Autocrossing & Roadracing Suspension Setup for Track Corvettes, Camber/Caster Adjustments, R-Compound Tires, Race Slicks, Tips on Driving Technique, Events, Results
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pfadt Race Engineering Brings you live Q&A with Racing Legend Johnny O'Connell

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 01:11 AM
sbracer
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Johnny,

1-Which setting do you recommend for track days, stock 06 Z51 with OEM Eagle F1 (currently) & track experience:

All On
Traction CTRL Off
Traction CTRL & Active Off
Competitive Mode - Which does what exactly? Manual is not clear, as it sounds JUST like Traction CNRL Off: "Competitive Driving Mode allows the driver to have full control of the
rear wheels while the Active Handling System helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. The instrument cluster light will not be on. The
Traction Control System will not be operating. Adjust your driving accordingly".

Is there no: Active Off - leaving on Traction CNRL option?

2-And Alignment recommendations (question has been asked). Better yet, a SoCal suspension tuning shop recommendation to install your kit & align properly?

THANKS!!
-Eric

Last edited by sbracer; 08-31-2011 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Additional Question
Old 08-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Daytona Bob
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '09 & '12, '14

Hi Johnny,

I watched a TV show where you and Jimmy Johnson drove Factory Corvettes and the Corvette Race Car. Very Cool!!

Couple of Questions

1. Do you follow Nascar and if so how would you rate the difficulty of a stock car versus other forms of racing?

2. Have you Ever considered driving in any of the Nascar series like a Max Papis or Ron Fellows?

3. Since Joining the GT2 Class are we (Chevrolet) keeping up with Ferrari and other Manufacturers to give Team Corvette the best equipment?

Thanks for your time
Old 08-31-2011, 10:49 AM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,402 Likes on 610 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

I emailed one question in but here is another, not quite as on topic as my other but would only require a short answer:

John, now that you have quite a few races under your belt in the 2011 WC Series, what do you think of Mike Skeen. I really like this guy and what I've seen, he really rocks.

PS: I talked with your good luck charm (the tall blonde Cadillac Flag Girl) at Mid Ohio. She is really awesome and knows her stuff. She sure seemed to help with your luck at Mid-Ohio.
Old 08-31-2011, 10:51 AM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Hey guys! Just testing out the new username. See you in a few minutes.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 AM
RX-Ben
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Johnny, please describe your ideal line (incl braking, trail braking) at Mid-Ohio.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2011, 11:21 AM
BobbyTow007
2nd Gear

Johnny,
As we all know, you have accomplished many things in your career, but my question is, what would you like to accomplish that you haven't already before you retire from your racing career?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:27 AM
BobbyTow007
2nd Gear

Johnny,
As we all know, you have accomplished many things in your career, but my question is, what would you like to accomplish that you haven't already before you retire from your racing career?
Old 08-31-2011, 11:58 AM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by passmenow
Johnny has a future after racing in TV...
I found his Driver's view comments during the ALMS TV coverage very interesting.
PS I have your entire system on my 02 Z and have very much enjoyed it on long tours and track days too.
thank you!
Thanks for the comment about my commentary! I really want to get back to the ALMS, so hopefully this is a one year deal.

I'm glad you're enjoying the JO Package, I love it on my C5 as well.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:02 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by mtndv8
I'm wondering if Johnny will be getting back in a Corvette anytime in the future as well as what his opinion of the differences are between driving the CTS-V, the Camaro and the Corvette and which he likes best...?
Its hard to say if I'll get back in a Corvette, I certainly would like to for the longer events. The Corvette is the highest performance of the three cars but both the CTV-V and the Camaro are still a riot to drive.

What I like best about the Cadillac is that we get to do standing starts.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:03 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by stevebz06
Johnny,

I drive a mostly stock C5 in autocross but this question applies to C6's as well: racing with competition tires in a stock suspended Corvette is murder on the bushings, especially the front. They are literally extruded out of the control arms by brake torque and then the only legal solution is to replace the entire control arm since bushings are not sold seperately.

As a highly influential member of the GM racing team, can you talk to the factory engineers to see if GM would make replacement bushings available, or upgrade the stock bushings for greater durability?
Hi Steve,

Why not just put the JO Package on your car and just be done with it?

All joking aside, I'm sure GM is aware of these issues.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by mcar00
On a track only C6 Z06 (so no need to make compromises for street use) with coil overs what spring rates would you use front and rear for a track like Sebring and a track like VIR? Thanks!
This is a hard one to answer. Spring rate is more relevant to track conditions rather than the actual track. So as a driver, you need to know when you're driving based on your feel, whether you need more or less front a and rear spring.

I can't say you need a 400 front or 600 rear. A good place to start is to talk to guys that have run there before and ask how their cars are set up.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:10 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Larry Bittner
I have an 07 Z06 with Pfadt comp sway bars set to soft and Pfadt adjustable shocks set to 10. When going over turn one at Laguna Seca at about 130 mph, the car quivers like a fish on the line. Any suggestions other than feathering the gas at the crest which loses a lot of time at top speed?
The beautiful thing about the Pfadt suspension is that it's adjustable. If the car is not behaving the way you wish at high speed, the first thing I would do is stiffen the front bar considerably. If you then find a lot of understeer in the car, begin stiffening the rear. But remember your settings for the track and the street will be different.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by jochumr
Just a shoutout to Pfadt Race Engineering ... installed the JO Signature package (bars and shocks) and this 04 ZO6 with 98,000 miles on it feels like new!!! Love'n it!!! Thank you!!
Thanks so much! My C5 has 108,000 miles on it and the the JO Package it is totally a killer athlete. Glad yours is, too.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by autoxer6
Johnny,
What is the typical language that you use with your engineers? High level understeer / oversteer terms vs. the details of say damper plots.

How does this language differ when you are talking with your engineers during a race vs. pre season development testing?

Regards,
Chris Shay
We always use the same language whether its a race or testing. We describe the amount of understeer or oversteer through every aspect of the corner and as it relates to what we're doing with our feet.

The engineers will also look at all the data gathered to further improve the handling of the car. Honestly, there are too many things that the engineers look at to list them here.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:13 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Hey, Johnny, just dropped in to say 'hi'! :
Old 08-31-2011, 12:16 PM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Johnny O@PfadtRacing
We always use the same language whether its a race or testing. We describe the amount of understeer or oversteer through every aspect of the corner and as it relates to what we're doing with our feet.

The engineers will also look at all the data gathered to further improve the handling of the car. Honestly, there are too many things that the engineers look at to list them here.

-Johnny
This kind of reminds me of a question. With modern data acquisition, how much input do you guys as the driver really have? I would think that between you and Ron or Olivier or Jan, etc., you all have slightly different feels and styles. Do they tailor the car to each of you? Or set it up for whoever happens to be the hottest shoe on that track? Or just the way that pleases all the drivers equally?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pfadt Racing
We are still getting more questions coming in for Johnny, like this one from Fairbanks Alaska:

Keep them coming in! Best question gets an allotment of Pfadt Cash!
If you're pleased with how the car handles now don't mess with it. But if you find the car has more understeer than you like, then I would lower the front.

Conversely, if it has too much oversteer, I would raise the front. Part of the challenge in racing is tuning your car, so don't be afraid to experiment.

-Johnny

Get notified of new replies

To Pfadt Race Engineering Brings you live Q&A with Racing Legend Johnny O'Connell

Old 08-31-2011, 12:19 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by YLO Z06
What was the best practical joke the Corvette team played on another ALMS team, or conversely, what was the best joke played on the Corvette team by another team?
That would be when the Aston Martin guys filled my exhaust with brake cleaner!!! And ten miles down the road I was spitting out smoke like blown turbo charger! This was at Petite in 2005. I'll never forget that.

If you ever want to do something fun that works.
Old 08-31-2011, 12:20 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by CandyVette
Hi Johnny, just wanted to ask if you remember autographing my Corvette tattoo on my ankle last year at Petit LeMans. Also wondering if you think the Jake logo is going to change with the introduction of the C7?
How could I ever forget that? And I have no idea what will happen with the Jake Logo.

-Johnny
Old 08-31-2011, 12:23 PM
Johnny O@PfadtRacing
Advanced

Originally Posted by c6hp4fun
Johnny, on your signature suspension kit for the C6 Z06, I assume it was developed for the track. How well does it work at auto-cross?
Actually it was developed for both street and track. It will naturally be a great improvement over stock suspension for autocross, but for that application I'd recommend you play with the bars. You will likely want the rear bar at full stiff.

-Johnny

Quick Reply: Pfadt Race Engineering Brings you live Q&A with Racing Legend Johnny O'Connell