Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions for NCM VIR HPDE in 2013

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 05:30 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
and no painting cars like ambulances.
uh oh, I'm getting Cannonball Run vibrations now.
Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 PM
Painrace
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 63 Likes on 48 Posts

[QUOTE=rocsvette;1583592432]are you offering to drive?

What ever you and Tom need, pal!

Jim
Old 04-11-2013, 07:22 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Few years ago in NASA SE there was a BMW painted black and white with a big star on the side. On the cool down lap he turned on the blue lights and siren.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:13 AM
ErnieN85
Safety Car

Received 269 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
Few years ago in NASA SE there was a BMW painted black and white with a big star on the side. On the cool down lap he turned on the blue lights and siren.
sounds like this event should have been april 1
Old 06-26-2013, 02:57 PM
PatZ06
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ncm hpde @ vir

Just finished up the event. The nicest thing about the event was having professional drivers taking you for 3 laps to show you what your Vette is capable of. Best $30 I ever spent.

Down side - Black Flags. Other organizations use Hot Pulls. There is no reason for the entire group to be Black Flagged because 1 car broke down on one section of the 3.5 mile track. But the Yellow out before where the car is and a White to let them know a safety truck is on course and let us enjoy the rest of the 3.5 miles. 3 times in 2 days we got Black flagged and only got 3 laps out of a 20 minute session. Bummed out an otherwise good event.
Old 06-26-2013, 04:58 PM
rocsvette
Pro

Received 165 Likes on 95 Posts

As we have often mention the NCM is not an empty corporation, it has substantial fixed solid assets and different insurance and safety concerns and restrictions.

We have always said we will not play fast and loose with safety, other groups do many things that we don't. We get a lot of newbies just because they know we work to keep them safe.

The mechanical issues are unfortunate but the overly aggressive driving was pretty bad.
Old 06-26-2013, 05:18 PM
1ED1
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

To me it's more about being there and meeting new friends. I can go to any event and run laps but to talk to people that you only know on line is the biggest part of the weekend for me, but I have been doing this for over 35 years. I do understand how missing laps is important to people. Thanks to all for a great 2 days.

Ed
Old 06-26-2013, 05:19 PM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by PatZ06
Just finished up the event. The nicest thing about the event was having professional drivers taking you for 3 laps to show you what your Vette is capable of. Best $30 I ever spent.

Down side - Black Flags. Other organizations use Hot Pulls. There is no reason for the entire group to be Black Flagged because 1 car broke down on one section of the 3.5 mile track. But the Yellow out before where the car is and a White to let them know a safety truck is on course and let us enjoy the rest of the 3.5 miles. 3 times in 2 days we got Black flagged and only got 3 laps out of a 20 minute session. Bummed out an otherwise good event.
Not any more. Hot pulls are ONLY FOR RACE events. per Grid Marshals Billy and Bent. Liability is too great for HOT PULLS in HPDEs
Old 06-26-2013, 08:07 PM
757missy
Heel & Toe

Default Vir 2013

Feel Roc and all did a great job again this year. No small task to put on. You keep the energy up and make people want to come back to the "dark side"
Old 06-26-2013, 08:09 PM
dvandentop
Race Director

Received 583 Likes on 242 Posts

hot pulls?? pulling into grid during the session i am assuming??
Old 06-26-2013, 08:25 PM
BEZ06
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 835 Likes on 595 Posts

Originally Posted by dvandentop
hot pulls?? pulling into grid during the session i am assuming??
I think they're talking about towing a car off the track while the track remains hot and the cars just go dodging around the tow vehicle at race speed!!!

Bob
Old 06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
kenw
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

This was my 7th year attending this event and once again thanks to Roc, Tom and the many others who work so hard to make this event great. As always Chuck is the best in the classroom.

Every year I make new friends and greet old ones and this year was no different.

We lost quite a bit of time off our sessions in the Blue this year but safety is more important. My heart goes out to the guys with blown motors and a few scrapes but we are not out for a Sunday drive now are we and things happen.

It was great to see the C7's and appreciated Art's educating all who wanted information.

Suggestions---

I agree with the cook-out, sounds fun.

For me the two days is plenty and if you decide on 3 please make allowances for 2 or 3 if possible.

I would pay more to have it on a weekend.

Thanks again for another great year, Ken Williams
Old 06-26-2013, 09:38 PM
dmyers
Racer

Location: A place where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

This was my first event and I had a really good time, met a lot of nice people and learned a lot. Thanks to all who were responsible for pulling this off.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 AM
sothpaw2
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kenw
This was my 7th year attending this event and once again thanks to Roc, Tom and the many others who work so hard to make this event great. As always Chuck is the best in the classroom.

We lost quite a bit of time off our sessions in the Blue this year but safety is more important. My heart goes out to the guys with blown motors and a few scrapes but we are not out for a Sunday drive now are we and things happen.

Thanks again for another great year, Ken Williams
Sorry to hear about Blue group. Last year, they lost about 3 full sessions of time. It's hard on everyone when somene oils down the track. That was the end of our driving last year.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:20 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 1ED1
To me it's more about being there and meeting new friends. I can go to any event and run laps but to talk to people that you only know on line is the biggest part of the weekend for me, but I have been doing this for over 35 years. I do understand how missing laps is important to people. Thanks to all for a great 2 days.

Ed

And I'll add the wife's

I didn't bring a car - just took three days off work to come out and instruct. The wife had a great time helping out in the NCM store.
We do this every year because I love instructing and the wife loves helping in the store. Maybe my car will be ready next year
Even if it isn't we'll be back!

Those of you complaining about the black flags - Did you really look at where the oil dry had to go??? Did you look at the "impact" area where they had to drag cars from?
Sheesssshhhh, even a race would have been at least RED flagged for most of the incidents. I personally thought the track personell did a fantastic job keeping us all safe over the two days.

Congratulations Roc and team for putting on another great event. Maybe things won't be crazy next year and I can make it to Sebring and VIR
Old 06-27-2013, 09:54 AM
z060ntrack
Drifting

Great event; thanks Roc.

As for any suggestions; I have to say this is the first event ever (in 50) that at the drivers meeting, that the Chief Stewart didn't address the drivers about track rules and flags. Luckily, most in the Black and Red groups new what was going on.
Old 06-27-2013, 10:07 AM
Flying24
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992

Those of you complaining about the black flags - Did you really look at where the oil dry had to go??? Did you look at the "impact" area where they had to drag cars from?
Sheesssshhhh, even a race would have been at least RED flagged for most of the incidents. I personally thought the track personell did a fantastic job keeping us all safe over the two days.
I totally agree with you, otherwise it would have affect additional groups. I don't have a sponsor on the side of my car. I want to be able race another day. Track personnel were extremely valuable to all, Thank you

Get notified of new replies

To Suggestions for NCM VIR HPDE in 2013

Old 06-27-2013, 11:10 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jaa1992
Sheesssshhhh, even a race would have been at least RED flagged for most of the incidents.
Not if it's NASA-SE.
Old 06-27-2013, 11:15 AM
SouthernSon
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,106 Likes on 720 Posts

That oil dry seemed to cover a good bit of the rise at the end of the braking zone on the back straight. Did that car continue over the rise and straight into the tire wall to the left? Driver OK?
Old 06-27-2013, 01:21 PM
VatorMan
Team Owner

Received 44 Likes on 27 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06-'10-'11, '15

Originally Posted by SouthernSon
That oil dry seemed to cover a good bit of the rise at the end of the braking zone on the back straight. Did that car continue over the rise and straight into the tire wall to the left? Driver OK?
He's OK. He didn't hit the tire wall-just damn close. His Z06 blew up and caught on fire. His video was pretty wild.

Quick Reply: Suggestions for NCM VIR HPDE in 2013