Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Different pads front and rear...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 04:18 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Different pads front and rear...

Anyone have any problems running hpde events with different pads front and rear?

Example, I blew through my carbotechs and need another front set and rear set. However I already have a new set of hawk dtc-60s for the rears sitting in the garage. My plan, unless its not a good idea, is use xp10s upfront and then the dtc-60s in the rear. Some have said not to flip flop companies because the bites maybe different...

Thoughts?
Old 10-30-2012, 05:11 PM
argonaut
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm currently using Wilwood H on the rear and Feroddo DS1.11 on the front. I've done three track days like this and rather like it. Your proposed combo should work fine.
Old 10-30-2012, 05:20 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

You shouldn't have any problems at all.

I looked in your profile to get some info about your car, but there's nothing there.

If you have a C6 the DRP/EBD will take care of front/rear bias for any very slight different initial bite.

I don't know about the C5, but I'm sure that has some auto bias feature that will take care of slight differences.

I've run both those compounds (but not together) and they both are great. My experience is that they both bite about the same, modulate about the same, and I don't think they'll give you any problem.

Just MHO, YMMV!

Bob
Old 10-30-2012, 05:53 PM
spazegun2213
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06

I don't know about the C5, but I'm sure that has some auto bias feature that will take care of slight differences.
Not really, which is why I run different pads f/r. I run 70's in the front and 60's in the rear.. its personal preference though

but to the OP, running different pads is not going to hurt. Just remember that the compounds will react differently (eg initial bite, sustained bite at temperature, etc).
Old 10-30-2012, 06:03 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 833 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by spazegun2213
Not really, which is why I run different pads f/r. I run 70's in the front and 60's in the rear.....
In my C6 Z06 I run either DTC70 front and 60 rear, or XP12 front and XP10 rear.

But not because the automatic bias feature in the C6 can't handle it, but because the fronts just do a whole lot more work and get a lot hotter.

I don't think the different Hawk compounds have different temp operating ranges, but the Carbotech XP12 will definitely tolerate a lot more heat and both the low end and high end of their range is greater than the XP10, and because the rears dont heat up as much as the fronts the XP10 will work satisfactorily at a lower temp than the XP12's on the front.

So, it's simply to use a compound that will be in its temp operating range - which is hotter up front than in the rear.

Bob
Old 10-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Toilets
Drifting

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by BEZ06
You shouldn't have any problems at all.

I looked in your profile to get some info about your car, but there's nothing there.

If you have a C6 the DRP/EBD will take care of front/rear bias for any very slight different initial bite.

I've run both those compounds (but not together) and they both are great. My experience is that they both bite about the same, modulate about the same, and I don't think they'll give you any problem.

Just MHO, YMMV!

Bob

Sorry, it's a 2012 centennial GS.

Yeah, my concern was the bite. For example I'm not sure if the dtc-60s are comparable to the carbotechs xp8s and if so do they play nice with others ie the carbo xp10s?

Get notified of new replies

To Different pads front and rear...

Quick Reply: Different pads front and rear...