Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cooling problems with 2008 C6 Z51 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 12:36 PM
UncleRobb
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cooling problems with 2008 C6 Z51 automatic

In order to reduce the temperatures of the engine and transmission oil – on the Nurburgring Northloop, I reach up to 311 and 268 °F, respectively – I replaced the engine oil cooler by a bigger version and put an additional heat exchanger for the transmission oil in line with the one built-in. Here is the view from below:

On the left there is the bottom of the engine oil cooler with the connecting tubes. It is a 16 row version from Racimex. Here is the front view:

The heat exchanger to the right is made by Setrab and it is supposed to be equivalent to a 16 row (air) cooler:

With this setup the temperatures of the engine and the transmission oil are reduced by 30, respectively 10 °F. I wonder if the cooler and the heat exchanger are incorrectly mounted as the connectors might have to point upwards. Otherwise a large amount of air might stay within the housings.

The engine oil cooler likely would continue to work since the high pressure (about 3 bar) would compress the enclosed air to 1/3 of its volume. The heat exchanger, however, might only be half filled with oil which would explain its rather low cooling power. As we all know, it is not easy to install additional coolers in a Corvette (unless one allows for spoiling the excellent aerodynamics) since the intake openings are rather small, and the unused space in the front is quite limited.

Could somebody please tell me if this installation is correct or not?

Thanks, Robert

Quick Reply: Cooling problems with 2008 C6 Z51 automatic