Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track prep my Z06 carbon ...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 05:03 PM
davidfarmer
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 711 Likes on 492 Posts

I know the brakes perform, as I have driven on them. I just haven't heard any real world feedback about life expectancy and maintenance costs.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:29 PM
mikymu
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by travisnd
What color is that? Don't think I've ever seen an metallic orange 996. Is it a custom repaint? Factory paint to order option? Looks great

A buddy of mine had one of the special edition 987 Boxster Ss that came in Orange, but it was the GT-3 orange with no metallic.
It's a cutom paint color and I don't know the name of the color. Pretty stunning when you see it in person

Originally Posted by Werks
Nice looking car My Carbon Ed is also in the process of being built right now and the first thing that I did was the clear bra too. On mine though I went with RaceTech 4900W seats as it's a dual use car so the head restraint portion obstructs view a little too much. Full compliment of Pfat parts, LG drop spindles etc. etc but I passed on the cage. Once we get a little closer to completion I'll see if we can get the builder to put up a thread on it so you can take a look!
Sound great. Will you make it out to the track at either Thunderhill or Laguna Seca?

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Wow, you have more patience than I. .

Let's see some pics with the new rollers on it. Should be landing at your house shortly.
Thanks. Can't wit to get the forgeline GA3R!
Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 PM
gp2race
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '12
Default Brake pads for Z06

I'm currently using Carbotech Xp10 and Xp8 rear. I done 6k miles on the street and 3 track events and so far they hold up very well with DBA 4000 series rotors with no fade at speeds of 130 plus 20 minute sessions at Thunderhill, Buttonwillow and Infineon. Like to mention that Pfadt new Featherlite coilover are amazing for track and street comfort- handling.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:14 PM
Werks
Drifting

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by mikymu
Sound great. Will you make it out to the track at either Thunderhill or Laguna Seca?
I'm a Nor Cal guy so it will probably be Thunderhill, Buttonwillow & Infineon. When I was younger and thought I was immortal I used to race bikes back when Buttonwillow & Thunderhill were first built and Infineon was still Sear Point but I'm new to running cars on these tracks so I'm sure I'll be a scrub and won't do the equipment justice for a while lol. Either way though I've always felt that half the fun is building the stuff and when it comes to bang for your buck I do not think that you can find a better base to build on than the vette.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:22 PM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

I will be happy to help on brake pads if you need. Nice cars
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 12-30-2011, 11:09 PM
taken19
Track Junky

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
Tech Contributor

Out of curiosity, where can you get this stuff and what is the cost? I have been using blue painters tape on the nose and mirrorw, but it looks like crap on a DSOM car...
Old 12-31-2011, 01:29 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by gp2race
I'm currently using Carbotech Xp10 and Xp8 rear. I done 6k miles on the street and 3 track events and so far they hold up very well with DBA 4000 series rotors with no fade at speeds of 130 plus 20 minute sessions at Thunderhill, Buttonwillow and Infineon. Like to mention that Pfadt new Featherlite coilover are amazing for track and street comfort- handling.
Hope my ceremic brakes will hold up for track duty so I don't have to do another steel brake transformation ke what I did on my GT3 RS

Originally Posted by Werks
I'm a Nor Cal guy so it will probably be Thunderhill, Buttonwillow & Infineon. When I was younger and thought I was immortal I used to race bikes back when Buttonwillow & Thunderhill were first built and Infineon was still Sear Point but I'm new to running cars on these tracks so I'm sure I'll be a scrub and won't do the equipment justice for a while lol. Either way though I've always felt that half the fun is building the stuff and when it comes to bang for your buck I do not think that you can find a better base to build on than the vette.
You are still immortal but wiser with age. Hope to see you on track one of these days. I will be chasing Gordon's yellow Z06 either with my GT3 Cup or Z06. It's going to be a fun season

Originally Posted by taken19
Out of curiosity, where can you get this stuff and what is the cost? I have been using blue painters tape on the nose and mirrorw, but it looks like crap on a DSOM car...
Depends on the film you decide to use. Here is Xpel's website: http://www.xpel.com/
When Avery nano films was availabe I use star shield to order films http://www.starshieldarmor.com/ Since Avery nano is not available you can order 3M film from star shield. There are many other vendors out there depends on your location. Buying bulk (50+ feet roll) can be 3-4 X cheaper than buying them by the foot. I usually calculate what I need and just get one larger size and cut to fit as to save on film cost.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:30 AM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by carbotech adam
I will be happy to help on brake pads if you need. Nice cars
Thanks! I am new to Z06 so will learn what these brakes offer on track ... hope they hold up. That reminds me, I need to change out the brake fluid and coolant to water wetter
Old 12-31-2011, 01:00 PM
longdaddy
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i feel dirty asking this in A&R forum, but do you care to share your impressions on xpel film install since it sounds like you used other brands as well?

I did 3M and venture shield pieces before (mostly custom cut for places that got hit on the track), and about to start custom cutting and installing a few pieces on the ACR and decided to go w Xpel this time. Any gotchas/tricks etc specific to this film?
Old 12-31-2011, 01:59 PM
z06801
Melting Slicks

Received 296 Likes on 201 Posts

wow, my two dream cars in one garage, I kinda of have the same just they are both 10 years older
Old 12-31-2011, 02:58 PM
mikymu
Pro

Originally Posted by longdaddy
i feel dirty asking this in A&R forum, but do you care to share your impressions on xpel film install since it sounds like you used other brands as well?

I did 3M and venture shield pieces before (mostly custom cut for places that got hit on the track), and about to start custom cutting and installing a few pieces on the ACR and decided to go w Xpel this time. Any gotchas/tricks etc specific to this film?
Feel dirty? Why? it's a legitimate question

Xpel film is harder to work with compare with Avery. Adhesive separate from the film in large blutches when you have one section sort of grabbing and stretch the other end. it's pretty tricky to work with. Avery is the easiest film to work with. 3M is just tough and very hard to stretch with very bad orange peel. 3M's adhesive also separate and form unsighly blotches when you stretch it. I will do a detail post on clearn fim application 101 and will compare different film quality at that time

Originally Posted by z06801
wow, my two dream cars in one garage, I kinda of have the same just they are both 10 years older
Thanks. These are classic racers and been battling eachother hard on the race track around the world. Fun to see them sitting next to each other ... peacefully
Old 01-02-2012, 10:13 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by mikymu
Hope my ceremic brakes will hold up for track duty so I don't have to do another steel brake transformation ke what I did on my GT3 RS

Make sure they get bedded in. So far we are on season two of street and track use with our shop ZR1 and the brakes are still going just fine. The bedding process is a very big step that has to be done with those.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:11 AM
mikymu
Pro

More ammo arrived today

LG 1 3/4" long tube exhaust

Forgeline GA3R. These wheels are amazing! 20 lbs front and 22 lbs rear. Even my kids are shocked lol

Bolts only between the spokes ... to save more weight?

Light weight 3 piece bling! 18X 10.5 front and 18X12.5 rear to fit the ceremic rotors. Sticky donuts coming soon

Last edited by mikymu; 01-13-2012 at 05:22 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:03 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,803 Likes on 1,143 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Make sure they get bedded in. So far we are on season two of street and track use with our shop ZR1 and the brakes are still going just fine. The bedding process is a very big step that has to be done with those.
Not to be overly pedantic, but Anthony should know better. Bedding is a process done for rotors, burnishing is a process done for brake pads. Bedding needs to be done for iron rotors only: it's the process of transferring some of the pad material onto/into the surface of the iron rotor. Burnishing pads is what you do to prep the pad itself for hot temps.

Bedding material into a carbon ceramic rotor would be very, very bad. You'd destroy the rotor. Instead, follow the instructions in the owners manual for both street and track burnishing the pads. And every time you change the pads, do it again.

jas
Old 01-13-2012, 09:05 AM
travisnd
Safety Car

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Wow those wheel are beautiful. Question. Why'd you go wtih 1 3/4" headers vs. 1 7/8" headers? Most people with the LS7 run 1 7/8".
Old 01-13-2012, 09:43 AM
Z06trackman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Louis @ LG Motorsports
The brakes are phenomenal for track use. Amazing cold bite once burnished, very very low unsprung weight, 4x the life of iron rotors, 2x the life of comparable iron race brake pads, no fade when hot.

The only down side is the initial cost of entry, and maintenance.
Do you mean 4x the life of 1-pc iron rotors, or 4x the life of heat treated, good alloy, 2-pc iron rotors?

Last edited by Z06trackman; 01-13-2012 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
GOTHAM VETTE
Drifting

Sigh, I wanna be rich :o) ....beautiful equipment.....all of it!

Get notified of new replies

To Track prep my Z06 carbon ...

Old 01-13-2012, 09:59 AM
0Anthony @ LGMotorsports
Former Vendor

Received 406 Likes on 300 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13

Originally Posted by jvp
Not to be overly pedantic, but Anthony should know better. Bedding is a process done for rotors, burnishing is a process done for brake pads. Bedding needs to be done for iron rotors only: it's the process of transferring some of the pad material onto/into the surface of the iron rotor. Burnishing pads is what you do to prep the pad itself for hot temps.

Bedding material into a carbon ceramic rotor would be very, very bad. You'd destroy the rotor. Instead, follow the instructions in the owners manual for both street and track burnishing the pads. And every time you change the pads, do it again.

jas

Burnishing.......sorry wrong term, you know the saying...do what I mean, not what I say...or something like that.

But yes, JVP has a nice sticky about this in the ZR1 section.
Old 01-13-2012, 10:01 AM
Falcon
Le Mans Master

Received 54 Likes on 23 Posts

That's some very nice jewelry!

Cute kids!

Looks like they were waiting for toys for them to come out of those boxes, not something for dad.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
gp2race
Pro

St. Jude Donor '12
Default Wheels

WOW!!! nice wheels...what tires are you running? Hoosier? toyo? Michelin?

Quick Reply: Track prep my Z06 carbon ...