Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corvette FTW , Optima OUSCI on SPEED today

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 09:24 AM
RAFTRACER
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I ever start autographing my car, somebody shoot me.....
Old 03-01-2012, 11:23 PM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Finally finished watching this. Was great to see you smoking everyone by out DRIVING them. And to see Callaway come through like a true grassroots co-opetition guy was great. Stuff like that happens every weekend in every paddock and it never gets enough press. The Thrash. We've all been there and it makes it that much sweeter afterward.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Wonder how many cars will show up with hired finds behind the wheel next year?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Jason
Team Owner

CI 4-5-6-7 Veteran

Finds = guns
damnyouautocorrect
Old 03-02-2012, 12:58 AM
camcojb
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
Wonder how many cars will show up with hired finds behind the wheel next year?
only the car owner or builder (must have done 70% + of the mods to the car) can qualify. No pro drivers. Apparently Danny met the 70% qualification since it wasn't his car.

10) The registered owner or builder of record must drive the vehicle during all events. Builder of record must be an identified individual that is not a professional driver. Builders of record must be identified and approved by OPTIMA before 10/15/2010. No competitive professional drivers will be allowed to compete for awards or the Ultimate Street Car title. As a rule of thumb, the builder of record must have had responsibility for at least 70% of all modifications to the vehicle. A painter, suspension tuner or motor builder is not considered to be a builder of record if they performed only those specific duties on the vehicle. A person who completed ALL of those duties may be considered the builder of record. If the owner of the vehicle is the person who contracted the build through many vendors then the owner is the builder of record. Typically the only person who qualifies as the builder of record is the owner or manager of a shop who modified the vehicle into its current condition from the condition in which it was purchased.
Old 03-02-2012, 03:11 PM
96z28ss
8th Gear

Congrats on the win.
So will you be defending your title this year?
Final Standings
1. Danny Popp, #14 (80)
2. Mark Stielow, #01 (80)
3. Brian Hobaugh, #47 (72)
4. Gary Rubio, #34 (63)
5. Mary Pozzi, #15 (62)
6. Brian Finch, #11 (58)
7. Mike Maier, #50 (57)
8. Pete Callaway, #45 (50)
9. Filip Trojanek, #44 (49)
10. Kyle Tucker, #13 (42)

So it came to a tie breaker?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:19 PM
apexman
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats! I really enjoyed seeing the cars race like they should be. My first car was a '70 Firebird 4spd. and my second was a '67 RS Camaro. I really liked seeing the old cars run. Todd's Corvette looks like alot of fun to drive for sure.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:48 PM
Beach Cruiser
Instructor

Hey guys,
I just found this thread through a link on one of the "old car" forums. I've been on this forum for quite a while, mostly lurking or buying selling parts for my build. I am a Corvette owner (C6 Z51 Vert), so I'm not a poser!
I'm in the last stages of building a 67 Rally Sport with C5/C4 front/rear suspension, and an LS6 powertrain.
I just wanted to say congrates to Danny! I enjoyed watching the show and perhaps one day I'll be invited! (not likely, but one can hope!)
As a member of the pro touring community, I think it's cool that most of the top 10 cars are "old cars" just goes to show you why we do what we do, kinda like a wolf in sheeps clothes. I have no issue with a late model vette taking the top spot, it's really a run what was invited event, and you had to qualify, then be selected. You also have to understand that the Red 69 was sporting an LS7 with an LS9 supercharger, and the owner/driver has just about as much track time as Danny so it was no easy victory for Danny.
If anyone is going to VIR for the March NASA event, you can look me up in my Blue WS6, It's assured that I'll have beers in my Cooler! Let's see, 4th Gen "Mullet" car, "old car" and "Chick's Corvette" that really does make me a Poser huh?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:38 AM
StArrow68
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Great Job

Just caught a rerun on Speed this past weekend and what great Corvette fun. A must see for anyone who has enjoyed the track in the past. My wife asked who this guy 'Popp' was, and I replied just a living legend among those who track Corvettes. Just glad I got to track my C5 coupe for a few years, instructed some for NASA and did the first western event for the Museum at Spring Mt. back in '07. Might even get me to scrounge a ticket to SEMA next year. Thanks to all those that supported Danny.

Originally Posted by RAFTRACER
Thanks everyone, that was fun. Glad we could respesent the Corvette community and this board !! My pleasure for sure.

FWIW, early in the year I did a magazine shoot with all of those old Pro-Touring cars. I was the test driver for the shoot-out and ran all of the cars on the autocross course. I also had Todd's car there and ran it. Dont think because the cars are old that they are slow....I was faster in 3 of the old Pro-touring cars than I was in Todd C6Z We fixed some of the "street tire" manners in Todds car since then, but those old cars are FAST, kid yourself not....... The Detroit Speed cars utilize alot of C5/C6 front suspension pieces and geometery. Probably because the owners were on the C5 chassis developement team way back when.

The event was fun , but I found out that I am not personally LasVegas approved....wow is there some weird stuff that happens out there

Many thanks to all of the sponsors and people that helped with this effort. I would like to thank EVERYONE personally for their contribution to the result.

Todd Rumpke
McCluskey Chevrolet
ERL
HAWK brake
Pfadt Race Engineering
Detroit Speed
LG Motorsports
Michelin Tires
BF Goodrich tires
Forgeline
Van Steel
QuarterMaster
VBP
10/10ths Motorsports
Beastworkz
GoodAero
Callaway cars
Rumpke Waste Management

GREAT RESULTS ARE MORE EASILY ACCOMPLISHED THROUGH THE EFFORTS OF MANY !! Thanks !!

Last edited by StArrow68; 03-14-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Corvette FTW , Optima OUSCI on SPEED today