Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jumped ship, building a BMW race car, I hope I am still welcome here!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:52 PM
VGLNTE1
Le Mans Master

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15

Heck no man! I have a e46 m3 and love it. This forum is for racing, not what car ya got. :-)
Old 07-09-2012, 10:58 PM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

"Wait... are you related to Jim and John Khoury"

I recall the name but deal with hundreds of people a week, not related, not that I know of

--------------------------------------------------

No ABS for now, did not want the 3 channel setup but looking into Motorsports ABS/Traction Control for a future upgrade, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$

We are going to set the car up well enough to not really need ABS unless I want to go after a title. Cockpit brake bias, superb brakes, suspension fine tuned, ramp LSD, lots of downforce, we will be OK at leat for awhile

Pictures, I seldom post pictures as spend most of my life on a computer but we will be posting some of the car soon.

996 is an easier target, 997, what do they cost to buy and run, damn well better be fast for that kind of money.

Actually I do not have a specific target except to be the best build car in the classes I would compete in, if I chose to compete.

Seam welding and weight reduction is 95% done, starting the gussets for the cage now. I wish I had a structural engineer neighbor, so many ways to do this, we want the best and lowest possible weight while doing so. I graduated high school with a less than 2.0 GPA because I liked to party to much, did a few college courses, got bored, lots of Military schools, worked on insanely complex electronics systems but not engineering.

I can design and build a house from the ground up but doing the best cage possible, maybe not though sure trying and it will be dang good.

Anybody in Utah like great beer and want to come out to give some advice???

Thanks
Rick
Old 07-10-2012, 11:28 AM
0RAAMaudio
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

We had a Miata, fun but tiny and did not fee entirely safe in traffic, traded for the C6 Vert, highly modified it with plans for some serious track time but realized I could not buy a decent roll bar for it. I spend about 50 hours on a design, finally sorted it out but never go around to building it.

In the mean time I was working on a race Vette, had a very built and faster than most might think possible Scion tC I was building a big turbo system for to make it even faster and bought an 02 Miata for an LS6 swap, all with my sweet wife's blessings, how cool is that

Then she wanted a dog, got an Akita pup, it got a bit bigger and needed a playmate so we got an Irish Wolfhound. Not thinking about every aspect of having two huge dogs I would fall in love with, they travel with us nearly everywhere and bring great joy to everyone they meet......we just never used the Vert any longer.

I sold the Scion, Miata chassis and parted the race Vette and bought a 53 Studebaker body for it. Planned to stretch the chassis, add a back seat for the dogs, pro tour build and go have some fun but it is for sale to the right buyer, if not sold I might build it when we are done touring around.

I had never owned a BMW, my son has bugged me for years to build one so I decided to do it together with him. Now I am neck deep into the M3, going to be a very fast car and should be fairly reasonable cost wise to run it.

Looking at E46 330ci, M3, Mini, even Fiat 500 cars, manual trans only as my wife does not like autos, so we can remodel the back seat to fit our dogs so they can go with us, basically giving up my beloved C6 vert to get a car for us and the dogs but they are worth it.

I can get a really clean one of the first three on that list for a very good price. The Fiat would have to be the Abarth then buy a wrecked soft top one and make the only soft top Abarth out of it, my wife likes that idea the best, the E46 next best. (Our Irish Wolfhound is not a huge one, only going to max out around 120 lbs

Once my business sells we are going to tour all over NA to see all the landmarks, special places, museums, and I get to drive on all the tracks of my dreams in the M3, my wife is looking forward to the trip and wants to drive on at least some of the tracks as well

During this time frame I had an 07 LTD Tundra 5.7, loved it, traded for a GMC new model dually as I was going to tow two Vettes around, realized I did not need that truck as changed plans, traded for a smaller Duramax, looking at Motor homes and an aluminum stacker now. With that combo we can have a mini shop, grocery getter vert and the race car and will be far more comfortable than a race trailer with living quarters. I have not given up on finding a really great race trailer with qtrs but nothing I have found is suitable so far so motor home is probably what we have to go with. We do not car for Super C, Semi truck cab motorhomes, etc, not enough windows to look out of and we can get a big motor home for much less money.

Point is????? How would I know

My wife has been incredibly patient and supportive in all this, I guess I was going through some sort of life change as I had never went through vehicles and plans like this before now. I wore myself out on it, now making final decisions then going to stick with it, it was fun though costly and a bit stressful at times and left me without much sleep a few to many times working on all this stuff. Time to slow down, have some fun outside the shop!

I hope to meet as many of you as I can during our travels, I might seem less nuts in person than this post could make me seem to be

Rick

Quick Reply: Jumped ship, building a BMW race car, I hope I am still welcome here!