and have a track day tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2012, 06:35 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS reset not working and have a track day tomorrow

So I just bought CCW Wheels with tpms wrapped in kumho v710s and through them on for a track day tomorrow. I have a 2012 Grand Sport.

I put the car in accessory mode, hold down the lock and unlock buttons until the car beeps. I went to the front left tire and pressed learn, I get a beep. Same thing with front right. I go to rear right, and nothing happens. I've even taken the car of out accessory mode, back in to accessory to restart the process, and now I don't get any beeps, regardless of whether I try and start over by going to front left wheel or the right rear wheel where I left off.

What do I do? I'm going to be screwed for tomorrow if I can fix this. Either that, or I have to throw my street tires back on and hope I can reset those.
Old 12-14-2012, 06:47 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

You can bleed air out of the tires to get a beep. I think it's 5psi up or down. Otherwise it's a defective or missing TPMS sensor. Hope you can get it fixed for MSR 3.1 tomorrow. Awesome configuration!
Old 12-14-2012, 07:07 PM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Give me a buzz at the shop if you need help..

Might want to drive the car around the block in case the sensors shut off, might need to 're-activate' them so to speak.

972-429-1963
Old 12-14-2012, 08:22 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys. Finally got it to work. At Anthony's suggestion, I drove the car around for a while and tried the reset again, this time parked a good 30 feet away from my OEM wheels in case there was interference. No luck. After trying repeatedly, I was also getting a low battery light. Ran down the street and put in a new battery. The rear right took several times but it paired up and rear left picked up immediately. I finally got the magic double honk. What a relief and what a PITA!
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 PM
QUIKAG
Le Mans Master

Received 50 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad you got it programmed!
Old 12-15-2012, 09:01 AM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

what year did they go back to the style of sensor that you can do it yourself (without the tool)?
Old 12-15-2012, 10:20 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
what year did they go back to the style of sensor that you can do it yourself (without the tool)?
2010 and newer cars you can do without the tool.

The Camaro's make it even easier and display it on the dash.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Thanks guys. Finally got it to work. At Anthony's suggestion, I drove the car around for a while and tried the reset again, this time parked a good 30 feet away from my OEM wheels in case there was interference. No luck. After trying repeatedly, I was also getting a low battery light. Ran down the street and put in a new battery. The rear right took several times but it paired up and rear left picked up immediately. I finally got the magic double honk. What a relief and what a PITA!
The experts know, and Anthony is one!

Jim
Old 12-15-2012, 11:06 AM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by davidfarmer
With the 2010 model year they put a different TPMS computer in the car that uses a different sensor than the 2005-2009 C6 uses.

The 2010 model year, and a 2011 built in December 2010 or prior will have the sensors that can be triggered by changing air pressure, or by using a TPMS tool.

Starting in January 2011 they began installing a different sensor (same TPMS, just a different sensor) that can only be triggered by a TPMS tool.

The problem was that a bunch of GM vehicles used that same sensor (Malibu, Impala, HHR, etc.). When they had a couple of those cars in a dealership, if they were programming a new set of sensors into your Vette and put it into the learn mode, if a Tech a couple bays down was simply adjusting air pressure in the tires of a Malibu, that would trigger the Malibu's sensor and the Malibu sensor would be programmed into your Vette's TPMS.

That's why they changed to the black sensor in January 2011.

Here's the sensor that will trigger with a change in air pressure, and you can see the GM part# molded into the case:

Here's the sensor they started installing in January 2011 (GM part# 20925924):

Either sensor will work in a 2010-2013 C6, but only the green one can be triggered by changing air pressure.

So....if you have a 2010 or newer C6 and are getting a second set of sensors, you might want to get the green 15268606 sensors.

There are lots of used ones available on eBay because they have been used on many other vehicles for a number of years - and they're pretty cheap!! They may not be readily available in the GM parts system because they've been superseded by the black sensor.

However, changing air pressure in the tires to trigger the sensor requires you to adjust air pressures after the procedure, so using a tool will be quicker and easier.

Bob

Last edited by BEZ06; 12-15-2012 at 11:10 AM.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 PM
TKOGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDFW
Same thing happens with my Katech tool. A new battery and the patience to hold the tool over the sensor for ~ 45 seconds does the trick.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:30 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

wow, then went BACK to the C5 style........ another tech "issue" I hate about most C6's.

Give it a door "****/handle", and "key", and the C6 is easily the best Corvette ever built to date, and likely to ever be built
Old 12-16-2012, 01:58 AM
harrydirty
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TKOGTO
Same thing happens with my Katech tool. A new battery and the patience to hold the tool over the sensor for ~ 45 seconds does the trick.
I use a TIPS tool and found that fresh batteries work best. Batteries that are just a bit old/used that still work well in flashlights and cameras will result in long delays in activating sensors. Sometimes the wait exceeds the cycle period of the tool (+90 seconds ?). Fresh batteries results in activation times of 3 - 20 seconds.

Just a tip: sometimes when a particular sensor does not activate, I move on to the next sensor and then come back to it. Sometimes it works better when trying to activate after a short wait. I know that it will mess up the matchup of psi data to the correct wheel position, but that is not a big deal.
Old 12-16-2012, 02:18 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Thanks again to Anthony at LG for helping me troubleshoot via phone call on a Friday night. What other shop would do that?

As a follow up, I had the same issue getting TPMS to reset after putting my street wheels/tires back on last night. The left rear sensor (which is the last one you pair) wouldn't pick up. I finally drove the car around and parked in an open area, and they all paired up. Can't help but wonder if something in my garage was causing interference. Resetting worked a lot easier in an open area with a fresh battery. If anyone else has the same issue, give that a try and maybe it will help.

FYI this is the reset tool I got from TireRack:

http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...&affiliate=FW9
Old 12-16-2012, 02:31 PM
von zoom
Instructor

BEZ06 is a great source of info. He helped me a lot, and sent me the green sensors for my 2010 Z06 for my new CCW rims.
Thanks Bob.
vz
Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

He sent me a PM with his number offering to help, but I was already on the phone with Anthony from LG. I'm lucky to have guys like you around!

On another note, thanks to Keith Verges for having us out for a member day last Saturday on the 3.1 Mile at MSR in Cresson. This was my first time on the 3.1 and my first time on R Comps. Quite a learning experience. Here are 4 of my laps that were each below 2:30 without traffic. Last lap in this video was 2:27.1, which I equalled again later in the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbLhBHE_Q9w
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM
jsilvz
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You made it look easy!! How did the new tires old up?
Old 12-16-2012, 10:29 PM
MarkDFW
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jsilvz
You made it look easy!! How did the new tires old up?
They held up well. People warned me that R comps are worse than street tires on the track until they get hot, and they are absolutely right! They needed a lap to get warm and another to get hot, then you can really rip on them. That video starts on my third lap. I have heard a few people suggest the v710 is a decent Autocross tire. While I have never autocrossed, I would think it is an absolutely lousy tire for autoX. It isn't sticky fast enough for that.

I drove them to the track and back home with no issues. 4 sessions plus the drive there and back is 6 heat cycles. I will run them until they cord to get my $$ worth, then probably buy scrubs to manage cost. I can't see spending $1,500 or more for new Hoosiers when I am not actually racing.

Get notified of new replies

To TPMS reset not working and have a track day tomorrow

Quick Reply: TPMS reset not working and have a track day tomorrow