Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My XP c4 build is in full swing..build log

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 07:13 AM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Cool! Any reason for going air to water of air to air? Air to water will undouptly weigh more and mena you need a large HE somehwere to!

also if you are air to air and rear mounted rad you can seperate the cooling systems totally! So you can run a monster air to air core and it will not impact the engine cooling.

There was someone on the C4 section with a rear mounted rad. Try and remember who it was and see if they can give you some ideas.

Chris.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:57 PM
wanabgts
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 22 Posts

Alright guys just a small update, I had some time to go to the fab shop and finish a couple small projects. Getting the car ready for the rebuilding stages finally. I removed the passenger floor for exhaust/other components.

Got most of the doors gutted (still need to remove the beams). And cut out a bunch of nick knack stuff that takes forever.

Ill be ordering up some more roll cage tubing and other raw materials in a week or two so we can get cracking on the fab. Hopefully see thins thing start coming together.

Things should start getting more interesting very soon. My buddy Dean at Offroad components where the car resides is finishing up a dessert truck, then its on to my ride inbetween smaller projects.

Thanks,
Zack
Old 03-18-2013, 09:13 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Any updates here? Hasn't been 45 days yet.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:16 PM
wanabgts
Instructor

Sorry guys, life is crazy right now. Just switched jobs and am getting settled in. Been stock piling raw material, hopefully get back to work on it soon! Stay tuned, you will be the first people to know!

Zack
Old 03-26-2013, 08:19 PM
Supercharged111
Safety Car

Received 472 Likes on 349 Posts

Just keep bumping it so the mods don't lock it, unless you're allowed to gravedig your own posts.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:27 PM
wanabgts
Instructor

Thanks for the heads up, ill try to keep you guys updated on the research as well!

Zack
Old 03-27-2013, 05:30 PM
TripleAstyle123
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:25 AM
wanabgts
Instructor

So im not getting much physical work done on the car at the moment, mostly due to time constraints at the fab facility. The research never stops however, most nights im looking for solutions to problems that keep arising as the build progresses.

Because of the engine placement and the size of my intake manifold, I have very little room for accessories. So I have resolved to go with a electric power steering pump and mount it inside the cabin under the passenger side removable panel.

There are a few of these pump out there, the one i picked up is from a toyota mr2. Should make plenty of peak pressure, and it has a pulse-width VSS style inpute wich allows you to control the steering effort based on mph. This should be easy to add into my engine management system, and could be useful even tho I will likely end up just setting it at a specific value.

I have found that more and more race cars are going this route, at they can be mounted remotely and don't run off the engine causing power loss.

http://www.google.com/search?q=elect...86%3B464%3B453

Sorry for the long link, but i didn't want to save pics to photobucket to post here haha.

Ill try and keep posting my research in hopes that people can find some use for the information.

Zack
Old 04-18-2013, 12:12 PM
chuntington101
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 100 Posts

Sounds like a great idea! As you said loads of cars are goin electric power steering these days. Be interesting to see if you canuse the stock rack. Also might be worth looking at an electric rack. Some kit car guys are using these as the don't need a pump / res!
Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 PM
wanabgts
Instructor

I considered going with an entire rack at first, but i already have my custom column and stuff built for the stock rack. Plus the ratio is plenty quick and i have not heard of anyone not being able to make one of these pumps work on a stock rack. Hydraulics are pretty basic lol.

Currently looking for a muffler that fits nicely, so we can make the false floor on the passenger side over it.

Zack
Old 04-26-2013, 11:17 AM
wanabgts
Instructor

Well I got the shocks all picked out for the build last night. Going to end up going with the Bilstein ASN. We run the AN's currently on our v8 rx7, and they have been the best shock on the car to date.

Going with the 4" stroke up front, 5" stroke in the back. All linear valving of course.

Probably end up with 8" springs all around because of my ride height, unfortunately I can't order springs until i get more of an idea of what the thing is going to weight.

Linky to the shocks.....recommend these to ANYONE who wants to build their own race coilover system.

http://fastline-performance.com/shop...es-shocks.html

Zack
Old 04-26-2013, 10:45 PM
rithsleeper
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for updating. I'm rooting for you being a track guy with c4 for de days and race rx7. Keep it going!
Old 04-27-2013, 01:32 AM
wanabgts
Instructor

Not really relevant to the build thread, other than this is my current drive. I co-drive with my best friend, and have been very involved in the build and tuning process. Most of my "educated guesses" come from things i have learned while racing this car. We are quite fast regionally, just don't have the pace for a national run.

LS1 powered 2nd gen rx7.....

I got some vids and pics if you guys decide its relevant haha.

Zack
Old 04-28-2013, 02:34 PM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Awesome RX-7. I'll watch some VIDs of that bad boy. Those rear tires look HUGE, what sizes are y'all running?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:43 PM
wanabgts
Instructor

Thanks! The fronts are 18x10.5 with 285/30-18, rears are 17x10.5 with 315/35-17. We have found that the rear puts down power much better with a 17. And the front had much more transient response with the the short sidewall of the 18.

Couple vids, one is a couple seasons old. The car was down on grip in general, but still fun. Then there is one of us from last year (me on top), we ran IDENTICAL runs down to the hundredth. Pretty cool to see the differences in driving.

Ill dig up some faster runs later on.....

Zack

Quick Reply: My XP c4 build is in full swing..build log