Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Race Engineering Brings you live Q&A with Racing Legend Johnny O'Connell

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey Johnny,
If you could pick any car/team, other than Corvette of course , to race with, which would it be?
Have you ever raced an LMP, IRL, or F1 car and how does it compare to other cars you've driven?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Whataguy
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 37 Posts

Default Shocks or coilovers

Hi Johnny,
I've got an '05 Vert that I've supercharged and headered and now I want to improve the suspension. I noticed in your Stage 1 package that you use shocks. Would coilovers be overkill or something I might want to go ahead and do now? It's a weekend use street car only, but I love to drive it "spiritedly". Cost is not much of a problem, just don't want to have to do it twice. What's your recommendation? Thanks for your time.
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

After you retire, will you keep your own dedicated track car just for fun? If you did tomorrow, what would that car be?
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jwbert
Hi, Johnny, I've heard the JO Signature susp (shocks and bars) are a great product and a real improvement over stock. How much real imput from you went into the product prior to production or was your endorsement more of a marketing strategy post production?? PS. I have a set on order.We miss seeing you behind the wheel of the C6.R
Great question! I spent two days with the engineers at Pfadt out at Miller Motorsports Park, helping and developing testing the shocks and sway bars. This was in a car that they purchased specifically for this test.

I was extremely involved and specific in what I wanted in the product and am glad that it came out exactly as I intended.

Take a look at the video we did showing the test sessions.

I miss seeing me behind the wheel of C6R too!

Last edited by Johnny O@PfadtRacing; 08-31-2011 at 12:29 PM.
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by el es tu
Being that you were involved with the C6 suspension setup I was wondering about the balance you tried to achieve with the cars.

I noticed that the Z51 and GS cars have more understeer oriented spring rates (relatively speaking), but the base and z06 have more oversteer front to rear spring rates.

Seeing that the z06 and gs share the same sways and tire size, what was the reason for choosing the z51 spring rates for the wide bodied grand sport? Also would the GS shock setup be better on a z51/base model instead of using shocks from the z06?

The zr1 is rumored to use softer springs than the z06 - is this true and do #s exist for the C6 tinkerers out here who like to dial in the suspension a little further?

Finally, the alignment settings - do you have some general personal preferences?

I have been trying to study/ test as much of the suspension as possible to get the best understanding of the dynamics of the platform so any and all input is much appreciated!

Thank you!
Those questions would be better asked of Jim Mero. In my development work with GM I would give suggestions and tell them 'better' or 'worse' but they are the ones to make the final decisions on how the vehicles are most likely to be used.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:29 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Milton Fox
Do you prefer a manual or an automatic for racing/autocross?

And do you believe that advances in technology will eventually eliminate manual shifting in all forms of racing?
I have always preferred a manual. I think technology is great but sadly in my opinion, it has taken away from the athleticism needed to be a driver.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:30 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Drew M
I have a question,

Johnny, as an aspiring pro driver, what were some career decisions you made that you may have been unsure of at the time, but turned out to be the best decision when things started to work out?

(also, you should join the board. the folks are pretty nice)
Drew,

Nothing specific comes to mind but I knew that if I stuck with it good things were sure to happen. Quitting was never an option.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:31 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by BondurantHPD
Johnny,
We here at the school want to know when you're coming back to us!?
Sincerely,
Bob, Pat and all of your past and future Bondurant Students.

Heck, I'm going to see you tomorrow night at the museum!

I look forward to us working together for a long time to come.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by froggy47
Hi Johnny,

Question is how can GM get so much right on a car like Corvette & get it all wrong on the flippin seats, base/option/whatever, they are so awful so far as supporting the driving position, in a car that is otherwise extremely capable.

Thanks & you are doing well as a commentator, keep it up.

Why do you think I moved over to CTS-V? The Recaro seats over there are bitchin'!

I agree with you on the seats, but sadly they don't listen to me on everything.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:35 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by sbracer
Hi Johnny,

1-Which setting do you recommend for track days, stock 06 Z51 with OEM Eagle F1 (currently) & track experience:

All On
Traction CTRL Off
Traction CTRL & Active Off
Competitive Mode - Which does what exactly? Manual is not clear, as it sounds JUST like Traction CNRL Off: "Competitive Driving Mode allows the driver to have full control of the
rear wheels while the Active Handling System helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. The instrument cluster light will not be on. The
Traction Control System will not be operating. Adjust your driving accordingly".

Is there no: Active Off - leaving on Traction CNRL option?

2-And Alignment recommendations (question has been asked). Better yet, a SoCal suspension tuning shop recommendation to install your kit & align properly?

THANKS!!
-Eric
This would be based on your own skill level. When I'm running, I turn everything off, but its never my car and if I wreck I never pay.

So the choice is yours. The safest position for track days would be competitive mode.

Look to Pfadt for these alignment specs. They have a good set up sheet.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:38 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Daytona Bob
Hi Johnny,

I watched a TV show where you and Jimmy Johnson drove Factory Corvettes and the Corvette Race Car. Very Cool!!

Couple of Questions

1. Do you follow Nascar and if so how would you rate the difficulty of a stock car versus other forms of racing?

2. Have you Ever considered driving in any of the Nascar series like a Max Papis or Ron Fellows?

3. Since Joining the GT2 Class are we (Chevrolet) keeping up with Ferrari and other Manufacturers to give Team Corvette the best equipment?

Thanks for your time
1) I do follow NASCAR and obviously the car is extremely difficult to drive and those guys are ALL great drivers

2) Yes I have but sadly the opportunity has never presented itself

3) Yes the team is doing a great job! And are certainly getting the best that Chevrolet has right now. GT2 is perhaps the most competitive series in the world right now.
Drew M
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Drew,

Nothing specific comes to mind but I knew that if I stuck with it good things were sure to happen. Quitting was never an option.

-Johnny
Thanks Johnny.
cor123
Melting Slicks

Received 548 Likes on 347 Posts

Hey Johnny, congratuations on your success with Cadillac racing and am glad to see all those miles on your C5. I remember when you got that car. Hope you are having better luck keeping out those McDonald bags! (Charley)
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Glennm27
I emailed one question in but here is another, not quite as on topic as my other but would only require a short answer:

John, now that you have quite a few races under your belt in the 2011 WC Series, what do you think of Mike Skeen. I really like this guy and what I've seen, he really rocks.

PS: I talked with your good luck charm (the tall blonde Cadillac Flag Girl) at Mid Ohio. She is really awesome and knows her stuff. She sure seemed to help with your luck at Mid-Ohio.
Mike is a really great guy and a great driver. He is certainly doing an awesome job in that Corvette.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
Johnny, please describe your ideal line (incl braking, trail braking) at Mid-Ohio.

Thanks!
My ideal line at Mid Ohio is the fastest one! Come see me next year when we're racing there.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by BobbyTow007
Johnny,
As we all know, you have accomplished many things in your career, but my question is, what would you like to accomplish that you haven't already before you retire from your racing career?
I'd still like to win Daytona, Sebring, and LeMans at least one more time.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:44 PM
Stars_Fan
Safety Car

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

What does GM think about the Corvette beating your Cadillac isn't that the old #28 Corvette?

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Race Engineering Brings you live Q&A with Racing Legend Johnny O'Connell

Old 08-31-2011, 12:45 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by CD
This kind of reminds me of a question. With modern data acquisition, how much input do you guys as the driver really have? I would think that between you and Ron or Olivier or Jan, etc., you all have slightly different feels and styles. Do they tailor the car to each of you? Or set it up for whoever happens to be the hottest shoe on that track? Or just the way that pleases all the drivers equally?
Drivers still have a TON of input as we're the ones driving the car, not the computer. But a great question is that compromises are always being made between what the data says and what the driver says. Remember, to be fast, all the drivers have to be happy.

-Johnny
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Mike G writes via email:

Hi Pfadt,

I have the entire Pfadt system on my 02 Z street/track car.

(my tracks = med speed road courses in So Cal... no rovals)

My Pfadt suspension was adjusted as Pfadt suggested and works very well on track and street.

My question is I just changed my 3.42 gear to a 4.10. (460 rwhp/420tq…R rated tires w/added camber)

Now on the street the car transfers much more weight on and off throttle.

I have not had it to the track yet with the 4.10.

I changed gears as the car was too floaty off throttle with the 3.42.

I thought the 4.10 would help transfer weight to the front to help my turn in when off throttle.

At the time the car was neutral so I did not want to change sway bar settings to improve turn in off throttle.

Typically what should I expect and how can I tune the Pfadt double adjustable shocks to take advantage of the 4.10?

Increase front shock rebound or add compression to the rear?

Car has Pfadt coil overs, Pfadt double adj shocks, and Pfadt ady sway bars.

Thank you,

Mike in San Diego

PS I was really impressed with Johnny’s comments on his recent ALMS TV broadcast.

I hope you enjoyed it and will return to TV race coverage when you are not racing.

Of course there are ways to improve your suspension to change your initial throttle off turn in! Your best bet is going to call Pfadt direct because they are intimately familiar with their damper curves on their new coilovers. Generally speaking it is best to tune with compression primarily. But they will have a more specific answer for your set up.

Thank you so much for the comments on my commentary! I love doing it.
Drew M
Team Owner

Hey Johnny,

How did you come to be a factory driver? Most pro drivers bounce around from team to team with mediocre success, but most factory drivers seem to stay put and are racing on a very consistent basis. Another factory driver (of a different manufacturer) told me it's the best place to be.

-Drew

Quick Reply: Pfadt Race Engineering Brings you live Q&A with Racing Legend Johnny O'Connell