Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track Data Acquisition Software

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 04:58 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Received 179 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Hmm. Maybe I am getting this confused with something else that I couldn't do. Can you only open two sessions at a time?
Yes, you can view 8 laps at the same time. Used to be 6.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:24 AM
RaleighSS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know some people call it a toy but I have loved trackmaster.... I have used it at 3 tracks and seems to be spot on... I do use it on a EVO with bluetooth external receiver. Take a look into it you may be surprised how well it works ....

Last edited by RaleighSS; 10-26-2011 at 06:37 AM.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:47 AM
RoganR
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rfn026
Here's an article I did on data systems last year.

I'm working on a new article for this year. I'm going to put together a system that transmits data and video directly to my driving coach in real time. He can monitor me from any place in the country and offer suggestions. At least that's the plan. He already has several clients he's working with.

Richard Newton
Facebook
That would be something nice. Keep us updated.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:58 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Word on the street from a reliable source is that traqmate will also have a sync with the new GoPro Hero 2 which looks awesome. Details will be released at PRI in early December. I can't wait for that. I love my Contours but cannot pass up something that I don't have to sync manually (even though it only takes a minute).

IMO traqmate is the most polished, user friendly system for beginner to moderate data analysis. Once you get into the heavy stuff you need one of the bigger $$$ systems, but I've looked at the data and gone cross-eyed.
Old 10-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CodeBlack
I'm not sure about connecting through Bluetooth but check out rlc racing and look at the micro pod sport and track commander products. Also their wi fi set up.
RLC has a great Wi-fi connection for the Track Commander. But the last time I checked it they had not released it for the Micro Pod. I have the Micro Pod and the OBDII and analog sensors work great. The software for GPS logging is amazing. Only downside is the set-up is a pain. Fortunately they have through manuals and their customer service is top-knotch.

Originally Posted by seattle_vette
CMS Lap Timer Pro available at the iPhone app store for 14.99 is absolutely amazing. You will need to buy a plug-in gps for $99 plus a $20 mount for the car. That's it. You will get all the same data and hd video as the expensive systems plus you get a free download of the program for your Mac. The best part is that you can bluetooth data to anyone. Actually, I think you can use the new iCloud to exchange data. It is terrific.
I used CMS lap timer until buying the RLC unit. The I-phone app was free. The recorded lap times are inaccurate and inconsistent without an external GPS antenna. I bought a TomTom windshield mount with the antenna (~$60.00 at Best Buy) and it worked great.

The only other direct experience I have is with Racekeeper. It is a good system but I opted for RLC's analog sensor system. Many around here use Traqmate but the software is limted and I do not believe it has an OBDII connection. Bottom line is you will spend a minimum of $1,500 on a decent system to log sensor data and lap information. Add synched video and you are looking at another $1,000 for a system with cameras and recorder.

DO NOT BUY THE INNOVATE OT2. It is crap and Innovate's customer service is terrible. I spent weeks trying to hook up the system on my C6Z06 and got a royal run-around plus "attitude" from their tech support.
Old 10-26-2011, 01:17 PM
sebdavid
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Corvee
Bottom line is you will spend a minimum of $1,500 on a decent system to log sensor data and lap information. Add synched video and you are looking at another $1,000 for a system with cameras and recorder.
Thanks for all the great information. However, I'm not sure the above is true: both the Performance Box (with additional module) and AIM Solo DL can accept sensor data or OBDII connection.

Plus, a small camera like a GoPro HD Hero ($240-300) and Trackvision ($150-250) and you get video overlay. Synchronizing can't be THAT hard!
Old 10-26-2011, 01:59 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

It should be noted that the only data from the car you really need is tps, rpm, brake pressure and steering angle. In my experience, these are the critical inputs (no less will do, though perhaps you can sub in long g for brake pressure if in a temporary bind). The other useful data is from the accelerometers/gps.
You can get all of the above via CAN. You cannot get brake or steering from OBD II. If you have an OBD II car (C5), then you need to either get a logger that can apply math functions to the analog inputs (such as a Race Technology, IQ3/G2X, AIM, Motec, etc) b/c the stock steering angle sensor has two outputs. Or you can add a separate steering angle sensor to work with something that only accepts basic inputs (Traqmate). Brake pressure is a simple add on.

You will probably want to log oil pressure too.

Racekeeper does not offer a dash. You need to use an Iphone (if you have one).
Many add-on dashes do not show useful (i.e. sector) times and deltas or have poor visibility.
Old 10-26-2011, 02:37 PM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by sebdavid
Thanks for all the great information. However, I'm not sure the above is true: both the Performance Box (with additional module) and AIM Solo DL can accept sensor data or OBDII connection.

Plus, a small camera like a GoPro HD Hero ($240-300) and Trackvision ($150-250) and you get video overlay. Synchronizing can't be THAT hard!
I am not that familiar with AIM or Performance box systems but I looked at both awhile back and passed because you do not have all the relevant sensor input of a combination of OBDII and added analog sensors.

I was referring to the cost of a fully synched video system - not manually synched. I have a low-buck Kodak Zi8 digital that works great. full 1080p and 720 high speed and an external mike jack. The only draw back is you have to manually synch which is a pain so more often than not I don't bother with it.

I know cost concerns and went through this process already and there is not an "good cheap" system that is fully functional. You do not want to buy something that is inadequate and it ends up on the shelf.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:27 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by heavychevy
Word on the street from a reliable source is that traqmate will also have a sync with the new GoPro Hero 2 which looks awesome. Details will be released at PRI in early December. I can't wait for that. I love my Contours but cannot pass up something that I don't have to sync manually (even though it only takes a minute).

IMO traqmate is the most polished, user friendly system for beginner to moderate data analysis. Once you get into the heavy stuff you need one of the bigger $$$ systems, but I've looked at the data and gone cross-eyed.
This really seems to be the case but I have heard from some very unhappy customers during my reaserch. Many claim poor customer service and the thing just not working at weird times like it will just stop working for no reason. one guy said it just didn't work for him at autoclub speedway. That was wierd. True false I don't know, those are just things I heard which scare me since my computer ability is very poor.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

On droid the trackmaster and alaprecorder were very wonky. They work then they don't you can't start them with gloves on. Maybe it is my sucky HTC hero phone. I really just want to be able to push a button with gloves on and the thing do its magic and I'd like a predictive laptime in car dash. Who makes that besides trackmate?
Old 10-26-2011, 11:36 PM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

I'm amazed that race-keeper used in grandAm and World challenge don't have a predictive laptimer dash only to rely on someone else's technology Iphone/touch. Maybe i'm really dumb but the latest greatest I touch when first out many years ago did not impress me with it's user friendliness. To have that as my only incar interface with data is a loser for me.

I just bought "The competition data logging manual" by Templeman, hoping to sort some of the DAQ out.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:42 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Race Keeper sponsors the series and I think the only reason that everyone runs it is b/c the orgs use it (w/video) to unwind what happened during incidents.
Teams use "real" data loggers for tuning/driving purposes.

The Templeman book is excellent and features the Race Technology software. You'll need to read it a couple times, but will be much better equipped once you understand all the basics. Required reading...and will open your eyes to how much there is to learn.
Old 10-27-2011, 07:26 AM
heavychevy
Safety Car

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
This really seems to be the case but I have heard from some very unhappy customers during my reaserch. Many claim poor customer service and the thing just not working at weird times like it will just stop working for no reason. one guy said it just didn't work for him at autoclub speedway. That was wierd. True false I don't know, those are just things I heard which scare me since my computer ability is very poor.
I know at least 30 guys who I track with or have shared files with and have never heard of such a thing. The biggest complaint is running out of memory due to having a lot of files saved on the display. That being said, any electronic will have some issue arise, this goes for all units of any kind. And I would bet some of them are user error, for example, mine wouldn't get a GPS signal and it took me a few days to figure out that the gps cord got frayed near the connector point. Similarly I've read about plenty of guys having issues that were brought on by careless installation or letting other people borrow the thing.

I would only be concerned if there were widespread issues, of which I have not seen any.
Old 10-27-2011, 10:11 AM
Corvee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
On droid the trackmaster and alaprecorder were very wonky. They work then they don't you can't start them with gloves on. Maybe it is my sucky HTC hero phone. I really just want to be able to push a button with gloves on and the thing do its magic and I'd like a predictive laptime in car dash. Who makes that besides trackmate?
You can operate the LCD screen on the RLC head units with your gloves on. Once you set the start/finish line and set your splits (optional) you are done, unless you want to scroll through a screen to check a sensor reading.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:01 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by heavychevy
I know at least 30 guys who I track with or have shared files with and have never heard of such a thing.

I would only be concerned if there were widespread issues, of which I have not seen any.
That is good to hear. And for a newbie to DAQ the Templeman book is teaching me alot. On Chapter 2 so far.
Old 10-27-2011, 04:23 PM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

once you get into the book, you will see how important math functions can be.

Last I checked, Traqmate did not offer math functions (or at least anything worthwhile).
Old 10-27-2011, 05:04 PM
heavychevy
Safety Car

I think that's the point, most people with traqmates aren't going to get into the book you are referring to or that deep into analysis. This is still a hobby, so some simplicity will be advantageous for the vast majority of people who drive on the track. Most people just want lap times and comparison with friends and a until that can easily be taken in and out. That's what traqmate is.

The level of data you refer to is for a limited number of individuals.
Old 10-27-2011, 06:51 PM
NVR2L8
Drifting

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
once you get into the book, you will see how important math functions can be.

Last I checked, Traqmate did not offer math functions (or at least anything worthwhile).
The same is true with the Racelogic VBOX. If you are going to get the most out of the system, you may have to "reverse engineer" some data by using the math functions.

One example is the level of brake pressure. Some vehicles may have a CANBus / OBDII signal, but if not, you have to calculate the voltage draw from zero braking to maximum braking, and then perform the calculation. In addition, the math calculation must take into account that there is some voltage at zero braking.

For example, the range of voltage from zero to maximum may be from .5 to 5.0, so the math gets more complicated, and then it can be converted to a bar graph or gauge.

The data options are almost endless, but it can be a lot more complicated than just picking up an RPM signal from the CANBus.

Quick Reply: Track Data Acquisition Software